Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One losing internet connection on 5Ghz WiFi only

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Hub One losing internet connection on 5Ghz WiFi only

I'm keen to find out!!;)

(and still might resurrect one of my H1's)

NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Okay, so it is Friday and here is my update.

All is still absolutely fine.

No reconnects & no 5 Ghz failures as far as I am aware.

To put things in perspective this is only one week and things had been fine for 2 and a half years before things got messed up at the end of February coinciding with a firmware release! 

Surely someone from Plusnet must know what the reconnecting after 17 minutes issue was about and why my actions stopped that.

I'm happy to stay on this firmware for now but I will let you know if I have further issues. Please let me know if you have resolved anything at your end as that is only fair because my service reliability had been well below acceptable recently and I do feel I was left to troubleshoot this on my own.

I bothered to do it because I feel that there were other users out there with the same issues who were not in a position to investigate for themselves. As paying customers they shouldn't have to. I also spent time doing it to make sure I had an internet connection over the Easter holidays. Plusnet didn't seem concerned as far as their comments on here. 

Fingers crossed it keeps working, I suspect that is all that is happening at Plusnet too until I hear otherwise.

NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro

Unbelievable!

My 5 Ghz Wifi has just failed!

I won't touch it for a bit.

Come on Plusnet, work this one out.

DS
Seasoned Champion

The joys of using a H1!! on software 263Lips_are_sealed

If you've not already, it might be worth giving the details as requested over here

NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro

@DS 

Thanks for that, I had just been reading that same thread.

I'm beginning to think there is little point in trying to help Plusnet sort this.

They seem to refuse to accept there is a problem and the person who they seem to think is the expert and gets thing referred to seems no better.

This has been going on since November for some people.

I'm beginning to think that escalating this away from these forums & Plusnet is the only way to get a solution. More people would recognise having the symptoms if they were posted on the BBC website!

All they need to ask is what has changed at the users end since it worked properly.

In my case it is nothing but the firmware, I'm sure that would be true in 90%+ cases. That questionnaire is just waffle & b*llsh*t & delaying tactics again. Can you imaging the reaction if other ISPs asked that of their customers?  Or the reaction of other ISPs if they read on the BBC that Plusnet were asking their customers that?

Come on Plusnet, pull your finger out. I'm not waiting forever.

I have twice agreed to having my firmware downgraded already but you haven't delivered. I have previously agreed to stick with it again because it has been stable for a few days before you have managed to do it.

This is not award winning customer service.

DS
Seasoned Champion

I'll admit it @NigeBoy I've been pretty peed off of late. I've had issues on and off for all the time I've been with Plusnet and we did even renew our contract with them as previous issues were slowly but surely worked out (with a lot of effort from me too).

The router acting up was almost the final nail.

Then the recent admittance I was connected to a flaky data centre filled me with anger (initially) and then relief, as it really does sound like my many months of 'moaning' have actually paid off.

But I totally understand where you're coming from. The biggest issue with this software release is the fact there's not many of us reporting it. I have no idea if their call centre is being bombarded with these types of reports, maybe Plusnet can give us some stats on the low or high numbers of users recently (last 6 months or so) reporting wifi issues even after all the 'normal' workarounds have been tried (to death!).

I too have thought what you're thinking, but based on reading around I'm hopeful they have either found the cause (and don't want to go public, yet) or are still trying to replicate it. Time will tell I guess and if every H1 router gets another update then we can pretty well much assume it was across the board..... tick tock!!;)

But think about it, we're doing what is asked of us, it's then down to them to find a fix!!KnuppelEvil

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Hello guys,

I understand the frustration and inconvenience this issue is causing. I can assure you we have passed all the information onto our products team who are investigating the issue, and once we know more we will update the threads.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
DS
Seasoned Champion

Any chance of teeny weeny carrot being dangled - a 'we replicated it' or 'you are all bonkers, nothing is wrong'?

Fanksalot;)

(I did read that BobP is on leave, but surely something is better than nothing)

stevewx
Grafter

@NigeBoy 

I've been connected for over 10 days now.  5GHz has continued to work, Family have not commented - meaning all is working.

v4.7.5.1.83.8.237.2.2 is much more stable for me than v263

Steve

NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro

Hi @stevewx ,

Thanks for the update. I'm glad rolling back the firmware seems to have done the trick for you.

No real surprise there though.

What used to work still does work on your router and the latest firmware appeared to have messed things up.

I'm sure Plusnet will still try to blame it on Powerline adaptors, the weather or perhaps what I had for lunch.

Maybe they will give me an update sometime soon or even actually roll my firmware back.

stevewx
Grafter

@NigeBoy 

>>Thanks for the update.

No worries.   I jumped on the back of the most appropriate thread when I was stuck and it was your problem I joined as it was the same.

