cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One losing internet connection on 5Ghz WiFi only

gibbs2011
Dabbler

Re: Hub One losing internet connection on 5Ghz WiFi only

Yet another standard response that offers sweet f.a new.  

I think I'd rather suffer a few non-affecting issues than one MAJOR issue that knackers the service. All your doing is giving us options to cover you own [-Censored-]. Get it fixed would suit you better and provide proper updates. 

And quit hiding under this wireless interference con. Your fooling no one. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

@Russkinguk If there’s no possibility for coincidence it might be possible the issue comes about when certain equipment are connected to the network which might explain why you’ve seen the issue when using 3 Hub One’s, however I’m not particularly close to the investigation to say for certain if that’s the issue or what we think it is.

If you’d be willing to help us out, I’d just spend a few moments of your time to fill out the questionnaire and we’ll add this to the investigation. Apologies in advance for the hassle.

[edit]

@gibbs2011 For the record my posts are not stock responses and I’m willingly posting on my day off as I’m just trying to help out. I’ve read through your posts and I’d like to ask, the options we’ve given you, have you carried them out?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
gibbs2011
Dabbler

Screw this roundabout, am getting of. 

No I have not and will not fill out a questionnaire. You have already acknowledged the issue and I have offered directly to provide logging from a real world instance, am yet to get any info as to what you need. Since your not close to the investigation, would it not be prudent to get a staff member who is, in here?  

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Insult(s) removed as per Forum rules.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

@gibbs2011 The questionnaire comes from our products team and is designed to help us, I do apologise for the inconvenience this causes.

I believe one of the products team is fairly active around these parts in his own time, and has reached out asking you to PM them. If you’ve done this then I apologise and as per my previous response, let me know and I’ll be happy to try to chase things up next week. Thank you. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
stevewx
Grafter

Can you give a value to the small number of people affected?  Like a real number, or a percentage of customers?

Of course you cannot.  You don't know.  If you do, say it.  But you do not know.

The 'small' number has never changed, but is obviously increasing as the months pass.

Have YOU with your wise username ever contacted the helpline who knew nothing?  Crazier still, tried to find one of the two threads concerning this problem?  It really does take time and effort  What keywords would you search for?  It is not easy and takes days to hours.  And when you find one of the two threads, it's great.  Like you are not alone anymore.There are others, and not just a few.

As for trying to fix it in a lab environment, you have to be taking the [-Censored-] P.

This has been going on since 2018.  And you cannot fix it?  Just roll back to the version I am using as I do not have the problem.

The thing I dread is somebody like you is going to update it at 3am.  DO NOT.

I'd love to see your 'lab'!  Probably brushweed and dead horse skeletons.

How can somebody not see what they have broken?  Sod the questionnaire, but you fixed my router after rolling back.  And why did you even update my router after two years, skipping new versions of software until you broke it?  Just one update in two years to mess up.

Get your head out of you [-Censored-].  This has been going on for ages. Lab!  [Removed], you know or should know what you altered.   If you do not, then there's the door.  Simple thing is to roll back.  But you, like me, will have no idea what changed between versions.  Any sane company would tell the customer about the improvements, but not you or Plusnet.  Why?

Best thing Plusnet can do is delete the thread.  Just to protect you and give you less problems.  As for your lab!  Come on, even you must think you deserve a slap after a year.

Gandalf is happy.  Customers with the problem are not happy.   Downgraded software and I am happy, but not happy with you or Plusnet.

Steve

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Avoidance of swear filter edited as per Forum rules.
Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Insult(s) removed as per Forum rules.
stevewx
Grafter

Agree

I would not expect it half a mile away or through walls thick enough to be a castle.

BUT 5GHz does not work due to software.
Terms and conditions, my backside.

Steve

stevewx
Grafter

and as such that makes things a little more difficult to diagnose

A year?

however I agree with you that it’s our responsibility

ooh, Plusnet have admitted it.

It’s also worth noting that for some people they might not be affected

Let's just say my mum why doesn't even have a 5GHz device.  She would never know.  Many more do not know.  Or will ever read this thread.

We’ve provided a workaround for now

Now you turn into a swear word.  A bit like a gearbox.  In my case it does gear 2/4/6/8 and skips odd numbers.  I am going to call you an idiot.  So 8-speed gearbox and I should be pleased it works on even gears only.  I can only assume a moderator above you will removed idiot.  So turn off 5GHz is a workaround after a year!

I've taken a screenshot, so will post that.

reached out

That's not a Yorkshire term.

Rolling back the firmware isn’t a solution to the problem

IT IS.  You did it for me April!

because the previous versions are not without their own issues so you’d likely be trading one problem for another.

