Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One losing internet connection on 5Ghz WiFi only

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Hub One losing internet connection on 5Ghz WiFi only

Hi @Russkinguk thanks for the testing. Could you and anyone else who hasn’t yet and are experiencing issues with the 5GHz frequency, possibly fill out the questionnaire?

I don’t get the reluctance on this thread to do that, it’ll likely just take around 10 mins maybe a tad longer if you make a cup of tea (I recommend Yorkshire Tea) halfway through. 

Thanks for your time. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Russkinguk
Grafter

Hi @Gandalf ,

I think if you read through all these comments, (and I mean really reading them and trying to understand what is being said as well as what isn't being said), then I think you'll find there is not only a lack of faith in filling out this questionnaire but actually, you have received many of these answers already. This is why several of us have previously offered something potentially more constructive and fruitful than simply filling out the form like running experiments and providing access to logs.

So ok, I'll do my bit then. Here is my form. It was difficult to provide anything that I hadn't already seen (or mentioned myself) in this thread but I did my best. May I now ask for some transparency in return and ask you what will actually happen with this form? I know you will pass it on to the products team but what does that actually mean? What will they do with it? Will they go out and buy the devices I've mentioned in an attempt to reproduce the issue for example?

1. Exactly how does the problem masquerade itself, what are the symptoms?
 After a period of time you are not able to connect to the 5g SSID. Any attempt to connect to 5.g while the router is in this state is greeted with some error. On iPad for example I get "Invalid Password". For devices without a ui (e.g. google home mini's) they are simply disconnected from the network and you can see their own radios broadcasting out under separate SSIDs.

2. When did the problem start?
 Months ago. Around February.

3. What firmware version are you running and when was it last updated?
 .263, updated February.

4. What devices do you have on their network and how are you connected, eg. wired or wireless? *Please provide as much details as possible, with specific model names/numbers where possible*

Ethernet:

Win10 PC, AppleTV, 2x Android TV's, YouView Box.

2.4g:

Nest Cam, Nest Thermo, Next Protect, Android Phone, iPad 2nd Gen

5.g:

6x google home mini, Chromecast 3rd gen, Macbook Pro, iPad Air. Android Phone.

5. How is your network configured i.e. any Powerline adapters, additional switches, attached storage or or wi-fi access points in use? *Again, please provide as much detail as possible*
Router connected to BT master socket and Powerline adapter via ethernet interface. Powerline adapters connecting various rooms. A Netgear 5 port unmanaged hub connected to the powerlines in those rooms.

6. What devices does the problem affect and what software/firmware versions are they running (if known). This will help us try and replicate the issue in a lab environment. *Once more, please provide as much detail as possible*
Anything on the 5g band. For example, all 6 google home mini's will drop off the network along with the one 3rd gen Chromecast. My android phone (Moto 5G), iPad Air and MacBook Pro will also be unable to connect to 5g and instead get an error message (usually "invalid password"). This issue is resolved by simply restarting the router.

7. Are the 2.4GHz/5GHz radios separated or merged (they're merged by default). If separated, which radio is affected (or is it both)?
Separated. 5g affected. 2.4g continues to operate.

8. Have you tried factory resetting? (if not, please try this)

Yes.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @Russkinguk thanks for getting back to us. We’ll add your answers onto the investigation, although it looks like the particular form you’ve filled out is missing 2 questions. Presumably the answer to the first one is a yes...

9. Would you be willing to downgrade firmware if we need to in order to help diagnose the issue. Bear in mind this will wipe all of the settings back to factory defaults, and we may need to upgrade/downgrade a second time to further prove that it's the firmware that's the cause of the issue.

10. Would you be willing to facilitate a home visit so that hardware engineers can carry out further diagnosis of the problem? (note that any visit would be to capture further wi-fi diagnostics, and not to necessarily 'fix' anything).

From reading the post Bob made on the 5th September here I don’t think that extra logs at this stage will tell us anything else.

While I don’t personally know anything more about what happens behind the scenes I’m happy to find out and post back if I get anything I can share.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Hamba
Grafter

Re: 5 GHz connection dropping out

@Gandalf wrote:

What may help our investigation is if you could complete the below questionnaire that our products team have provided. This will hopefully allow us to replicate the problem in a lab environment.

Quite often and randomly  I lose my 5Ghz connection and in order to get it back I have to restart the Hub.  Sometimes switching  to 2.4Ghz and changing the 5Ghz channel works but soon fails.

I noticed it not long after I upgraded to fibre extra and received the Hub One - the end of July.

Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 31/07/19

4. What devices do you have on their network and how are they connected, e.g. wired or wireless.

WD MyCloud - wired,  Acer laptop,  Lenovo Laptop. Apple TV,  IPad Air 2,  IPad Mini,  iPod Touch - all wireless.

5. How is your network configured i.e. any Powerline adapters, additional switches, attached storage or or wi-fi access points in use?

Hub One connected to openreach master socket 5C MK4.  Wdmycloud connected to Lan port.  No switches or access points.