>>I'm glad rolling back the firmware seems to have done the trick for you.

I'm still not sure what trick it has done as I've no idea why Plusnet updated my original software and broke something.

What was broke enough that I had not even complained about, so did they (plusnet) need to fix overnight - and break something.

I deal with safety critical systems - people can/do die (railway).  So why update after two years?  And thanks for breaking WiFi.  And then why roll back to a version I've never used.  OK it works.  I'm happy so far, but I've learnt sod all.

>>I'm sure Plusnet will still try to blame it on Powerline adapters

Not for me, but here's a tech support question.  Can you smash them to death using a hot pan of Heinz Baked Beans?  Heavy pan, at least two cans of beans.  If not, Timmy Mallet, the man himself?  He's good at crushing powerline adapters.  They mush be crushed with a mallet, sauce and Heinz.  Can't make it any simpler for you whilst Plusnet are doing nothing.

>>the weather

Careful on the weather gods, or I know where you live.

I am an associate fellow of the Royal Meteorological Society and represent Wild Weather Ales who I visited today for a beer report.  Also www.thatcham-weather.info which I run.  This paragraph is true. (OK, no idea where you live.)

>> or perhaps what I had for lunch.

I now feel sorry for you.  It's your lunch.

Oh, no idea how you get out of telling Plusnet what you even imagined you were going to have for lunch.   YOU are on your own now.  How could you eat that filth? 🙂

>>Maybe they will give me an update sometime soon or even actually roll my firmware back.

Weirdly again, it was having spent hours to find your thread, they sort of did it for me without me complaining.  They never said it on my only phone call.

Not saying you are complaining, but nobody is listening. 🙂

My only fear is Plusnet will read this and 'do me proud', but cutting me off.  Could be worse.

Cheers,

Steve

p.s.  I've no idea what downgrade I have.  No idea how it is working.

p.p.s.  I could ask, do I give a shirt?  (-r), but I do as I did say I was happy to help test.  YET, ALL QUIET.  Lucky me?

Steve

ahooks

Just wanted to chip in on this thread to say I'm also having this issue. I logged a call with support to which I got the standard response of, "have you tried turning it off and back on again" at which point I said I'm a 3rd line IT techie, it's the first thing I did! lol.  They said they'd pass my call on to "products" for advice, then closed my call.....surely the call should be kept open?

Anyway, I've tried a complete wipe and reset and I even had a spare HubOne router sent to me a while ago for another issue. Initially, (pre-firmware upgrade) all worked well on the spare router. Then after 24 hrs it got an update and boom.....same thing, 5Ghz dropped after approx 24 hrs. 

Devices wise, I've an Amazon Fire TV and Stick, Nintendo games consoles, Samsung TV's, OnePlus/Samsung mobiles, ipad and a Nest connected.  Non of these had issues connecting to 5Ghz, pre-Feb/March whenever the last firmware release was. 

Currently looking to see if these a better router out there, but I begrudge paying for a router when the one I have has worked flawlessly for a few years.  

Plusnet, if you're reading this, can I opt to have my firmware rolled back to the last release please?  

Cheers,

Adrian

1110juliet
Hooked

I am not a techie so don't understand most of the above; we have 2 iPads using wifi and they both keep dropping out very frequently.  Should I downgrade the update (Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 21/02/19) as has been suggested in previous threads, and if so how do I do that please?

Also any other solutions which step by step guides!

Our contract with Plusnet expires on 7 May and we haven't had any renewal information and I'm not keen on stopping with Plusnet at the moment unless there is a fix to the wifi dropping out all the time.

stevewx
Grafter

@1110juliet 

"Should I downgrade the update (Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 21/02/19) as has been suggested in previous threads, and if so how do I do that please?"

You don't do it - You need to request this from Plusnet.  
Plusnet asked me in this thread (or possibly the other similar one) if I would be prepared to downgrade and test.

Just like your router updated overnight, it will do similar if Plusnet agree to downgrade your software.  No need for you to do anything except ask Plusnet.

Since my downgrade, the router has been connected for over 16 days and 5GHz wifi has remained stable.

Regards,

Steve

DS
Seasoned Champion

To add to the above

Also any other solutions which step by step guides!

From post #2, a temporary workaround is to

Click this link -  http://192.168.1.254/index.cgi?active_page=9105

(you'll need to type in your routers admin password)

On the wireless network enable, instead of the default of yes, select no and click apply

(ignore the warning messages, it's normal)

This will turn off the 5GHz and put a red wifi light on the router.

Firstly, as it turns off the 5GHz SSID, this should stop your devices going through the endless loop of trying to connect to that SSID.

Secondly, a router downgrade, should (according to Plusnet) restore the router to it's 'normal' default configuration. If it does this, then when the red wifi light goes out, it should let you know the downgrade has taken place.

So the bit highlighted in blue might help stop the wifi issues.