And you have NEVER ONCE told anybody of the changes.

What did change? Again, you have no idea, or dare not publish the changes.  We both know that.

Thanks for not assisting - thanks for downgrading me though.

Steve

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Quotes fixed.
stevewx
Grafter

"@Russkinguk If there’s no possibility for coincidence it might be possible the issue comes about when certain equipment are connected to the network which might explain why you’ve seen the issue when using 3 Hub One’s, however I’m not particularly close to the investigation to say for certain if that’s the issue or what we think it is."

Not particularly close and not certain.

Put a sock in it.

Oh, and think...

I sum that up as your have not a clue about this problem.  Just trying to close it down on a Sunday afternoon.

Please reply like you are wise and not knowledgeable.  Not an insult, just how you come across.  See above.

Steve

Mrg1981
Grafter

so my reply to this has gone missing! Oh well, we'll just let the one person rant on then.

To those affected, have you lost ALL wifi? no, so you haven't lost connection. With the sheer number of devices that all expect to connect to wifi and a vast number of consumer tech that has been value engineered so sort of  complies to the standards but isn't 100%. I mean even in my line of work I have had to deal with components from Nuclear submarines that had shoddy Chinese motherboards that didn't comply to the basic comms standards of PS2. That standard is decades old !!

So there will always be a certain situation that causes issue, and we'll probably find in the end it's a particular chipset that's ended up in, well lets say smart watches or something that just tickles the wrong buttons. Do you really expect the testing crew to have one of every single wifi device ever created?

The question I want to know is why is everyone going for the BT hub6? Anyone suggest a 3rd party alternative?

Russkinguk
Grafter

Hi @Gandalf ,

I’ll go one better to filling out the form and actually run an experiment. I’ll take one of my three Plus One routers on .263 and set up a brand new wireless network. I’ll add one 5g device, my phone, and see what happens after a few days (I generally have to reboot daily so I’d know pretty quickly when it goes wrong). If all good, I’ll slowly add more and more devices to that test network to see what the tipping point is. I do have a lot of google home and chromecast devices which I know are very chatty so perhaps it’s those but it only takes one person to say “I have this issue and I don’t have any google devices” to blow a hole in that theory. Smiley 

Mrg1981
Grafter

@Russkinguk @Gandalf I also have Google home (mini, 2 of them) and a series 1 chromecast which had issues initially and only works on 2.4

Hamba
Grafter

I have this 5ghz problem but I wouldn't let my complaint turn to abuse.   I do wish that those having problems would be offered the downgrade but I don't think it helps anyone to keep questioning someone's ability to do their job.

Tech, like life, is not simple:  things go wrong.

fairb
Grafter

I know I’m wasting my time posting here so I promise this is my last post. Just need to put Mgr1981 right on something. The reason I want 5 GHz wifi is because I have a NAS on my LAN which I quite often stream data to/from my Windows desktop and TV. The desktop and TV use wifi and without 5 GHz wifi this connection is much slower and causes buffering. Don’t assume that that all connections are limited by WAN speeds. Some connections just involve the LAN. Whether it’s a nuclear submarine or a router, equipment should meet it’s spec.

I don’t buy that this problem cannot easily be repeated and that it impacts a small few. I did invite plusnet to investigate my failed router but I don’t believe my invitation was taken up. If the router is failing because of certain popular devices then that is a problem with the router. All devices should connect using standard network protocols and if they don’t then the router shouldn’t talk to them. It certainly shouldn’t let them corrupt it. A rogue device shouldn’t stop the router talking to properly behaved devices.

I maybe wrong but I’m thinking that plusnet have lost the capability to fix their router firmware? Maybe it’s poorly documented and the one person who new how to change it got a better offer?

Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note(s):

Insulting post aimed at a moderator removed.

Please refrain from throwing insults at staff, moderators or other members as it does not help the situation and may lead to action being taken against the perpetrators.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Russkinguk
Grafter

I have to add that I completely agree with @fairb and others that the expectation for a working 5g connection isn’t unreasonable. You only have to go to the Plusnet website itself to find this quote of what’s included when you sign up for any of their fiber broadband packages...

Plusnet Hub One

Our fastest ever router - with dual band Wi-Fi for high speed connection router.”

If the advice after receiving the router is to then disable one of those bands because it doesn’t work then I’m afraid that the package was miss sold. There’s no two ways about it.

I’m willing to assist Plusnet and the community as a whole to get to the bottom of this but a “good will gesture” wouldn’t go amiss seeing as I can only currently receive 15Mbps wirelessly out of the 61Mbps i can normally receive and am paying for via 5g.