Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One losing internet connection on 5Ghz WiFi only

cruickc2
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Re: 5 GHz connection dropping out

I did get the Smart hub 2 off eBay for £60 but the Smart Hub 6 is basically the same Router and is only around £20 in eBay
JerryH1
Dabbler

I went for a BT Business Smart Hub 6 (£26 new on Ebay) and it has fixed it for me and also gives much better WiFi coverage.

Iandfisher
Rising Star

We shouldn't have to buy new routers just to solve a plusnet problem. Their service level has fallen well below what we should expect.
Iandfisher
Rising Star

I guess that I give up with the Plusnet hub and go for the BT hub - at a cost I might add plusnet. I have a mind to complain to ofcom about their TV adverts
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @Russkinguk, I am really sorry that you are experiencing this issue. If you can please provide an answer to the following questions we can pass this to our products team to help with their investigations:

1. Exactly how does the problem masquerade itself, what are the symptoms?

2. When did the problem start?

3. What firmware version are you running and when was it last updated?

4. What devices do you have on their network and how are you connected, eg. wired or wireless? *Please provide as much details as possible, with specific model names/numbers where possible*

5. How is your network configured i.e. any Powerline adapters, additional switches, attached storage or or wi-fi access points in use? *Again, please provide as much detail as possible*

6. What devices does the problem affect and what software/firmware versions are they running (if known). This will help us try and replicate the issue in a lab environment. *Once more, please provide as much detail as possible*

7. Are the 2.4GHz/5GHz radios separated or merged (they're merged by default). If separated, which radio is affected (or is it both)?

8. Have you tried factory resetting? (if not, please try this)

Please know that we are working behind the scenes to resolve this, though I'm afraid we don't yet have an ETA, in the meantime a temporary workaround would be disabling the 5Ghz completely (please note that when done, a red light will illuminate on the router).

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
JerryH1
Dabbler

I think you are missing the point, for many (most?) it is a lower cost option to simply replace your defective hub with one that works than to reply your points 1 to 8 below.

gibbs2011
Dabbler

Jesus it's getting better and better  

Stu-Pydd

Has been happening to me for over a month now. Called support and solution was hard reset. I'm now at the point of doing a hard reset twice a week, minimum, to get 5ghz working again.
Not really good enough and needs a proper resolution; tested software solution or replacement hardware.
I don't pay for a service to be a product tester! I expect to receive the features and benefits paid for, not to have to buy new hardware. Why wouldn't I change supplier to someone who can provide the advertised service.
Russkinguk
Grafter

Hi @LaurenB,

Yes, I've factory reset the Plusnet One Hub (I have a couple of them now from 10 years of custom) but no change of behaviour on any of them. 2.4g & 5g were always un-merged for me and as of this morning I have now disabled 5g entirely as it appears to disconnect daily.

Going from 5g to 2.4g sees my wifi speed plummet from 60Mbps to between 5 & 15Mpbs. Sure, I know I can channel hop to get another channel with less contention but with so many other properties with Wifi around, most of them likely on auto, I will be doing this dance every couple of days which means even the workaround I'm having to employ for a lack of 5g comes with its own baggage.

I could fill in your questionnaire but to be honest, looking at the numerous responses you have already received there is no additional information I can provide which you haven't had already that provides that "missing link" you're looking for and only really serves to put me into a holding pattern along with everybody else. Alternatively, perhaps you could fill in my questionnaire? It only has two questions so shouldn't take long...

1. Will you credit my account with £60 so that I can buy one of the mentioned BT Hubs that apparently works?

2. Let me exit my contract?

Kind Regards,

Russ

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @Russkinguk 

I'm sorry to hear you feel this way. 

Without wishing to sound too blunt, the answer to both of your questions is no. 

They both focus WiFi as the main reason for your issue and disappointment - WiFi is merely an optional alternate gateway to access the internet, a wired LAN connection is always the primary connection method, and is the only one which can be guaranteed on both speed and stability.  Due to this, we would not be able to allow you to exit your contract (penalty free). As customers are not bound by their contracts to use our routers, we would not provide any money towards the purchase of a new router should they choose to do this. 

