cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One losing internet connection on 5Ghz WiFi only

Jimmypd

Re: 5 GHz connection dropping out

Is there anymore information on this? I have this happening about once or twice a week. Is there a current workaround to mitigate the issues until a proper fix comes out

Russkinguk
Grafter

Personally, I had quite a bit of success by extending the DHCP lease time from 1 day to 21 days. This greatly reduced the frequency of the issue for me but you only had to look in the router logs to see that the router still wasn't happy. It would be very chatty, renegotiating leases every few seconds and would drop broadband connection momentarily every few days.

Honestly, I just bought a second hand BT hh7 off eBay in the end. 7 quid delivered. Broadband connected for over two weeks and no 5g shenanigans. The WiFi range on these things is MUCH better too. Where I was using the three Plusnet hub one's I'd collected over the years to get good coverage around the house, the one hh7 has it covered beautifully. Honestly, I wouldn't look back.
schabe

I'm also having this issue since receiving a new Plusnet router in September.

In some cases, the connection stays active on the device, but Internet access is not available. In other cases, it drops out intermittently.

In the first case, the device connects to 5ghz but cannot connect to the Internet. In the latter case, the connection opts for the 2.4ghz network, but then drops off and I have to force it to reconnect by selecting the network. This generally affects newer or Apple products which tend to go for the 5ghz option.

I tried adjusting the DHCP lease to 21 days, but to no avail there. For now, I've just disabled the 2.4ghz network.

I've attached my router log from the last ten minutes, this includes the 2.4ghz drop outs caused by 5ghz being on, followed by me disconnecting it.

I'd be well up for that downgrade if possible - in lieu of a solution.

Andrew_Hardisty
Dabbler

Hi all,

I came here to ask if anyone else was having problems with the 5GHz SSID stopping working and I see there's a thread with 27 pages worth of posts on this issue 😯. I'm not going to read through everything but I'll add a few details about what I've experienced.

My Plusnet Hub One is on Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263,  Last updated 21/03/19 and this problem has happened twice in recent weeks. I have separate SSIDs for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz radios with manual channel selection. The router is in this state now and I'm using the 2.4GHz SSID at the moment. All I've tried is disabling and re-enabling the 5GHz SSID in the admin interface but that didn't fix it.

The only thing that has changed recently is I fired up my Xubuntu 16.04 OpenVPN server which is connected to the 5GHz SSID to use while I was away on holiday. The problem must have started about a week after I'd last restarted it (due to same issue) before going away as I noticed my VPN client started timing out when trying to connect (should have moved the box and used a cable!). Since I'd seen the problem once before, I assumed something had gone wrong with the router or maybe the old PC I use for OpenVPN rather than my house had burned down or something. Sure enough that was the case. When I first turned on my main Windows 10 PC after getting back home it showed as connected to the 5GHz SSID but no internet, but now it won't even connect to it. I checked if it was just the DNS issue that's been seen on these routers but found that even if querying specific DNS servers rather than the router nothing came back and switching to 2.4GHz got everything working.

Does anyone want me to check/try anything while it in the broken state before I restart it?

I'll try the suggestion about increasing the DHCP lease time.

Thanks

movisman
Dabbler

Hi all,

Just to follow up really on some of my previous messages. So, as I mentioned, I did end up purchasing a BT Business Smart Hub 6 on eBay, hence why i've been a bit quiet on this thread for a couple of weeks. Since replacing the Plusnet One with the Smart Hub 6, to be honest, everything is frankly, much better. As well as not having any issues with 5ghz, wireless range and speed is noticeably better across the board. As it is the business variant of the hub where you can set custom DNS, II also used the Cloudflare servers for good measure instead of the Plusnet DNS.

For anyone's info, out of the box, the HH6 did not perform any updates, but after running it for 4-5 days or so, it pulled an update by itself (in my case SG4B1B0092BC, which does not yield any results when searching online yet). Perhaps it is a pretty new release.

Anyway, the only other settings I changed really were setting the channel manually for 2.4ghz. This is because when left to automatic, if it sets itself to a higher channel, my Panasonic Microwave (inverter model) interferes greatly with the Wi-Fi. So I force it to Channel 1 and this fixes the issue as it is the furthest away from the frequency that the microwave runs on. I left the 2.4 and 5ghz SSID's combined, because I want to see over time how clients handle their connectivity and band steering. So far, it seems to be performing ok.

Back to the Plusnet One router, this is now unplugged and back in the box for now. But I will still stay subscribed to this thread and offer any input where useful, as it would be great to fix this problem. Some of the effort and time people on this thread have put in to try and help move this on and get it fixed is admirable. It's a bit of a shambles on the Plusnet side that it's been outstanding for so long to be honest, but there we go. I hope with the recent developments (especially the work done by @NigeBoy), that a firmware update will eventually pushed to these devices.

If anyone is getting tired of the progress made so far, I certainly would recommend trying the Smart Hub 6 out from my personal experience so far. It was very easy to set up and there are useful guides on this forum for anyone who is not sure. You don't really need the business variant unless you prefer to set custom DNS. I was happy to spend a few quid extra though so I have the extra functions.

Cheers

marcyd
Dabbler

Plusnet please supply an update as all 3 of my plusnet accounts use this hub and I dont see why I should buy 3 new devices when I could switch provider and get them for free????Huh
LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Hi @marcyd,

Thanks for getting in touch.

I'm sorry other than what @bobpullen  has already referred to earlier in this thread I'm unable to advise any further. Please continue to visit here periodically to monitor for updates.

Thanks - LF

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) Tag fixed.

Mrg1981
Grafter

As with @movisman I switched to a BT homehub and it's all good. But I am rather miffed I've had to go that route.

I would love to know how many people have this issue but it is masked by the fact the out the box settings would mask it due to the 2 bands being tied together.

Hamba
Grafter

Just had my first 5GHz disconnection in ten days.

My DHCP lease time was set to 10 days and that period has just ended.

This time I managed to reconnect without restarting the hub.  What I did was to go to the 5GHz settings and re-apply/save them.

dayvie
Dabbler

Not sure why this had been marked as fixed - the only fix so far is buying your own router.
gibbs2011
Dabbler

Today I shall be calling ofcom for a chat about this. 

Utter [-Censored-]e levels of service from Plus[-Censored-]e of a company. 

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for your post @gibbs2011

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you're having.

We're aware there's problems and we're investigating these but I'm afraid we don't have a confirmed fix yet

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@dayvie
I accidentally marked it as fixed yesterday with an accidental touch of my phone screen 🤣🤣!
I very quickly unmarked it when I realised 😁.
It certainly isn't fixed.
gibbs2011
Dabbler

So since this firmware was deployed on 29/03/19 an you've yet to get a confirmed fix? 

What have you lot been doing then since March other than giving us all the around 

sullys666
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

In some ways I am disappointed I have changed to fibre. I was assured when I spoke to your representative regarding swapping that the fibre that the Hub One was problem free and had decent WiFi.  That clearly isn't the case. Plusnet and their router suppliers should be working far harder to resolve this issue and stop fobbing people off with excuses.  Not everyone can afford to go out and buy a decent router. 

So far, after splitting my bands and assigning just my Sky+ Box to the 5ghz I have had no issues.  I have also got both channels set on my Nokia 3 mobile and it seems to choose itself which is best to connect to depending on where I am in the house.