cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One losing internet connection on 5Ghz WiFi only

madfog

Re: Hub One losing internet connection on 5Ghz WiFi only

Hi all, I’ve also had problems with my 5g connection, been playing up for a few months now. I usually just turn the router on and off to get going again but the problem seems to be getting worse/more annoying now. I phoned Plusnet support a week ago they changed the network names to LR and SR and changed channels. but has not made any difference. Only just started reading various forums about these problems and didn’t realise what huge issues Plusnet was having with these routers. Unfortunately I’m not very technical when it comes to routers so eagerly waiting a fix.

Mewcenary
Grafter

I've given up on this now, as it seems plus.net are not willing or are unable to fix the issue.

My plus.net router's 5 Ghz network would die (The 'Invalid password' symptoms) every couple of days at least, requiring a router reboot.

And let's not forget that we shouldn't need to split the frequencies in the first place just to accommodate the router's inability to handle iOS devices.

I've installed a Linksys Deco M5 system in the house and it is working perfectly.  All devices connecting on the wireless and not dropping off / requiring a reset, and without needing to split any channels.  It just works.

Plus.net's handling of this has made my decision what to do at contract renewal time pretty easy!

Iandfisher
Rising Star

It's disgraceful. My phone keeps dropping from the wireless and starts using mobile data. I don't always realise so I keep running out of data. As for the Plusnet great service as boasted about on TV - an absolute joke.
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Thanks for your posts @Mewcenary, @NigeBoy, @madfog, @fairb and @muskrat.

I'm sincerely sorry to see that you'd not received responses to your latest posts.

I'm afraid that we don't have any sort of update on this issue being resolved at the moment but I can assure you that our products team are looking into the issue with a view to getting it resolved.

Iandfisher
Rising Star

This has been an issue for months! Plusnet are using the old BT home hub which is pretty much outdated and clearly not fit for purpose. Perhaps it's time to expose Plusnet using the power of social media
NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@Iandfisher 

I don't know if you have seen this elsewhere on here

https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Feedback/Plusnet-beats-Talk-Talk-for-complaints/td-p/1657945

Just shows what a joke those adverts are.

Clearly plenty of people have seen through how bad Plusnet's customer service really is.

Plusnet is great when it works and you don't need any customer service but when they break something and won't admit it they really do look poor. The point that Plusnet keep missing is that the outdated hub one worked fine for us until they updated the firmware. Five months down the line & they still haven't worked it out.

My formal complaint is currently being investigated by Ombudsman Services and this thread is part of my evidence.Thanks to everyone who continues to post and raise the issue.

Iandfisher
Rising Star

I've posted the link on twitter. We need the power of social media. The fastest way to solve the problem is to issue upgraded hubs to those affected. And I don't mean upgraded firmware - I mean a more superior hub
stevewx
Grafter

@NigeBoy 

Hey, you're still here!  I'm still here.  Others come and go, mostly come.

Back when Plusnet broke my 5GHz wifi when they decided to upgrade my firmware after 2 years overnight, they seemed to have offered to downgrade both of us as a test.  I agreed as did you.

Well, since they downgraded me, it's been fine.  But they've got to be seriously understaffed or completely and unfathomably incompetent to not recognise the simply fact that I no longer have a problem.

Don't fix, let's say they is a problem with your equipment, let's apologise, let's pretend we are working on it, let's do nothing and it WILL go away.

Why did they upgrade me after 2 years?  No idea.
Why did they downgrade just me?  No idea.
Why is this pathetic nonsense still going on?  No idea.

I've got a spreadsheet going back to 10th February 2017.  Also more letters after my name than in my name and address.

10th Feb 17  v 4.7.5.1.83.8.217.1.1 [Worked]
27th Mar 19  v4.7.5.1.83.8.263 [It's F-ed up]
17th Apr 19  v4.7.5.1.83.8.237.2.2  [Works well]

My complaint is why did they not upgrade me for over two years when others had been?  Why did they particularly decide to upgrade me in March 2019?  What was SO important in March 2019 for me?  What did Plusnet supposedly FIX when they F-d up 5GHz wifi?  And since downgrading me, and it works, WHAT ARE THE perhaps security issues am I am exposed to they presumably say they had fixed?  But they keep this [-Censored-] to themselves, so we will never know.  To be honest, I doubt support know any more than us.  So that's not support either.

So when it works, it works well.  I agree.

