Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One losing internet connection on 5Ghz WiFi only

NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Hub One losing internet connection on 5Ghz WiFi only

@MasterOfReality 

Thanks for your response which again doesn't progress anything.

Could you please also answer my points and questions from message 85 including how I raise this as a formal complaint with Plusnet.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @NigeBoy

We are sorry to hear you feel this way.

Unfortunately we cannot progress this issue forward unless the required information has been provided as explained to you on previous occasions. Rather than just treat the symptoms, the relevant team is trying to investigate and locate the actual cause of the issue. We are not saying that the relevant team will not rollback the firmware but do require the other information first to aid in their investigation.

We will be more than happy to address your complaint which I believe you have raised concerns here and I believe we have addressed some of the points throughout this thread as well as marked your ticket as a complaint.

You can also see our Complaints code of practice here, we are happy to give you a call so we can discuss the matter further and escalate the issue as per our escalation process if you are still unsatisfied with the outcome at that point.

Please let us know how you would like to proceed as we are keen to progress this issue further.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro

@Beyhive 

As I have stated before I have answered most of those questions. I will do it again and add that to my complaint.

I suspect that what you mean by 'We are not saying that the relevant team will not rollback the firmware but do require the other information first to aid in their investigation' is that you will roll my firmware back in another five days to resolve my complaint ticket. Sorry but that will be six weeks too late.

I do not know who you think you are fooling with any of this timewasting but it certainly isn't me.

It is interesting you say that you are keen to progress the issue, it seems to be progressing nicely according to the forums. I wish you were as keen to resolve it. Just your bad use of words I guess but it is important. Communication from Plusnet staff is part of what I am complaining about.

I will post my answers to your questions in the very near future. In the meantime just read my earlier posts in this thread, the answers are already there.

NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro

1. Exactly how does the problem masquerade itself, what are the symptoms?

Devices on 5GHz can no longer communicate with the internet. They initially appear to stay connected to Wifi with no internet. 2.4 Ghz Wifi & Ethernet continue to work. The only way to restore 5 Ghz is to restart the router.

2. When did the problem start?

First noticed on 4th March 2019 when I first had to restart to restore 5Ghz Wifi

3. What firmware version is router and when was it last updated?

Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 25/02/19

4. What devices do you have on your network and how are they connected, eg. wired or wireless?

5 Ghz

Android Smartphone, Smart TV, Echo Dot

2.4 Ghz

Android tablets, Clever Dog Wifi Cam, Laptop, Now TV box, Smart Sockets & Switches, Smart IR emitter, Eufy Genie smart speaker

Ethernet

2 desktop PCs, Print sharer, NowTV Box, Android TV Box, Sky Box, XBOX360 , additional 2.4 Ghz AP

5. How is your network configured i.e. any Powerline adapters, additional switches, attached storage or or wi-fi access points in use?

Powerline adapters used to connect the 2.4 Ghz AP mentioned above. 2 Network switches, 1 to provide additional ports for the PCs & print sharer and 1 for the Streaming boxes mentioned above. 

6. What devices does the problem affect and what software/firmware versions are they running (if known). This will help us try and replicate the issue in a lab environment.

Anything on 5Ghz

7. Are the 2.4GHz/5GHz radios separated or merged (they're merged by default). If separated, which radio is affected (or is it both)?

Separated. 5Ghz only is affected.

8. Have you tried factory resetting? (if not, please try this)

No, because a trial restore of my config resulted in the router reconnecting every 17 minutes with the wrong user credentials. Something else I reported earlier in here and you never bothered to reply about. Next time it fails I will try that. It must be due, it's a long time since I went 4 days without restarting.

9. Would you be willing to downgrade firmware if we need to in order to help diagnose the issue. Bear in mind this will wipe all of the settings back to factory defaults, and we may need to upgrade/downgrade a second time to further prove that it's the firmware that's the cause of the issue.

For about the 8th time now, yes I am more than willing to have the firmware downgraded. 

Hopefully now you have those answers you can make some progress. I really doubt it will make any difference though.

What you don't seem to be the slightest bit interested in is asking if everything worked before the firmware upgrade. Yes, it did. It was all absolutely fine.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Hello @NigeBoy,

I can assure you this is not the case and my colleague Faris is correct. We are taking steps to resolve the issue, however we can not just treat the symptoms and must complete our investigation.

Unfortunately it is not our decision as to whether we are able to roll back the firmware as a resolution to your complaint, and it would only be approved by the relevant team. 

I have passed on the information supplied and if they feel that a firmware is the action they need to take, we will certainly get in touch and advise you of this.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro

I followed the link above from @DS on how to raise a formal complaint.

One of the options was to use the help assistant to raise a ticket rather than phoning or using Plusnet Chat. That is what I did.

Here is the reply I received :-

'

Thank you for your enquiry regarding making a formal complaint.

There are two ways to make a formal complaint. One is to give us a call on 0800 432 0200, and ask to speak to a manager, and the other is to click on this link https://www.plus.net/help/legal/complaints-code-of-practice/

I have checked the notes on your account and I cannot see any reference to any issues with your router. I am more than happy to help resolve any router issues with you. Please let us know what your issues with the router are and we will be able to help rectify them.

If there is anything else we can help you with please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Please do not hesitate to get back in touch online via Online Chat or by phone on 0800 432 0200 if we can assist with anything else.

You can get answers to most questions using our support pages by going to Help and Supportwhere you can find helpful guides for most issues.

'

So, apparently there is no record of me having any issues with my router. Have I missed something here?

