Hub One losing internet connection on 5Ghz WiFi only

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: Hub One losing internet connection on 5Ghz WiFi only

Hi @NigeBoy

Thanks for the update.

My apologies that my colleague [CSA Removed] did not pick up on this thread - I have now posted it again into your complaint ticket to ensure consistency across both platforms. That being said, having reviewed your ticket, I would ask that you refrain from personal insults when responding to my colleagues in any format. We have always endeavoured to be courteous and professional in our responses to your posts and our employees deserve the same respect and courtesy. Questioning  [CSA Removed] literacy and level of education was unnecessary and unwarranted as she was only attempting to help.

My understanding is that you've now had contact from our Products team and that they're providing you with further information regarding your issue.

Please let me know if this is not the case.

Best wishes

Dave

Moderators Note: CSA name removed.

NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@RandallFlagg 

Thank you for your response.

In defence of what I said on my ticket, bearing in mind that it is a formal complaint, I would have expected the CSA to have read what was there previously and to check wording and spelling before posting.

I don't think that reply or the previous one from a different CSA were either courteous or professional. Neither reply actually answered my question either. 

You aren't allowed to name CSAs on here apparently. It wasn't me who leaked that name out.

I have discovered that I do indeed have a PM from Bob Pullen.

He has asked me to keep quiet about most of the contents but I would like to tell anyone reading this that he says he has "not yet had chance to catch up on the various threads on the forum about this issue". I will not comment on that.

I will contact Bob and report what progress I can here in the hope that it will help others.

I have been suffering from this wifi issue for 10 weeks and chasing a resolution on here for 6 weeks now. I don't think it was unreasonable for me to criticise that response I received yesterday. Effectively telling me you were going to do nothing about it was not doing me proud.

Regards,

Nigel.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Nige.

Following on from my response and your reply to that over Here and my ticket response, I've firstly arranged for feedback to be passed on to the appropriate advisers with regards to how they've handled your query.

Please do let us know how it goes once Bob has got back to you via PM.

I've also moved your support ticket into my workflow, so any replies you make over there will come back to me.

Apologies again for the inconvenience and frustration this has caused.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro

@Gandalf 

Thanks again.

It really should not have taken six weeks for someone to try to own this problem and keep an eye on it.

I hope everyone else affected can also get treated with a bit more respect from Plusnet now.

We all deserve at least that and probably a refund to be perfectly honest!

Regards,

Nige.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

No problem and sorry again for the frustration this has caused.

Unfortunately we can't provide a refund or compensate you for this issue, however once this has been resolved if you can give me a nudge on the ticket or send me a PM I'll be happy to offer you a goodwill gesture for the inconvenience.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@NigeBoy wrote:

He has asked me to keep quiet about most of the contents but I would like to tell anyone reading this that he says he has "not yet had chance to catch up on the various threads on the forum about this issue". I will not comment on that.

In the interest of transparency, I'd just like to comment that there's nothing sinister here. We are looking into the reported problems, and I would politely ask that anybody experiencing difficulties tries disabling the 5GHz radio as an interim measure whilst we get to the bottom of things. Not ideal I know, but should help restore some stability (can provide instruction should anybody need it).

All being well, we should get to a point where we've a new firmware build we can try upgrading folk to. Downgrading is not quite as straight forward and isn't without issues. I'd much rather time is invested into properly fixing the problem, rather than dealing with ad-hoc downgrades. Don't get me wrong, I don't like seeing these complaints, but there's a degree of pragmatism that needs to be applied.

Everybody with a managed Hub One is on this latest build now, and I think it's safe to say it's only a small proportion of the hundreds of thousands that are affected (we'll know more of course, and be able to properly quantify things, once we've isolated the cause).

On a closing note, it's probably also worth me mentioning that most of my time spent here is outside of my day to day work responsibilities.

In the meantime, appreciate everybody's patience Smiley

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

GaryWato
Hooked

Having the exact same problem, all my 5ghz has been lost, been a month now, nothing can connect to it.
I'm probably just going to wait for a new firmware update as I've been happy with Plusnet for many years. However I'm not going to jump through rings to fix it. If it stays off I'll just move suppliers.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @GaryWato, thanks for your message.

We're sincerely sorry to hear of your 5Ghz woes.

We fully appreciate you not wanting to mess around with a load of different troubleshooting.

Can you confirm the error you're receiving when trying to get onto the 5Ghz channel? Does it just not show up or is there an error in connecting?

ttstoo
Dabbler

I know of around 6 other Plusnet customers whom have the same issues as mentioned

Make that seven, DS.  I've been noticing this problem for some time, but been too lazy / knackered / daunted to address it, thinking "well the 2.4GHz is working ok"!  This evening I phoned support, who (after the statutory rubbish about an unusually high call volume, and subsequent wait) suggested I re-sync the two channels, then unsync them again.  This worked (i.e. my laptop successfully connected at 5GHz) for just long enough for them to say "byee" and hang up, but then the connection reported "no internet" and flipped back to 2.4GHz.  Rather than endure the phone routine again I came looking and discovered I'm far from alone (so why don't the phone support bods know this, and tell us it's a known issue and will be fixed in the next release in x weeks/months?)

I haven't got to the end of this thread yet.  Maybe a solution will appear further on!  But somehow I doubt it.  Until it does, it's fair to say we aren't receiving the service (or the support) we pay for and which PlusNet proclaims it provides.  So is it time for us, as users, to escalate this issue since PlusNet seems unwilling to do so?

Tony

ttstoo
Dabbler

Ah well, here I am, having reached the end of the thread, and I'm "it". 