Congratulations to you for taking it to the next level and complaining to OFCOM.  If you need more information, I'm happy to supply details.

Cheers,

Steve

p.s.  I bet if I phoned up about this problem, I would be lied to.  Like the people on the helpdesk have not been informed, or perhaps told to not admit there is a problem and lie, or bend the truth, or get back to me after speaking to a manager and not return the call.  Hard to phone up when my downgrade works 🙂

NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

After a 3 month dragged out complaint process with Plusnet and Ombudsman Services (a company paid for by Plusnet, amongst others, to defend them) the decision on my case begins...

Issue analysis:

Your complaint about Plusnet relates to router firmware issues and the 5Ghz Wi-Fi connection.

You say that following a firmware update on Plusnet’s routers in February 2019, you started losing wireless connection with 5Ghz. 

I can see that you complained to Plusnet on 14 May 2019 and it has made efforts to assist you to try to improve your wireless connection.

5GHz provides faster data rates at a shorter distance whereas 2.4GHz offers coverage for farther distances, but at slower speeds. 

While I appreciate your frustration, it is important for me to explain that Plusnet, like all service providers do not guarantee wireless speeds and connections. This is because a wireless connection can be affected by other factors outside of its control. In short, the speeds and connections offered by service providers are by a wired connection. Therefore, I am unable to criticise Plusnet if you are not receiving the same speeds via WiFi or experiencing wireless connection drops. 

Factors that can affect WiFi:

Physical obstructions
Building material (concrete, wire mesh, thick walls)
Network range and distance between devices
Wireless network interference (electrical equipment, microwaves, baby monitors)
Signal sharing (number of users and devices)
Environment

It is clear from the notes that Plusnet accepts there is an issue with the firmware and it is continuing to investigate, as I would expect to see. I am also mindful that the issue is intermittent, and it is often difficult to diagnose intermittent issues, as the problem is not always present at the time of testing. 

As a connection and speeds are only guaranteed via a wired connection, I cannot dictate that Plusnet take specific actions in fixing the wireless connection issue. Plusnet advises that it is committed in investigating the issue and I therefore recommend that you co-operate and report issues.

I note that Plusnet has advised that if you should maybe turn off the 5 Ghz or you have the option of purchasing a new router of your choice if you are dissatisfied with Plusnets. 

It is nice to see they think I need to know about WiFi and how it works rather than dealing with the complaint. It almost takes me back to where this thread started in April. It certainly takes me back to where my formal complaint started in May.

I have declined their offer and disputed their ruling and asked to make a formal complaint about how Ombudsman Services have dealt with it. You can't go direct to Ofcom but I won't give up until this gets sorted or I get to them. My contract expires in October (unless I renew with a decent offer & cash to buy a better router!) but it won't stop me continuing this complaint until it is resolved. I will still have paid for 5 months of hopeless services regardless of whether I renew or not.

Does anybody reading this really think the above response reflects the situation? Have Plusnet ever accepted that there is an issue with the firmware? Have they really tried to assist us in resolving it other than asking us to fill in 'that questionnaire'? I'm not aware that any of us can write our own firmware or roll back to a previous one without them doing it. Surely if they have admitted there is a problem with the firmware then they should have just rolled it back.

This is an absolute joke now.

I will keep you posted.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Post released from Spam Filter.

stevewx
Grafter

If that was from Ofcom, they need to go back to school for grammar.

[Does anybody reading this really think the above response reflects the situation? Have Plusnet ever accepted that there is an issue with the firmware? Have they really tried to assist us in resolving it other than asking us to fill in 'that questionnaire'? I'm not aware that any of us can write our own firmware or roll back to a previous one without them doing it. Surely if they have admitted there is a problem with the firmware then they should have just rolled it back.]

@NigeBoy,

My main complaint would be it took me hours, to many days to find the original thread. Plusnet had no idea when contacted, so I then searched for, 'does this problem I am experiencing with software ending in 263 exist'? The variations I had to use to find a sensible thread going back to 2018. It was not easy.

Not many people would have found the pair of threads. Most would have given up as I was close to. Just chance to be honest. What do you type in to find out/solve this problem? It's sort of endless. It's also sort of hard, being hard to the reps on the phone if they really don't know. Not their fault if they are the first to hear, but you might have thought they may have heard the same complaint - then they still had no idea.Not even a manager had heard!

