Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One losing internet connection on 5Ghz WiFi only

NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Hub One losing internet connection on 5Ghz WiFi only

Hi,

Thanks, I've just got back on. It did it another twice, changing the username and losing internet access.

So what would cause that to happen 4 times in 100 minutes? I actually turned the router off for 20 of those minutes because that way at least I knew I couldn't use the internet. I really don't believe that someone wasn't tinkering with something.

It has been up for over 15 minutes now so that is better than the previous 2 hours. If it stays stable much longer it will almost be on a par with 1990s dial up!

Strangely when it has used the setup user name it is possible to access www.plus.net and nothing else!

Seriously, thanks for taking some action on this, I just want my internet back how it was before the update.

UPDATE - Guess what! I was just about to send this and it's done it again. About 17 minutes up time so we aren't making much progress.

Just had to reload config again before sending this! This time it took about 2-3 minutes to load the config.

Anything else I can try to avoid having the whole of Easter with no internet?

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

The broadband username changing to setup@plusdsl.net twice in an hour really isn't just random is it? It's never done it before in the 2.5 years I've been with you.

I wonder if you/they turned off automatic hardware setup from the default of enabled to disabled....?

(that's the only explanation I have to offer)

We (the customer) can access this via the member centre. Some know it as TR069.

NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro

Just did it again. Was watching on the connection page on the hub. Got to a few seconds short of 17 minutes and the screen changed to say PPP Connecting. When it came back it was connected as setup@plusdsl.net.

NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro

Okay, so at least I've worked out how to keep my connection for more than 17 minutes.

After the hub had changed my username to setup@... yet again I disconnected, typed in my real username & password and connected.

That seems to have done the trick. 

I tried it because I noticed that on the internet tab the connection time counter reset to zero when the username changed, whilst on the connection tab the counter just kept going. I also noticed it didn't reconnect every 17 minutes having done it once. Restoring the config as I had done before to reset the username caused the connection to restart and therefore fail 17 minutes later. Another bug for you to look at.

I doubt it will have sorted the 5 Ghz issue but at least I now have a workaround to fix the issue caused by having to restart when that happens.

It is really frustrating reading back through the forums that this firmware has been causing issues since November and yet it still seems to be being rolled out. The same few people on here are constantly giving the same replies but nothing ever gets fixed. At best people who complain get their firmware rolled back and some other customer gets the new stuff rolled out to them and the cycle starts again.

Hopefully I'll get mine rolled back very soon now.

DS
Seasoned Champion

After the hub had changed my username to setup@... yet again I disconnected, typed in my real username & password and connected.

I misread what you wrote earlier. I thought it reverted to setup@ and you were manually connecting using yourusername@ but then it was reverted back to setup@ Embarrassed

Anyway, at least you've sussed it out.

(though I know I turned off TR069 over a year ago, but somebody has turned it back onHuh)

At best people who complain get their firmware rolled back and some other customer gets the new stuff rolled out to them and the cycle starts again.

I still find it odd that not all hub one users are seeing this.

(or are they and they don't know?)

NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro

Hi DS,

I was only restoring the config because I didn't have my password to hand. Once I had confirmed it was what I thought I decided to type it in.

I really didn't expect any difference in behaviour between the two, restoring the config should just have put back the settings (including logon details) that had worked successfully for 2.5 years. They had even been backed up from this (dodgy) firmware version so there should be no issues at all.

All has remained stable overnight and into today so far.

Fingers crossed.

DS
Seasoned Champion

Now it makes sense;)

I actually always set my routers up offline, including the account details filled in, then drop them onto the network. At least that way I hope that if there's an authentication issue then it should still connect using my username and password.

(still doesn't answer how auto setup on my account was switched back to enabled mind you.... hmm? - maybe they do this to allow the software to be installed?)

To my knowledge, backing up the hubs config only retains user made changes (ie splitting the wifi, SSID change etc) and doesn't save the log in details as normally your unique log in details only show after the router shakes hands with their server(s). But if you fill it out yourself, then can't see why this wouldn't also be stored to the config file.

NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro

But I could see that the restore did put back my correct logon details. It would then connect & work fine for 17 mins after which internet connectivity was lost.

I then watched it twice on the Advanced Settings - Internet page on the hub. It was happily logged on as me, would count up to 17 mins, then blank the details and just display 'PPP Connecting' and come back logged in as setup@plusdsl.net with the connected time counting from zero again. As I say, I watched it twice and saw it happen in front of my eyes. It did it a total of 6 or 7 times but I wasn't watching them all. I just know each time I lost the internet about 15 mins after reconnecting.

DS
Seasoned Champion

Hmm, ok. I wonder if Plusnet can find out what this 17 minute 'timer' is all about then.

And from what you're saying, it did restore your credentials from the config - which makes why it kept dropping a little more interesting....Huh

Could it be the downgrade tries every 17 mins until it actually 'kicks in'. I wonder if your intervention is/has stalled the downgrade taking place. I know, based on Plusent, that a downgrade wipes it back to factory settings and I've read of another user who couldn't get their config file to restore after being downgraded. But I do know that the backup config file is 'locked' to that particular router (so your backup will not load onto a replacement router if they sent you another one)

Something doesn't seem quite right here <long pause with some head scratching>

stevewx
Grafter

@NigeBoy 

@DS   I did alter wifi passwords/split the wifi network into separate SSIDs, also a program uses port forwarding.  But it did not load the config file I had saved in the last week.

Since Wednesday's downgrade to 237.2.2
1x Reboot later in the day (not me)
3x reconnects on 18th
2x reconnects on 19th

Then stable line connection.  3days 6hrs as I type.

My iPhone drops back to 2.4GHz, even when always in range of 5GHz, but does go to 5GHz if I ask it to.  That's an improvement.  And other devices seems to swap between the two frequencies as either they connect, or like my phone, just swap.  (Phone never swaps from 2.4 to 5.0 though.)

Advanced - Home Network knows there is something connected to LAN3 (100 Mb/s), but has forgotten what it is.  Camera is working though and I don't want to reset the router just to see the camera appear.

As for you question later in the thread about only some users have problems, or maybe some have not noticed.  I'd tend to believe the latter.  It took me a while to find this thread and join in.  So you have to put some effort in.  I did speak on the phone to Plusnet, but they had never heard of this problem.  So on balance, you are unlikely to stumble upon this message - and basically told to stick a paper clip somewhere.

-----------------

But whilst a test engineer, I've no idea if the downgrade is better/worse or what Plusnet were expecting for me.

Cheers,

Steve

DS
Seasoned Champion

I did alter wifi passwords/split the wifi network into separate SSIDs, also a program uses port forwarding.  But it did not load the config file I had saved in the last week.

Ah, I see. So it really does sound like a downgrade stops the backup config file from restoring, which is a shame:(

(but I'm used to manually tweaking the settings anyway, something which I always do)

Since Wednesday's downgrade to 237.2.2
1x Reboot later in the day (not me)
3x reconnects on 18th
2x reconnects on 19th

Then stable line connection.  3days 6hrs as I type.

Hmm, I have no idea, but wonder if the software update, which all I've been able to find out is that is tweaked the wifi drivers, also fixes something regarding the modem too...?

Ignoring the 'up/down/up broke/down fix' software, it is quite common for these routers to be a little picky with certain connections. In my case my PNH1 could stay connected for a few days, but my BTSH6 has now been up for 5+ days.

My iPhone drops back to 2.4GHz, even when always in range of 5GHz, but does go to 5GHz if I ask it to.  That's an improvement.  And other devices seems to swap between the two frequencies as either they connect, or like my phone, just swap.  (Phone never swaps from 2.4 to 5.0 though.)

It got to a point whereby my phone would remember an SSID that it couldn't have remembered!Huh

I changed the SSID's to different ones (from their default or my 'New router' and 'New router-5G'), but with the same start to the passkey, but it would somehow remember both. The only way to overcome it was to rename the SSIDs to 2 completely different names 'New router' and '5GHz boost' with 2 completely different passkeys for both, or indeed simply turning off the 5GHz.

