cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One losing internet connection on 5Ghz WiFi only

Mrg1981
Grafter

Re: 5 GHz connection dropping out

So from what I see there are several of us with NAS devices and Google chromecast on the same network. And the rest seem to be Apple. Now NAS and streaming devices are notoriously data thirsty and since Apple devices are reasonably data hungry compared toe the Android equivalent could it be something to do with through-put?

I don't see how that is in my case, all the high demand items are on the wired network, and the win 10 machine (notoriously high data thief thanks to the update policy) is on 2.4. But just wondered. For the record my data usage in the last 5 days (since I cycled the router) is 19GB down and 1.3GB up. And I only do general browsing.

I have noticed this recently and remember having similar things in the event log throughout the year. Since I'm a hardware guy not software I'm not sure of the relavence.

19:31:47, 16 Sep. IN: BLOCK [16] Remote administration (TCP [104.248.129.235]:44552-​>[209.93.32.156]:443 on ppp3)
19:30:38, 16 Sep. IN: BLOCK [16] Remote administration (TCP [80.82.70.118]:60000-​>[209.93.32.156]:443 on ppp3)
19:30:06, 16 Sep. IN: BLOCK [16] Remote administration (TCP [34.76.150.32]:35626-​>[209.93.32.156]:443 on ppp3)
19:28:12, 16 Sep. BLOCKED 3 more packets (because of ICMP replay)
19:28:10, 16 Sep. OUT: BLOCK [7] ICMP replay (ICMP type 3 code 1 209.93.32.156-​>104.82.81.173 on ppp3)
19:26:58, 16 Sep. IN: BLOCK [16] Remote administration (TCP [165.16.37.180]:63972-​>[209.93.32.156]:80 on ppp3)
19:25:42, 16 Sep. BLOCKED 2 more packets (because of ICMP replay)
Mrg1981
Grafter

I've spotted another commonality.

Devices that we access remotely!!

So there are nest devices, Samsung security and NAS.

But that's just from the recent posts.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Thanks guys -

I've added all of the most recent (since my last post) examples to our Products Team's database.

Norrette
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Now this is interesting

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/HomeHub-6-WiFi-issues/td-p/1828841

Best to make sure you get the correct BT Hub.  Replicating the issue on the Home Hub.

Hamba
Grafter

Since turning off smart wireless on 5Ghz,  a couple of days ago,  I've had no disconnections.  

Will it last?   I tried before and it didn't:   I'll have to wait and see. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

I've discussed this with @bobpullen from our products team and the questionnaire we need anyone affected by this issue to fill out is the 8 step one we've started using as opposed to the 10 step one.

1. Exactly how does the problem masquerade itself, what are the symptoms?

2. When did the problem start?

3. What firmware version is customer running and when was it last updated (this info is in the footer of the router config pages, or available via Device Diagnostics for those with access)?

4. What devices does the customer have on their network and how are they connected, eg. wired or wireless? *Please provide as much details as possible, with specific model names/numbers where possible*

5. How is the customer's network configured i.e. any Powerline adapters, additional switches, attached storage or or wi-fi access points in use? *Again, please provide as much detail as possible*

6. What devices does the problem affect and what software/firmware versions are they running (if known). This will help us try and replicate the issue in a lab environment. *Once more, please provide as much detail as possible*

7. Are the 2.4GHz/5GHz radios separated or merged (they're merged by default). If separated, which radio is affected (or is it both)?

8. Has the customer tried factory resetting? (if not, please ask them to try this)

This information really does help us in our investigation and we appreciate people taking the time to fill it out. We won't be downgrading anyone's firmware anymore on an ad-hoc basis as this will cause further issues for everyone involved.

The workaround is to switch the 5GHz off. While we get that's less than ideal, I'm afraid there isn't anything more we can suggest. Thanks in advance for filling out the questionnaire and I do sincerely apologise for the hassle this causes.

@Norrette wrote:

@Gandalf, despite the fact that the poster was wrong in blaming support staff for a tech problem  - I do have a problem with your statement : " I'm afraid this isn't for a router as the routers we provide are free of charge however this doesn't mean that we're not investigating. "  << if that's the case why did Plusnet force down an upgrade?  By doing so PN should take responsibility?

As per my response on the 15th September, we are taking responsibility.

@Gandalf wrote:

this acknowledged issue isn’t affecting everyone and as such that makes things a little more difficult to diagnose however I agree with you that it’s our responsibility, so we’re investigating to get to the bottom of the problem.

@Hamba wrote:

Since turning off smart wireless on 5Ghz,  a couple of days ago,  I've had no disconnections.  

Will it last?   I tried before and it didn't:   I'll have to wait and see. 

If switching the 5GHz frequency off causes your WiFi to drop out then you're not affected by this issue. I'd recommend carrying out the steps Here if the 2.4GHz frequency drops with the 5GHz band off.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mrg1981
Grafter

@Gandalf regarding @Norrette switching off "smart wireless", they mean they have selected a fixed channel number instead of automatic which is listed as "Automatic (smart wireless)"

Which worked for me for an hour or so.