I must be clairvoyant, because I was correct in forecasting when I was reading near the start of the thread that no solution would have emerged when I reached the end. 

@bobpullen seems to suggest the problem will eventually be resolved with a new firmware release - well please, bring it on (but best test it a bit better than you seem to have the current one prior to its release!) 

I feel Bob's statement that the issue isn't widespread is unjustified, for the following reasons: the vast majority of users leave the configuration of their hubs as pre-set, meaning the two channels are synced.  When left that way most will be oblivious to the fact that they are only communicating over the 2.4GHz channel and never the 5GHz one.  Only those of us who have dabbled in the settings and decided they'd like to deliberately and explicitly use the faster speeds offered by the 5GHz radio will discover that it now (since this current firmware release) no longer will sustain a viable connection (although it did before it).  Some of these will contact Plusnet phone support, and if their experience is anything like mine earlier this evening they will be fobbed-off with a solution that doesn't work (or work for long) while NOT being told the actual truth - that this is a known error that many others have reported without a resolution to date.  Only a small minority will bother to explore this forum searching for others with similar experiences to their own.  Just because the process deters the vast majority from registering the problem doesn't mean it is rare!  It isn't, and I suspect it may in fact be universal across all users on the current version (which we've been told is everyone).  But Plusnet are unlikely to admit it, just like certain banks' initial denials / downplaying when their apps, autotellers or online banking systems stop working.  But in those cases they were quickly forced to face reality because the problems could not be cloaked as this one is by the continued functioning of 2.4GHz and techies apparent unwillingness to identify similarities in complaints.

The other thing that mystifies me is that no-one - complainants or Plusnet staff - has mention the Event Log on the Hub One Troubleshooting tab.  This contains a lot of data.  It appears to mean something, and surely must contain clues, at least, to the cause of the problem with the 5GHz channel.  Yet none of the complainants has been asked to supply the contents of their log for periods when connections failed.  Why on earth not?  Surely someone at Plusnet is competent to analyse the contents of the logs, and determine the conditions that trigger the failures?

I'd like this problem to be resolved, for myself and all the other users it affects, whether they're aware of it or not.  How can I ensure this post triggers a Problem Report that gets a job/ticket number that is dealt with in a timely manner, unlike the experiences of other contributors? 

Will anyone at Plusnet reply to these questions?  This thread's history doesn't fill one with optimism, sadly.  But one can live in hope.  It's still only Monday (10th June).  It was my birthday yesterday and I got a lovely greeting from my old Australian ISP (iiNet, if you're interested!).  Plusnet didn't bother, but a reply to my questions here would be like a present (hint!)

ttstoo

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Welcome to the forums Smiley

(and sorry for the delay in replying. I'm normally quicker than this but have a lot of stuff on atm, so won't be back for a while yet)

I can only suggest 2 workarounds. The first one is to turn off the 5GHz completely and the second it to use a different router. I opted for a BT Smart Hub (aka Hub 6). If you decide to go down the same route then the cheapest place to buy one would be ebay - A new in a sealed box should cost around £30 and a second hand one would be around £20. For an ADSL or FTTC connection you'd needs a FTTC hub 6, not a FTTP hub 6. There are instructions on these forums for how to connect one to a plusnet connection.

1110juliet
Hooked

Would a different (BT?) router work; if so surely PN should be issuing them to those who are having issues.

I have checked with PN and our signal is good but wifi keeps dropping out.  Also the computer is picking up somebody else's BT Hub and "living room" which are not ours!

ttstoo
Dabbler

Thanks DS - both for the welcome and for the information.  I am pretty skint at the moment and can't really justify spending even £20 on another router.  In any case I resent having to overcome the the problem myself - it's Plusnet's fault, as is obvious to anyone (except apparently Plusnet) and it's up to them to fix it.  I can get by with 2.4GHz.  I've actually got an old Hub One, too, that's wired in and acts as a range extender to the main one, but since it's not directly connected it hasn't been updated from the old firmware version, and this is giving me 5GHz still - but it's better in the back of the house where my official Hub One's range is flakey.   Still, the telly can connect to it (or rather the Amazon Fire TV stick).

Thanks again.  I will wait for the eventual firmware update which will come eventually, I'm sure.  Maybe then Plusnet will come clean!

Cheers

Tony 

NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro

Hi everyone,

Just thought I would give an update as to what has been happening on this from my end. I see that other users still continue to see this issue and raise it on this or the other related threads.

At the end of May I was given a test firmware on my router which it was hoped would rectify the problem.

I guess that at least showed that Plusnet thought they were on the track of what the problem was.

All seemed to be working well until yesterday. After almost three weeks exactly the same problem with the 5 Ghz WiFi returned. I gave it a few hours to recover itself but in the end had to restart the router. This 'fix' clearly hasn't solved the problem.

I have reported this back to the relevant person in Plusnet but am yet to receive a response.

I find it disappointing that no further official information from Plusnet has appeared on the forums relating to this issue. It shouldn't really be up to me to update others on the current situation.

@Gandalf  Could you please explain what has happened to my formal complaint ticket for this? It seems to have disappeared. Clearly the issue has not been fixed so my complaint should still be outstanding.

I will provide a further update if there is anything to report when Plusnet respond to me about the test firmware issue.

NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro

@Gandalf Any chance of a reply about what happened to my formal complaint ticket please?

No reply form you in 3 days and no reply from Bob Pullen in 4 days really makes it look like Plusnet couldn't care less about this issue. Everybody else on the forum can see it. I really cannot believe how deluded Plusnet staff are to think you can treat paying customers like this.

Award winning customer service?!!!!