Advanced - Home Network knows there is something connected to LAN3 (100 Mb/s), but has forgotten what it is.  Camera is working though and I don't want to reset the router just to see the camera appear.

That's a common 'theme'. It can sometimes fix itself, or disconnecting the cable from the router, hitting the refresh button, then sticking it back in and refreshing again can sort that out.

edit. I mean the ethernet cable, not the dsl cable, just thought I'd point that bit out!!;)

As for you question later in the thread about only some users have problems, or maybe some have not noticed.  I'd tend to believe the latter.  It took me a while to find this thread and join in.  So you have to put some effort in.  I did speak on the phone to Plusnet, but they had never heard of this problem.  So on balance, you are unlikely to stumble upon this message - and basically told to stick a paper clip somewhere.

I know of around 6 other Plusnet customers whom have the same issues as mentioned on various threads, but they either don't want to join the forums or want to endure the call centre or don't know how to sign up to the forums. They (all of them) are not technical hence 2 of those were going to buy a new iPhone and a new laptop (independently). I do not know all of them and thus I'm limited as to how to assist them (some are friends of friends) but at least I stopped two fo them wasting money on new devices.

I also know some have bought BTH6's whereas some have turned off 5GHz which has helped some too.

But whilst a test engineer, I've no idea if the downgrade is better/worse or what Plusnet were expecting for me.

The downgrade is not a fix and is not better or worse (imho). Each software update is there to fix existing faults with the previous software. The solution (imho) is for Plusent to fix the latest software, sooner rather than later, as more and more could well be buying new gear thinking it's their fault (imho)

I can only 'count' those I'm told about by word of mouth, or via these forums. I doubt very much we'll ever find out how many this affected, but should the latest firmware change in the next few months, then one could deduce it was actually all of them...?

NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro

Hi all,

Just a quick update from me.

Since all the messing about I did on Thursday evening, finally retyping my username & password manually to stay online, my connection has been stable and fully working.

I haven't lost connection at all and even the 5 Ghz Wifi has been working as it should (fingers crossed whilst I type that).

My firmware hasn't been downgraded so I am still on 263 but all seems well at the moment.

Not sure if that helps to give any more clues. Maybe it just works perfectly when all the Plusnet people are away on holiday!

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @NigeBoy

Thanks for the update - I'm pleased to hear that this is now stable. I can see that the connection has been up for over four days now without drops.

We haven't taken any other actions on your account that might have triggered this, so it's difficult to ascertain why this has suddenly started to perform as we'd expect.

Keep an eye on things and let us know how you get on?

Best wishes

Dave

DS
Seasoned Champion

Hmm, I still can't understand why you had to type in your details just to stay online. I must admit, checking that status at my end was something I didn't think to monitor. But maybe mine was doing the same, hence why this affected both my wired and wireless connections - they would fail to load pages, though the lights didn't alter during that time.

(I used to have auto setup via my account disabled, but either the system or a human went back and turned it back on)

And now (at the time you posted) you're not seeing this, I simply can't suss out why it's started to work again. Something happened to give you the issue and now, possibly due to you needing to type your details in, it seems to be working as expected.

Unless you start digging, though chances are if a downgrade took place without you knowing it would delete the logs, then maybe yours did go down and then had 263 sent out again. Could the first time around have been a trigger point - maybe is was partially corrupt and now it isn't.

The only other thing that might be a trigger, which I've documented elsewhere on the forums, is the fact that the plusnet router permits spaces in the SSID, whereas BT do not permit spaces

(ie PNH1 I could use New Router but BTHH5 needs New-Router thus no space on the latter) 

I might have to revert back to my PNH1, as this still does bug me a little, the not knowing why it happened to me....

edit. Oops, so we can rule out a downgrade and possibly a second upgrade then. Makes why yours is now working even more of a mystery!!

NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro

I'll keep an eye on it and let you know if anything strange happens.

If all stays well I'll update you on Friday.

Cheers.