Speaking to the guys at work I have a few things to try, but we came to a thought that maybe the port forwarding is causing addressing issues internally. So tonight I shall try some things and get back.

Russkinguk
Grafter

Re: Hub One losing internet connection on 5Ghz WiFi only

Experiment over!

5g network with only one device (android phone) connected to it. It held out for 2 and a bit days but has just died. I fail to believe this issue is caused by device or load. To add to this, I had another Hub One running with 5g already disabled. I re-enabled it yesterday but it was already knackered and wouldn’t accept connections. That one literally broke without anything connected to it whatsoever!

Something is very off with all this. Firmware .263 is broken but the previous firmware version apparently works fine. That gives you a very small window of change where the issue was introduced so really shouldn’t take 7 months to work out from there. Rolling back the firmware we know works but has since been rescinded as an option with no real explanation as to why. I’m sorry but I think we’re all being had here.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Mrg1981 thanks for the clarification, I think I misread their post. Oops. Yeah I've seen reports around these parts of at least one person selecting a higher channel on the 5GHz frequency making it more stable.

@Russkinguk thanks for the observations. It's worth noting that while one or two people may not experience problems on a previous version, it doesn't mean that everyone won't see no issues.

It's also unfortunately not as straightforward as you'd imagine that we'd simply downgrade you and that'll be that, there are various issues that come with that for everyone involved which I'm unable to go into specific detail about.

If it was a viable solution, we'd happily have continued to do it as there's no benefit of us refusing to do this without good reason, because it affects your experience as our customer and causes complaints into the contact centre. We're here to resolve complaints and want to as quickly as we can with the viable options we have available to us. 

Obviously when I'm typing you I'm meaning the royal you as in everyone who's seeing issues with the 5GHz frequency.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mrg1981
Grafter

@Russkinguk can you try something. I know you're done with experiments but I'm not staff just a tinkerer that has come across something. 

Try turning the hubs firewall off, reconnect the devices then turn it back on before the internet nasties get in.

I've been up for an hour now with a nice fast connection speed. I did also reboot the hub prior to this change as was looking at the UPnP as well. But post reboot I had connection but no internet. Hence looking at the firewall. So I stand by my suggestion that the 5GHz either uses an internal port that the new firmware blocks or something similar.

EDIT - Just thought I should tag @bobpullen on this if he's from products. 

Norrette
Grafter
Fixes: 1

@Mrg1981 wrote:

But post reboot I had connection but no internet. Hence looking at the firewall.

My thoughts too. As local network is not affected the issue has to sit between the network and >  the firewall, the cabinet, the exchange. I reckon it's one of the last two - an incompability which, if it's the cabinet - could cost a lot of money to fix.

Mrg1981
Grafter

@Norrette It can't be between the the hub and the outside world (ie- the exchange or cabinet) as that would affect all the devices not just the 5GHz. It has to be something internal to the hub.

Thanks to a picture on Flickr (attached) you can clearly see that the 2 wifi bands are 2 separate chips. So it only needs the firmware to have an addressing issue and not talk to this chip for the whole thing to fall down. But of course being it's own chip, the signal will still broadcast (the wifi network will still be visible) even if it can't talk to the main processor, which may well cause the connected no internet issue. TO further make things more complicated for the people that developed that hub, the 2 wifi chips are different manufacturers!! Really? so there's the possibility that they have different command structures and instructions...........wow, that was a design of desperation or necessity, doubt it was choice.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I agree with @Mrg1981 in that this really can’t be an issue on the Openreach network even if the 2.4GHz frequency is also affected because wireless signal exists within your home between your router and your devices, it doesn’t go as far as the exchange or cabinet.

We’ve seen incompatibilities before between cabinet/exchange equipment and routers affecting their ability to connect to the broadband properly but what we’re talking here is specifically WiFi. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mrg1981
Grafter

Right, so sometime yesterday (I was at work so not sure when) the 5GHz went back to "no internet" but still accepts connections.

I see why people are getting annoyed as even the previous firmware had issues with the wifi not talking to the main chipset. I found this thread when looking for the addresses to add into the firewall as exception and there is no staff comments on this thread at all back in 2017!!

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Has-my-Hub-got-a-fault/td-p/1417947

So there has been over 2 years of wifi issues with these hubs. I do hope they are not still being supplied to new customers.

The company I work for has products that just one customer has reported repeated issues that we can't replicate and neither has it shown with other customers, but so as to not cause issue with new customers we always advise the updated version. Does plusnet have an alternative?

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @Mrg1981,

The thread OP marked the first reply on that particular thread as a fix to the issue therefore there was no need for a member of staff to suggest another fix.

We completely understand the frustration that this is causing but I am afraid we do not have alternatives to the Hub One however our Products team are constantly reviewing the performance issues with some of our routers with our suppliers.

I am sorry for the inconvenience this is causing.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team