cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One losing internet connection on 5Ghz WiFi only

Iandfisher
Rising Star

Re: Hub One losing internet connection on 5Ghz WiFi only

I think that we should all take to social media with the hashtag #Plusnetrouterfail or similar. Plusnet are hiding behind the 'it's a free router and therefore we do not have a consumer obligation'. I personally don't think that is correct but I feel that if we get some PC mags involved such as Computer Active they may publish an article and shame Plusnet. I often get the error message 'incorrect password' which is a pain as it can take 6 or 7 attempts to get the router to recognise the password. Constantly resetting the router is also a pain as the 5Ghz only stays up for a short period. Plusnet are rubbish in this regard and I can't wait to leave and spread the word along the way that their customer service is pants.

peteharper
Grafter

I agree.

They cant leave us with a signal that drops daily and needs the router resetting to get any decent speed back

Start a Facebook Group!!
NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

I haven't given an update because there is nothing to report.

Plusnet seem to have become a complete joke who even BT want to make vanish.

Absolutely hopeless 'award winning', customer service.
Dlinney

I have been following this discussion for some time and, while recognising that different users have different experiences, my changes seem to have worked for me:

a) Separate 2.5 and 5Ghz with their own SSID

b) Manually configure channels (11 for 2.5G and 48 for 5G)

c) Change DHCP lease to 21 days

Note: I initially set the 5G to Ch36 and it didn't seem stable. I then ran inSSIDer to see what channels nearby systems were using and I saw two SKY routers with strong signals and both on CH36 so switched mine to 48 and since then everything has worked fine.

jwsg
Rising Star

Often with random events you'll see a great long list of fixes from different people but the real fix has to come from Plusnet

I finally went ahead with getting a HH6 off ebay. Setup wasnt painful following the guide posted here

However, Plusnet ought to either switch to HH6, or at least cover the cost for those of us having to sort things out ourselves. Especially as on a renewed contract we get no free router or other perks (and my line is now below 40 on an upto 70 contract thank you very much horrible FTTC)

Algie42
Hooked

Hi Dlinney

I had a) and b) sorted and c) made no additional difference.

Cheers for the suggestion

jamestapp
Dabbler

Hi all,
Reset my router yesterday and everything was fine....devices connected on 5ghz and everything!
But today we are back to square one with devices struggling to connect after leaving the house, and everything connected on 2.4ghz only.

I will try the seperating 5 and 2.4 thing....but one question....if I muck it up can I do a reset to clear it back again?
Never like playing with settings!

If that doesn't work I'm thinking of buying a third party router. £50 to £70 would seem to buy a reasonable middle of the road one.

Regards,
James
Saber3811
Dabbler

Good luck mate. We have had this problem for about a year now and it happens on average three times a week. It was fine for the first 6 months then has had tantrums ever since. I have given up with plus net as they don't seem to be interested and when my contract is up in the new year will be going elsewhere. I am no use on this sort of thing but would suggest a new router as the problem won't go away
jwsg
Rising Star

Getting a HH6 off ebay is an easy option as it works with plusnet and the setup is quite similar to the Hub 1 (HH5) of course. In both cases splitting bands is easy enough, I assumed everyone did this anyway. In fact both have very simplified GUIs compared with enthusiast routers as they dont want people fiddling and causing lots of support calls.

jamestapp
Dabbler

Thanks saber,
Plusnet have always been very good...I have until next September on my contract, but if they would sort it I would definately stay with them.

It is a first world problem...and I can still use wifi, it's just annoying when everything was working great.

All the routers on Amazon seem to be a bit of a lottery too....there are always winners and losers there too!

Might be rolling the dice again!

Regards,
James
JerryH1
Dabbler

You can get a BT Home Hub 6 on Ebay for about £10 and BT Business Smart Hub 6 for about £20 including delivery.  Several of the people on this thread have done this (me included) and as far as I am aware they have all resolved the issues by going this route.  The added bonus is that they give much better WiFi coverage.  Shame on Plusnet for not doing more to sort this problem but my decision was that it was worth spending a few quid rather than wasting any more of my time messing around with the faulty Plusnet hub.

peteharper
Grafter

I bought a BT Bussiness hub as others have.
Crappy service from Plusnet and I will not be dropping the issue until they resolve it somehow.

Very poor Plusnet.
Silanthril
Dabbler

I took the plunge and got a Smart Hub 6 off eBay. Less than £20 and very easy to set up (there's a guide in these forums somewhere that I followed as you do need to change the log on details to your Plusnet one yourusername@plusdsl.net)

But splitting the channels on your Plusnet Hub one is even easier. Log onto the hub using the 192.168.1.254 and the admin password on the back of the router. Click WiFi and then there's a button to split the two channels. You can call the 5ghz one what you want and I would give it a different password. You can then see at s glance if your stuff is connecting at 2.4 or 5ghz just by looking at the channel name.

If you go for the BT Hub (which I would - WiFi signal is much stronger) you can still split the channels using the same process - it just looks a bit different.

Good luck!

jamestapp
Dabbler

Plusnet have split my 5 and 2.4 frequencies tonight and it has proved the 5 is currently unusable - nothing will connect to it so we are all connected to 2.4.

I hope this seperate ssid for 2.4 will at least keep us connected without authentication errors while I decide what to do next. I could do one last thing and check what channel the 5 is on and see if it is contested.

But I might just buy the hh6.

I will say that I got straight through to a Plusnet operator, and he was very helpful.
He also admitted an alternative router might be the best option. I do respect his honesty and if it only costs me 20 quid it's not too bad.

They obviously should do something about the router....but at least I know more about the subject now.

Thanks all,
James
Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hello @jamestapp,

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

I'm sincerely sorry to hear you are having trouble with the 5GHz frequency and I apologise for the frustration caused to you.

I'm glad to hear you've called in and got sufficient advice in regards to this, please get back to us if you need further assistance.

Thanks.