6. What devices does the problem affect and what software/firmware versions are they running (if known). This will help us try and replicate the issue in a lab environment.

Apple TV HD A1625: tvOS 12.4.1,  IPad Air 2 MG2X2B/A: iOS 10.3.3,  IPad Mini 2 ME856B/A: iOS 12.4.1

7. Are the 2.4GHz/5GHz radios separated or merged (they're merged by default). If separated, which radio is affected (or is it both)?

Separated. 5Ghz 

8. Has the customer tried factory resetting? (If you've not, please try this)

Yes

9. Would you be willing to downgrade firmware if we need to in order to help diagnose the issue. Bear in mind this will wipe all of the settings back to factory defaults, and we may need to upgrade/downgrade a second time to further prove that it's the firmware that's the cause of the issue.

Yes

10. Would you be willing to facilitate a home visit so that hardware engineers can carry out further diagnosis of the problem? (note that any visit would be to capture further wi-fi diagnostics, and not to necessarily 'fix' anything).

Yes

Finally as a more immediate step it may be worth changing the wireless channel on the 5GHz frequency itself as I've heard from at least one person around these parts that appears to improve the stability.

Tried this but disconnections continue.

Moderators Note: Fixed quotes

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Thank you for answering those questions, Hamba. I have raised this over to our products team so that they can investigate this further.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
dayvie
Dabbler

Hey @EmilyD 

Considering that this issue was raised in (checks original posts) April, do you think it is reasonable for a bit of transparency regarding this issue?

For example, 

1. has the bug been replicated internally by the Plusnet product team and a fix is in the works?
  2. can the product team not replicate the bug and require more information?
  3. have engineers been out to customers who have filled out the questionnaire stating that they agree to this happening?
  4. have firmware downgrades been given to people who have filled out the questionnaire stating that they agree to one?
  5. if not what is the process of getting a firmware downgrade?

You're probably aware a lot of people are frustrated about this, but the lack of updates and movement around this issue is contributing to this. 

I know it's also unfair to unload frustrations on to you and your colleagues working on the Community side, but any information you can gather on this would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Norrette
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Make it at least 8 - again I've been to busy to address it. I move everything off 5Ghz then try again a week later - ok for a very short while then once again no internet access.

Still wading through this thread from 17 on.  Apologies to the OP - for if we all had spoken up earlier, staff may have realised from the start that is a broad issue.

Norrette
Grafter

@Gandalf, despite the fact that the poster was wrong in blaming support staff for a tech problem  - I do have a problem with your statement : " I'm afraid this isn't for a router as the routers we provide are free of charge however this doesn't mean that we're not investigating. "  << if that's the case why did Plusnet force down an upgrade?  By doing so PN should take responsibility?

mjcoops99

I bit the bullet and left Plusnet as I was having all of the problems as others described and found that the Wifi was just too flaky across my house from both coverage, speed and connections.  I wanted to use google mesh, but couldn't as the hub cannot be put into bridge only mode.

However, it's not as green on the otherside when you switch.

I switched to VIrgin Media as they'd just laid the fibre in my street, offered an incredible price and would guarantee me 200mb speed.  However in reality the wifi from their hub is even worse than the wifi from the Plusnet hub.  Wifi coverage within the house was patchy at bese, speed was down to 25mb through ethernet, even less on wifi AND it kept dropping the connections to smart tvs and sky q just like plusnet.  I cancelled within 14 days and am waiting to return all the kit.

I switched my broadband to BT, but the HomeHub 6 doesn't like Sky Q and wouldn't play nicely with it.  It gives good wifi coverage around the entire house, but if it won't play with Sky then it's no good for me.

Finally got it all working by replacing the BT HomeHub6 with a Draytek Vigor 130 modem and Google mesh/wifi using 3 pucks.  That's an expensive replacement for the bog standard HomeHub, but I now have problem free wifi throughout the entire house on both 2.4 and 5 ghz.

So I discovered the routers from Plusnet, Virgin and BT all have their own problems, and the only way to solve it is to get proper kit.

Norrette
Grafter

No internet connection on 5Ghz, (works for only ~ 24/48 hours after disconnect and reconnect) but recently authetication issue - despite passwords not being changed

Some months ago

Where do I find this?

4. What devices do you have on their network and how are you connected, eg. wired or wireless? *Please provide as much details as possible, with specific model names/numbers where possible*
The only ones I use for 5GhZ are Samsung A5 phone and Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 - everything else on 2.4 GHz (mostly cos Samsung TV and security products don't support 5gHz)

5. How is your network configured i.e. any Powerline adapters, additional switches, attached storage or or wi-fi access points in use? *Again, please provide as much detail as possible*
None of that - Bog standard router set up - desktop via ethernet everything else via password wifi

6. What devices does the problem affect and what software/firmware versions are they running (if known). This will help us try and replicate the issue in a lab environment. *Once more, please provide as much detail as possible*
Samsung mobile kit as above - all on latest versions

Separated.  I have an issue with phone interference so constantly tweaking channels  5gHz only one affected.

