Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One losing internet connection on 5Ghz WiFi only

gibbs2011
Dabbler

Re: 5 GHz connection dropping out

Am absolutely fed up with this. 

A customers for years and now nothing but a disaster of a service that is entirely PlusNets fault. 

I am now tied to a contract until Jan 2021 with a faulty product. [-Censored-]!

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Looks like ispreview.co.uk has published a news report on the subject:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/11/glitchy-5ghz-wifi-hits-users-of-uk-isp-plusnets-hub-on...

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
jwsg
Rising Star

Ive just had another repeat of the problem. It showed first on an Amazon Echo device (as usual)

The router had been re-booted 2 days ago so it wasnt an up-time issue

Disabling/enabling 5Ghz didnt help and a router reboot didnt help

In the end changing from Auto to a fixed channel seemed to fix it

Each device, Echo, TV, phone, etc then needed to be re-connected, with the Echo actually reporting it as a "new connection"

Saber3811
Dabbler

Re: Hub One losing internet connection on 5Ghz WiFi only

Have exactly the same problem. I work from home and can have days when the WiFi drops off completely four or five times an hour to going two or three days without losing it. The phone will still have Internet but the laptop and sonos and alexa will lose WiFi, only getting it back if I reset the router. It seems to be worse if the weather is bad outside particularly windy or if it is raining. As soon as my contract is up I will be leaving plus et which is a shame as the service has been good otherwise but annoy have an unreliable Internet.
Saber3811
Dabbler

Have exactly the same problem. I work from home and can have days when the WiFi drops off completely four or five times an hour to going two or three days without losing it. The phone will still have Internet but the laptop and sonos and alexa will lose WiFi, only getting it back if I reset the router. It seems to be worse if the weather is bad outside particularly windy or if it is raining. As soon as my contract is up I will be leaving plus et which is a shame as the service has been good otherwise but annoy have an unreliable Internet.
Tags (1)
Silanthril
Dabbler

Adding myself to the list of affected customers. I have had this issue since January when I moved and was upgraded to the hub one. I would lose internet connection every week or so and would resolve by restarting the router. I have separated out the two channels so I can see when the 5ghz goes down.

Saw this article this morning and realised I was not alone!

Is it worth raising a ticket?

Thanks

Iandfisher
Rising Star

It really isn't worth posting anymore. Plusnet has clearly decided that it will be cheaper to ignore the problem than solve it. Unfortunately, I'm only 6 months into my contract but I will surely leave as soon as I can. But, along the way I will tell as many people as I can that plusnet is useless unless you want and need a second class service.

Hamba
Grafter

This problem is a real pain but I shan’t be leaving any time soon (providing the recent BT shakeup doesn’t radically change the service).  

I have had very good service from Plusnet over the years and usually find them quick and helpful at sorting out problems.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for your posts, everyone.

We're aware there's an issue and we're still investigating but I'm afraid we don't have an estimated fix just yet.

As soon as anything changes, we'll let you know further.

In the meantime, if you haven't done so already we'd recommend splitting the wireless bands

If anybody is unsure on how to do this or struggles making the changes let us know as we can make the changes remotely for you.

Please note if you factory reset the router the changes revert and will need to be made again

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Algie42
Hooked

Hi.
I am new to this thread but not new to the issue.
We have run the whole gambit of channel changes, factory resets and reboots without any effect.
We have separate SSID names for 2.4 and 5ghz.
Apple, Samsung, Huawei, Google devices effected.
Occasionally if you try to connect a device to 5ghz the router will reset itself and BB connection is briefly lost.
Let's hope you guys at Plusnet can provide a fix soon?
Cheers
stevewx
Grafter

@MatthewWheeler Imagine if your bank said they were aware of you having cash in your account, but told you a 3rd party update was stopping you from accessing it for fares/food/rent/beer/holidays, and just a handful of people are having the problem you describe.  Then bank asks you to fill in a pointless questionnaire asking which banks you try to take cash out, which shops refuse your card, what direct debits have failed, as in looking for patterns of why it fails for everything in a 'lab'!

Probably would not sound so bad if they come across as 'upbeat' whilst promising nothing new, and no end in sight.

Also suggesting they never said you could take your cash out and be thankful they have not gone bankrupt.

Being 'lucky', I was downgraded early on.  Whilst I'm not suffering, I dread Plusnet pushing out the same update overnight after >8*+ months of inaction.

So I've done like others and I am ditching the hardware you supplied.  A £15 BT HH6 has just been delivered.

Steve

Saber3811
Dabbler

Mathew I am not computer savy at all, but I have an old bt home hub 5 that has not been used for about three years. Could I just swap the router and it will run OK with all my stuff?
Algie42
Hooked

I think Saber3811 you are a mind reader or a Jedi.
I just looked through my old kit and I have a HH5 from my time with BT which I used with Plusnet last time around a couple of years ago.
I would be interested in the answer to your question as well.
Regards
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us @Saber3811 and @Algie42 

As long the BT Homehub 5 isn't locked to BT (I think very few are, at least in my experience), this will work with your Plusnet broadband connection. There's a good post Here on how to set one up to work with us.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Russkinguk
Grafter

Hi all,

Yes you can use any router you wish. Word of advice, login to your account on the Plusnet website to obtain your broadband username and password first. 😁