###Inevitably, it's the management's fault. More apparent as the month's have rolled on.###

I was offered to downgrade and took it up. That solved the problem. Slightly random and no follow up!  That's admitting liability and/or being hopeless.

I can send you a spreadsheet of more than two years of every time the router has reconnected. Why? I had a declining experience before with a different provider, so simply kept tabs, even when it was working. Also know the software versions. Why did I check when it was working? It's all evidence for when it stops working! Facts a judge would believe.  Ofcom maybe would tell me about bricks.

Do I live in a castle and need to know how electromagnetic radiation is absorbed by walls?
I don't, but I do know how it works.

Plusnet have NEVER accepted there is a problem.
I've personally given up they know how to fix the problem, as they don't ever seems to have admirtted it exists.
Why have I given up? The downgraded firmware seems to work for me (isn't that a MASSIVE CLUE), and I'm tied into a contract until 2020, I get email updates whenever anybody comments on one of the two threads. So when it works, as even you must admit, it does work well.  And when it stops, well it stops.  The 5GHz device thinks it's connected, but diddly happens.

If I were PLUSNET I would ask about your devices, how thick are you walls, 5GHz or 2.4GHz, wired or wireless, split the wifi channels, powerline adaptors, who made them you numpty,TV make and model, phone, laptop, gadgets, just anything to get you off of my f case and put the blame on the customer. It's constant white noise. There's nothing to add positive to how idiots, I mean customers, are treated.

So I would put it to these incompetent people.
Don't tell me how it works, as it is BROKEN.  IT's JUST BROKEN.
It's like 1 v 0
Up v down
Good v bad
Black v white
On v off
It's too simple to ignore. 5GHz wifi is screwed. I doubt you even know (technical ability to understand), or are allowed to know (BT own you - so keep quiet.)

It's not the end of the world either, I could live with it. What really gets me is Plusnet being Yorkshire ostriches.
Do they know?
Do they want to believe it?
Are they being told that if they admit it, there's the door?
Bury your head in the sand then cheerful chappy.

How can a company be so stupid after all of these months, getting on for a year? Head in the sand doesn't begin to do justice to them acting oblivious.

No idea why they downgraded me of all people, but it worked!

No idea why they decided I needed upgrading after two years, as others were upgraded during this time. I missed over 2 years of so-called upgrades. Why? Why?

And perhaps what bothers me most is why did they wait for 2 years to upgrade my router? WHY?
And then you broke it, you people from up north.
That's mostly what get's to me.  BTW, I love York and tested Leeds re-signalling which is controlled from York IECC.

EVEN WORSE, what about all of the customers that have never found, say, this thread and are having problems and get rejected on the phone?
They will be still being lied to. Like your walls are too thick! We know what we are doing and you are an idiot.
No, it's like 5GHz wi-fi simply stops up routinely, we know about it, but if we admit it, we are getting a P45 from a jovial boss with a Yorkshire accent. He'll laugh us out of the building and make an advert out of us.

CONCLUSION
I couldn't give a monkey's as since I was downgraded, it works. [CLUE]
As for Plusnet, it currently works. I do not trust them. Do not upgrade me. Just don't.
And being a questioning sort of person, I'd like to know what protection/functionality I am missing out from by being on an older firmware version. But it would probably be easier to commit suicide than get an truthful answer from you. It just would be. I think we all know that by now.

Cheers @NigeBoy,

Steve
I really do have more letters after my name than in my name and address. Not messing around here.
It's why I think Plusnet are being a bit devious, to the point a judge would rule in your favour.

And I dare you to get a HH6 from an auction site and prove it goes away.  Whilst I'm tempted, my problem did go away when I was downgraded.  Go on, I dare you 🙂 

JerryH1
Dabbler

Just wanted to register "me too".  Seems to have just started doing it in the last few days.  Is switching to a BT HH6 a fix?

fairb
Grafter

Been using a BT Business Smart Hub 6 for some months without any issues. For me it was very easy to set up and it’s been totally reliable, 5 GHz included. I think it’s concerning that Plusnet don’t seem to be able to fix their router firmware which is demonstrably faulty. The management seem more interested in pub karaoke.

JerryH1
Dabbler

Thanks, just ordered one for £26 new on Ebay.

fairb
Grafter

That’s where I got mine for £28. I figured what’s to lose for that money.

JerryH1
Dabbler

Totally agree.