Yes

Please know that we are working behind the scenes to resolve this, though I'm afraid we don't yet have an ETA, in the meantime a temporary workaround would be disabling the 5Ghz completely (please note that when done, a red light will illuminate on the router). 
So does this mean that the red light will permanently be on???

As your guys can't replicate this - perhaps you might want to check which Exchange we are connected to.  Speed incompatibility perhaps?  (Uxbridge in my case)

I really only know about this cos my 'radios' are split.  Your default setting on delivery is combined - so you would expect non techie people (the majority) to be totally unaware of this.

Moderators Note: This post has been released from the spam filter.

Norrette
Grafter

Where's my post gone?  Just spent ages filling in the questionnaire.  Edited it and now it's disappeared???

Norrette
Grafter

I am posting the questionnaire - so I don't have to keep wading back to find it

4. What devices do you have on their network and how are you connected, eg. wired or wireless? *Please provide as much details as possible, with specific model names/numbers where possible*

5. How is your network configured i.e. any Powerline adapters, additional switches, attached storage or or wi-fi access points in use? *Again, please provide as much detail as possible*

6. What devices does the problem affect and what software/firmware versions are they running (if known). This will help us try and replicate the issue in a lab environment. *Once more, please provide as much detail as possible*

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @Norrette - don't worry, I'd already opened it before it disappeared.

Your answers:

No internet connection on 5Ghz, (works for only ~ 24/48 hours after disconnect and reconnect) but recently authetication issue - despite passwords not being changed

Some months ago

Where do I find this?

The only ones I use for 5GhZ are Samsung A5 phone and Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 - everything else on 2.4 GHz (mostly cos Samsung TV and security products don't support 5gHz)

None of that - Bog standard router set up - desktop via ethernet everything else via password wifi

Samsung mobile kit as above - all on latest versions

Separated.  I have an issue with phone interference so constantly tweaking channels  5gHz only one affected.

Yes

Please know that we are working behind the scenes to resolve this, though I'm afraid we don't yet have an ETA, in the meantime a temporary workaround would be disabling the 5Ghz completely (please note that when done, a red light will illuminate on the router). 
So does this mean that the red light will permanently be onHuh

As your guys can't replicate this - perhaps you might want to check which Exchange we are connected to.  Speed incompatibility perhaps?  (Uxbridge in my case)

I really only know about this cos my 'radios' are split.  Your default setting on delivery is combined - so you would expect non techie people (the majority) to be totally unaware of this.

JerryH1
Dabbler

As I wrote earlier in the thread I have solved the problem by swapping out the PN Hub One for a BT Business Smart Hub 6 but in the hope it may help others I have had a go at answering your questions;

Quite often and randomly I lose my 5Ghz connection.

As with some others on here it definitely only started to happen about a month ago, was obvious when our mobile phones started to disconnect.  Hub One was installed in Feb 2017 and has worked without a problem until recently.

Sorry, I don't know and I am not going to reconnect it to find out.

4. What devices do you have on their network and how are they connected, e.g. wired or wireless.

Wired: Asustor AS-202T NAS, Netgear ReadyNAS Duo, HP8300 Elite USDT, LightWaveRF Link, Denon AVR-X2000, Sony BDP S-390, Humax FreeSat HDR-1100S

2.4GHz: Asus MemoPad 7, Chromecast-Audio, HP DeskJet 3070A, IP Security Camera, Honeywell Lyric T6, Texecom Security System, HP630 Laptop

5.0GHz: 2 x Samsung Galaxy A3 2017 smart phones, 2 x Chromecast, iPad Mini, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 

5. How is your network configured i.e. any Powerline adapters, additional switches, attached storage or or wi-fi access points in use?

Hub connected to master socket via Adsl Nation XTE-2005 faceplate, LAN port 1 on hub connected to BT Broadband Extender 500 powerline adapter.  BT Mini Home Hotspot LAN ports connect to 2 x TP-Link TL-SG1005D 5-port unmanaged hubs. i.e. Yes, all of the above.

6. What devices does the problem affect and what software/firmware versions are they running (if known). This will help us try and replicate the issue in a lab environment.

I only noticed it on the smart phones as they are in use very frequently, not sure whether other 5GHz connections were affected.

Merged.

8. Has the customer tried factory resetting? (If you've not, please try this)

No

N/A as Hub One no longer in use.

No

Russkinguk
Grafter

So a nice flurry of questionnaires have just come in today. Putting them all together I'm not seeing any patterns. Quite a disparate set of devices being hooked up to 5g and in some cases, with hardly any devices connected at all. This should therefore have been a fairly easy problem to reproduce as the issue appears to be largely device and load agnostic.

Benefit of the doubt then, perhaps it is only reproducible on certain routers. Plusnet, if you want to send me a router and a return label I'll confirm for you whether that router exhibits the problem and then send it back. At least then you'll know that you have one of the affected routers.