I'm sorry that this is not the reply you were looking for, however, i would not provide it if it were not the honest truth. 

Kind Regards, 

MoR

Iandfisher
Rising Star

So just for the avoidance of doubt, plusnet expect every device to be hardwired to the router as WiFi is an optional benefit for which plusnet takes no responsibility. Mobile phones cannot be hardwired, alexa/Google assistants cannot be hardwired, smart TVs are in the main not able to hardwired etc etc. How many less tech savvy people are there out there will this problem but aren't aware of it. I also assume that if we use a third party hub then you won't give tech support for it. So in summary, your solution is hardwire everything, or but a new hub and expect no tech support, or quit plusnet as soon as your contract expires. I know my choice and I hope others feel the same
stevewx
Grafter

@gibbs2011  I managed to get downgraded from v...263 to 4.7.5.1.83.8.237.2.2 on the 17th April and have not had the 5G problem since.

No idea what I'm missing in the supposed upgrade, but I'm now happy.  Broadband is fast and stable, 5G just reconnects like any reasonable person might expect.

But Plusnet not doing anything positive, that's a disgrace.

I'm surprised they have not introduced a new feature on their SIM cards for mobile phones where they will only guarantee a service if the phone is on charge!  So you must be plugged into a mains socket as we cannot support you if you leave a building and want to make a call.  I mean, you want to take your phone out of the house?  Why should we support that?  Who do you think you are?  This is Plusnet and we do it our Yorkshire way, and you can suck it up until your contract expires.

Try to get downgraded overnight.  Worked for me.

Steve

Mrg1981
Grafter

Re: Hub One losing internet connection on 5Ghz WiFi only

Hi, similar issue. 5GHz wifi drops out then nothing reconnects. Then after setting the channel manually I had a stable WiFi network but no internet connection. 

Strangely mine didn't start playing up unit months after the latest update.

I was offered a replacement hub but since seeing the sheer number of people with this issue I didn't feel this would be an actual fix, especially since I would be paying postage (which they waived after I said I had seen a forum post of this problem). And the original support member claimed they had "NOTHING ABOUT THIS ISSUE ON THEIR INTRANET". 

It's been going on over 6 months now so how come support don't know? 

Even more galling was the fact that for some reason my connection to that support member got cut and another came on the chat saying "Yeah, I've had a similar issue, try manually setting the WiFi channel".

A fix that has worked to make the network stable, but now I have the "NO INTERNET" issue.

It's a problem Plusnet have created with an update so why haven't you just rolled back the firmware WHOLESALE? What is in the new firmware that you so desperately want to keep at the expense of so many customers?

But I suppose this issue is secondary to your IT team compared to the fact you've not collected payments from a large number of customers for so long that you can't now recoup the loss!

Hamba
Grafter

Re: Hub One losing internet connection on 5Ghz WiFi only

I upgraded from fibre to fibre plus at the end of July and received a new router - Hub One.  I initially had some speed issues and these have been dealt with efficiently.   Now this 5ghz thing is beginning to be a real pain and forcing me to reboot in order to reconnect.  2.4 and 5 are split and I've tried setting channels manually which works but soon drops out again.

if downgrading firmware corrects the issue can I please have mine downgraded.

fairb
Grafter

Hi MasterOfReality,

I think your reply is at odds with your handle. In 2019 it’s unrealistic to expect your customers to use ‘wire’ to connect every device. As someone has said, many popular devices don’t give you that option. I also feel that it is disingenuous to hide behind your wifi clause when that was clearly intended to cover wireless reception issues and not what is evidently the problem here, i.e. a faulty plusnet router. I believe that in the UK there is a law that says all goods sold must be fit-for-purpose and I think that may overrule the plusnet contract. Your reply does nothing to reduce customer dissatisfaction.