cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One losing internet connection on 5Ghz WiFi only

Mewcenary
Grafter

Re: Hub One losing internet connection on 5Ghz WiFi only

One of the key issues to remember here is that the router demonstrates it is faulty / not fit for purpose by the fact you need to desync the bands for iPhones etc to work in the first place.

I've not experienced this with any other router, public or private.

Mrg1981
Grafter

I thought I would just post an update to my personal situation.

I have had a good WiFi connection on the 5GHz, BUT Nothing apart from the hub can see anything on the 5GHz band and anything on that band can't see ANYTHING, not even the hubs settings home page!!

Basically the 5GHz chip has been put in the naughty corner facing the wall and the rest of the hub has turned it's back.

I'm seriously starting to wonder if this isn't the same issue as the Xbox, PS3, Sony phones and all other modern electronics where the soldering process is letting us down. Might be taking my hub apart for inspection. Since I don't think this has any warranty on it. If it did then I would have a working one by now............hhhmmmmmm

(oh [-Censored-] I've become one of the bitter ones.....)

Hamba
Grafter

Re: 5 GHz connection dropping out

@Hamba wrote:

Since turning off smart wireless on 5Ghz,  a couple of days ago,  I've had no disconnections.  

Will it last?   I tried before and it didn't:   I'll have to wait and see. 

It didn't last.  Lost 5ghz connection again this afternoon and the only way to get it back was to restart the Hub.

I'm not sure it would have lasted this long if I hadn't restarted the Hub a couple of days ago for an unrelated reason.

interestingly, after the disconnection, I couldn't connect to the Hub via 2.4ghz on my iPad Air or mini.  I had to turn on my laptop which did manage to connect on 2.4.  

So turning off smart wireless didn't help.

gibbs2011
Dabbler

Everything working on the limited 2ghz band until I come home this evening and the router is in a frenzy and won't let anything connect without a reset to factory defaults which then turns back on the 5ghz - back to the nightmare 

Any word of you lot actually doing somehtinga bout this 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us @gibbs2011 

I'm afraid I've nothing further to add to my response Here.

If you want to assist us with the investigation, please kindly fill out the 8 step questionnaire found Here

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mrg1981
Grafter

OK I DID IT......

I opened my hub up and was quite frankly appalled at the state of the PCB. But then I normally am these days. 

Large patches of flux that even my trusty FLUX-OFF wouldn't eat in to.

Also loads of the QFN packages (of which there are a lot more of on the 5GHz side than the 2.5) that had blobbed solder joints, which if the solder paste screen is right means the solder that should make the joint is not actually making the joint.

But more to my surprise is that all the pictures I've seen of the hub one's (and BT HH5) innards show a Lantiq main processor.

Mine has a no brand chip with a marking that is amazingly a non-hitter on Bing and almost a Googlewhack!! (just an image of a Nissan comes up).

So what happened to the Lantiq chip? and after seeing this I now realise the questionnaire doesn't ask for the unit serial number to check if they contain the same PCB revision.

Mr Sagemcom, what is this no name chip?

gibbs2011
Dabbler

I offered to provide detailed logs from my network that has went unanswered. 

And am back in here now to complain yet again it's got into a frenzy and another reset.

I now formally request you roll me back to the previous version of firmware or else confirm that I can leave my contract penalty free.  You can use the excuse that we don't cover our wifi, but you do cover an acceptable wired router product that functions and that is not the case. After all, it is YOUR firmware that almost turned it un-useable  

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@gibbs2011 wrote:

I offered to provide detailed logs from my network that has went unanswered. 

Please see this post I've now linked a few times:

@bobpullen wrote:

Logs collected from affected customers' devices don't tell us anything we don't already know

And am back in here now to complain yet again it's got into a frenzy and another reset.

What's going to be useful to us for the investigation is to fill out the questionnaire.

Please do let us know if you decide to go ahead and again I do apologise for the inconvenience.

I now formally request you roll me back to the previous version of firmware

I'm afraid we won't be in a position to do this.

or else confirm that I can leave my contract penalty free.  

If you want to discuss cancellation, I'd recommend calling our customer options team on 0800 013 2632 as unfortunately we can't take cancellation requests via our community forums however it's possible that we won't be in a position to waive any early termination fees because WiFi is not a guaranteed service.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
gibbs2011
Dabbler

Absolute farce !

Iandfisher
Rising Star

It's getting worse. I now can't access the internet because I get the following error - http://failed.billing.plus.net/apps/payment/failed

Called tech support and they confirmed that my account was up to date and asked me to perform a factory reset. did that and it worked for a while. 1 hour later i have the same problem.

Russkinguk
Grafter

***** Possible Workaround Ahead *****

So this has just got interesting. 

I was looking through all the router setting for anything that was set to 1 day (because, you know, I have to reboot this damn thing every day) and found that the default DHCP lease time was indeed set to 1 day. I set this to the maximum allowed value of 21 days and since then, I have not had to reboot my router. I've been running with both 5ghz and 2.4ghz enabled now for 6 days which is a record for me as I would normally have had to reboot 4 or 5 times by now.

I've also noticed that general stability of both 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks is also improved. Before I would get regular but temporary loss of connectivity. Since the DHCP change it's been flawless.

Maybe worth giving this a try peeps.

Mrg1981
Grafter

@Russkinguk if that works maybe you should try going through each device (through the network page) and setting each of them to always use the same address.

It's definitely issues with the chips talking to each other.

Again I bet this all works fine on the original version of this hub, but subsequent chipset changes have slight issues, probably just a clock line drifting off sync or something

TBH I've swapped to a BT hub6 as  found one for 99p

SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

I don't use the DHCP server in the hub and I have the issue with the 5GHz wireless since I was upgraded to 4.7.5.1.83.8.263. 

Previous firmware versions didn't have this problem - they just had another annoying bugs.

I do wonder if, as someone else has suggested, this is actually down to different motherboards in the hub.

Just for info the S/N on my hub is +081441+NQ64721019

Mrg1981
Grafter

Wondered the same when I found that some have Lantiq branded chips but mine had an unbranded chip. Could only assume the plusnet specific ones had a specifically made chip and the old BT stock were Lantiq. But the PCB revisions are the same.

so your SN is NQ64721019 and mine is NQ81822799
(the beginning of the number is the model)
Anonymous
Not applicable

So does the NQ mean No Quality Grin