cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One losing internet connection on 5Ghz WiFi only

Dlinney

Re: 5 GHz connection dropping out

Tried this and it has certainly made a difference. After setting DHCP lease to 21 days and restarting the router I can now join the 5GHz wifi from my iPad, iPhone and PC - all of which where causing joining problems (never could get PC to join). Too soon to tell if its going to last but so far so good.

movisman
Dabbler

Ha, indeed!

I have been running on 2.4ghz only (5ghz disabled) since Saturday night and so far everything is stable. No doubt if I re-enable 5ghz I will have problems, but I will give it a go and extend the lease time to see if the behaviour changes.

Russkinguk
Grafter

I've been running the DHCP lease time at 21 days for more than 21 days now. It has certainly improved things but it does come with its own problems:

1. I've found the router dropping the broadband connection every few days.
  2. If you check the router logs it's doing DHCP lease renegotiations and UPNP port opening and closing every few seconds which means the router is working overtime.
  3. Devices do now and again drop off the network still but the important point is, it recovers and they reconnect.
SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

I have the problem - I don't use the internal DHCP server in the router as I have devices on my local network which I need to access from other machines.

With the DHCP server disabled the problem happens at random times after fixing it.

Sengoku
Dabbler

@Russkinguk - all credit to you for suggesting to change the DHCP expiry time.  If you hadn't mentioned it in an earlier post, I never would have tried it Smiley  Thanks.

Sengoku
Dabbler

Quick update after I checked my settings:

2.4GHz - manual channel 9 (checked best channel using app 'WiFi Analyzer')

5GHz - manual channel 36 (might be good for my LG TV, main thing is it's not set to Automatic)

DHCP - set to 21 days

Last router restart - Fri 11th October, since then 2.4 and 5GHz have both been working fine.  I haven't split the 2.4 and 5GHz bands and the wireless interface type is set to the maximum speed on both bands.

Not sure if this will help anyone but thought I'd share it anyway.

Hamba
Grafter

Just bought an unused Bt Hub 6 on Facebook Marketplace at a very good price.  It's coming by post so, hopefully within a few days,  the woes of the Hub One will end for me., 

Russkinguk
Grafter

Same. I won an ebay bid last night for 7 quid delivered. Plusnet really ought to be embarrassed by their total mishandling of this entire situation. Months of them insisting the issue is "only affecting a few" and "difficult to reproduce". Shameful.

Toft
Hooked

Just another person who has experienced this, basically every day. Now that I've seen this thread, I'll try changing the channel and report back. I had already changed the DHCP lease time of my own accord but that didn't seem to help.

movisman
Dabbler

I did try manual channels, but for me it did not make any difference. 5ghz would still fall over within a day or so.

Since disabling it, all week my connection has been stable.

But I want 5ghz to work, so although I paid a bit more for the business version (20 inc. delivery) I also have a BT Smarthub 6 on the way which is brand new. I got the business version because I decided I would like to use custom DNS servers, so it was worth the little extra cost if it works as well as others suggest.

Waiting for it to turn up, but will see how it performs and post back on here.

Toft
Hooked

I set the channels manually, and also extended DHCP, but nothing has helped.

This is an appalling state of affairs. If someone from Plusnet sees this, please DM me as I would like to downgrade to the previous firmware.

Dlinney

This may not be of help but have you tried different manual channels. E.g. my neighbour's house is about 60 feet away but I can see his SKY router wifi showing full signal strength when I look for wifi in my house and its transmitting on the 5Ghz wavelength so may be interefering on some channels.

Sengoku
Dabbler

Sorry all, was really hoping that the manual channels and DHCP lease time might have done the trick.  Just did a speed test and although I can connect to the 5GHz band without any issue, my WiFi speed is maxing out at 30Mbps and I'm paying for 78Mbps.  If I restart the router now I know it will go back to 78Mbps.

Looks like the BT Home Hub 6 aka BT Smart Hub is looking more and more likely.  Might be worth checking out any deals on Shpock as well as ebay as you might find someone is selling one of these fairly close to where you live, just a thought.

Toft
Hooked

Thanks, I'll give another channel a try. But I'm unhappy as I've been getting random disconnects from the internet itself, even in addition to router issues with both the previous router and now this one. It's becoming intolerable and I will be looking into whether another supplier may be the answer.

movisman
Dabbler

For this particular issue on the thread, I don't think changing channels to manual will help, i've tried both auto and manual on 5ghz and have the same issue.

If you have been getting random disconnects, are these disconnects happening on your wired devices as well (if you have any)? Or just wireless?

If its only wireless which is affected, one thing to try is to disable the 5ghz wireless entirely, just leaving the 2.4ghz active. If your connection is stable after that you probably have the same thing going on as the rest of us, which looks like it can only be solved with a fixed firmware release. Either that, or a downgrade to the previous version of the firmware which doesn't have the problem. I am not sure if Plusnet will downgrade devices on request, someone else might be able to confirm this.

Cheers