The link I have been supplied with above is the one that says I can use help assistant to raise a complaint.

Looks like I have wasted my time yet again.

Also, it seems that if you report problems here in the community, the 'real Plusnet' don't get to know about them.

Has anybody got a clue what is going on?

NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro

I do like that confident statement though :-

Please let us know what your issues with the router are and we will be able to help rectify them.

Undecided

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Has anybody got a clue what is going on?

NoHuh

I'd have thought this issue (the router, not the complaint) would have already been noted on your account, via the ticket system.

I would now assume the PT (Product Team) and the ST (Social Team) work with crayons and tracing paper, or chalk and slate or indeed a hammer and chisel.

Plus I still don't get how some had a downgrade and you (thus far) didn't get it actioned. Unless I'm missing something, I have no idea why?

(they can access the router remotely, so wonder if they've spotted something on that?)

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @NigeBoy,

I'm sorry for any confusion that this may have caused you. Regarding the complaint, I can see that the ticket raised on your account has since been updated and for reference this can be viewed here.

Just to clarify, though this has been raised to our products team for review, we can't guarantee when a firmware downgrade may be completed or if it will be approved.

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro

@TheMightyAJ 

There is no confusion.

The incompetence & dishonesty of everyone from Plusnet who has replied to this thread is confirmed & clear for everyone to see.

Latest update to my formal complaint ticket  ( I have left names in this time, this isn't Line of Duty so confirmed guilty people do need to suffer, I have for six weeks!) :-

"Sorry for the confusion. Susan will have just checked the notes or tickets on your account and not the forum site link you posted.
Which I quickly read through.

This ticket has been flagged as a complaint.

I was myself going to create a request over to our products team to downgrade your routers firmware, as requested repeatedly by you on our community site, but Samantha beat me to it an hour ago ( She was the last to reply to you on there )

So that request is now with the correct team. I do not have an ETA when the firmware will be downgraded.

It can take a few days.

Kind regards,

[CSA Removed]"

Moderators Note: CSA name removed as per Forum rules

NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro

I will still take my complaint to Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) by contacting the Ombudsman Services.

Your response has been much too little too late.

Saying sorry for the confusion does not cover for the deception, timewasting and pure ignorance of the issues faced by me and many others.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @NigeBoy 

The incompetence & dishonesty of everyone from Plusnet who has replied to this thread is confirmed & clear for everyone to see.

I can assure you that nobody has intentionally been dishonest at all. Doing this would be totally counter intuitive as this would ultimately cause more issues than it would fix (if any). In regards to the incompetence you mention - I must again that we have provided you with information has been given to us by the relevant department and people. We have not taken it upon ourselves to make this harder for you, we are here to help and we will always do our best. 

( I have left names in this time, this isn't Line of Duty so confirmed guilty people do need to suffer, I have for six weeks!) :-

[CSA Removed] "Moderators Note: CSA name removed as per Forum rules

As you can see, this has been edited by a Mod as including staff names is against the forum rules. This does not have any detrimental effect on your complaint at all.

I will still take my complaint to Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) by contacting the Ombudsman Services.

That is completely within your right to do, and nobody here would try and persuade you otherwise. I can see that the complaint is now raised correctly on your account and we are awaiting a reply. Once this has been provided, we will be able to take the appropriate steps to reach an amicable resolution with yourself. 

Kind Regards, 

MoR

NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro

@MasterOfReality 

I am not trying to individually blame the help team or suggest they are deliberately dishonest. 

When somebody has offered to follow something up they often have never reported back to me. I have almost always had to chase for a response. If someone told me they would do something and they haven't, then in my view that is dishonest. Can you explain it any other way?

I think the way Plusnet as a whole is handling this problem shows gross incompetence. I now include the CSAs in that as their handling of my complaint has been no better so far.

I have asked the (now censored) CSA why they have requested the firmware to be downgraded when you have categorically told me that won't work. It doesn't really suggest that they agree with what I was told does it? I have also asked them to clarify why they said that request is now with the correct team. Is that suggesting that for the previous 5 weeks it wasn't with the correct team?

I would love to get get an amicable solution on this but sadly nearly 6 weeks of effort has got me and plenty of others absolutely nowhere. You may be trying your best but it is achieving absolutely nothing.

This isn't anything personal. I just want to be getting what I am paying for and don't feel that anyone at Plusnet is giving this the attention it deserves.

Regards,

Nige.

NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro

So, just to confirm the level of incompetence we are dealing with now from Plusnet on this issue, this is the response I got today on the ticket for my formal complaint :-

"

Thank you for getting back in touch with us.

So we can get to the bottom of the issue please confirm or describe the wiFi connection-you are experiencing.

Please also follow the bellow instructions so you can confirm what firmware you are currently on. 

1. Open Internet Explorer or your browser of choice, delete the contents of the address bar, and enter http://192.168.1.254/

2. When you press "Enter" or "Return", you will see a page with information about your connection, click "Home" at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password.

3. Once signed in please check right at the bottom of the page on the bottom right hand side you will see the plusnet Logo to the left of that you will see "plusnet Hub one : Software version and the code.

Please get back in touch with this code of numbers and dots so we can investigate. 

I have checked this further and our products team are not downgrading firmware as part of a fix.

We hope that this helps but if there is anything else we can help you with please let us know. You can log into your account by visiting your Member Centre and contact us online from there or alternatively our contact number is 0800 432 0200.

"

I will bite my tongue rather than saying anything else here.