Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One losing internet connection on 5Ghz WiFi only

stevewx
Grafter

Re: Hub One losing internet connection on 5Ghz WiFi only

Hi Nige,

I also followed the link you posted above then searched on the software version.  It's not just us.

I spoke to Plusnet last Friday and I decided to reboot the router rather than sort of listen to somebody apologise/not really know/guess.  It was suggested I put the paperclip in the back, but that was too much hassle at the time.  My reboot worked whilst I was on the phone.  (Since then, why suggest a paperclip when you can login and do it?  I don't have paperclips to hand.)

But if it helps, I'm happy to reset the router now as I've not only saved the config file, but being a fault finding/test engineer, I've also cut and pasted every single page of the router into a Word doc!  I'll not reset now unless asked as I may as well try the different software - then reset and/or try another version of software.

Losing 5G is nothing like losing broadband, running water, falling asleep on a train and waking up in Paddington, electricity or 8 pints of blood, but..., it needs a solution.

Plusnet has been incredibly reliable since joining 2 years ago.  I still cannot believe how reliable they have been.  Five stars for that.  Even now, I'd still award 5.

I'll now be login in to the router before bed to see if anything is going to be installed overnight - how sad 🙂

Cheers,

Steve

stevewx
Grafter

@RandallFlagg 

Isn't 'waiting for it to go wrong again', a very cheap solution to a recurring problem?

We are willing to be guinea pigs to downgrade and assist Plusnet.  And Plusnet have suggested it themselves.  So I appreciate those people.

I guess you'll run away from these questions.

1)  Can you tell me what changed in firmware/software since my upgrade jumped many versions after two years. 

2) Not only what changed, but why did I miss so many upgrades?

3) What was not broken on my setup until you forced an update on the 28th March?

4)  What was broken on my setup that you felt a need to force an update on the 28th March without informing me?

I suspect my questions will be ignored.  Thanks.  Or I'll get a silly answer like everything has been done for my benefit - and you are just the messenger.

Steve

@NigeBoy Wish I had not joined in with the same symptoms now.  If you ever want to borrow a BIG paperclip though..., 20 seconds is too short, maybe a few minutes or days.  And if you borrow it, please keep it as I don't want it back.  I've made one to reset a moderator!

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi @stevewx

Thanks for your questions. Rest assured that they wont be ignored. However, because the majority of us on the forums are just front line support, we don't know the full ins and outs of the router updates etc.

So, at the risk of sounding like 'Just the messenger' I want to get you a more informed response to this.

With it being the weekend we don't have any available at the moment I can directly ask however,  leave this with me and I'll get some more accurate answers for you.

Thanks.

NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Just a quick update.

5 Ghz Wifi failed again at about 22.15 on Monday night. 2.4 Ghz and Ethernet were still working fine. I left it overnight just to see if it would recover without restarting the router. It didn't.

It showed up in exactly the same way as before, my phone was still connected but was unable to load any data. The TV reported not having an internet connection and the echo dot was the same.

I'm getting fed up of having to reboot now.

I really don't think I can provide you with any more details that will help you diagnose the problem.

Could you please roll back my firmware to the one that actually works so that I can receive the service I am paying for.

Thanks.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @bobpullen

Could you possibly assist with @stevewx 's questions and roll back the firmware as per @NigeBoy 's request?

Best wishes

Dave

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

It's only a suggestion, but the following serves two purposes:

Click this link -  http://192.168.1.254/index.cgi?active_page=9105

(you'll need to type in your routers admin password)

On the wireless network enable, instead of the default of yes, select no and click apply

(ignore the warning messages, it's normal)

This will turn off the 5GHz and put a red wifi light on the router.

Firstly, as it turns off the 5GHz SSID, this should stop your devices going through the endless loop of trying to connect to that SSID.

Secondly, a router downgrade, should (according to Plusnet) restore the router to it's 'normal' default configuration. If it does this, then when the red wifi light goes out, it should let you know the downgrade has taken place.

stevewx
Grafter

Hub downgraded to 4.7.5.1.83.8.237.2.2 around 14:55 today.

Mild panic from WiFi users when I got home, but all working now.  Even a daughter's friend having a sleepover, and she auto-connected to 5GHz once I set it up.

The backup of the config file from the last version (.263) would not load, so an hour or two of hassle (mostly port-forwarding issues) and all seems stable.  (That would almost confirmed the backup config would reload.  I say almost as not confirmed, but maybe promised.)

Is there anything you want me to monitor?  Happy to check and log 5GHz Wi-fi once or twice a day.  Or anything else that is in this software I've never used.  Just let me know I an will record my findings.

Cheers,

Steve

p.s. I did not follow the link to active_page=9105 as my router had already downgraded the software version.  I don't want to turn off 5G after the downgrade.  I could have if I had saw this message and knew the downgrade was imminent.  4 hours later and no thanks - unless you tell me otherwise.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Hmm, something is a little interesting there.

So, the latest version was 263 and the previous (going by software numbers) is 259. But Plusnet have skipped 259 (with known 5GHz issues) and dropped you to 237.2.2

(why's that then Plusnet - something you're not letting on?)

Mild panic from WiFi users when I got home, but all working now

If the hub was using default settings (ie) wifi SSID and passkey, then it should have auto connected the devices. Unless you changed all of that, which if you did answers the question anyway;)

The backup of the config file from the last version (.263) would not load

Huh I wasn't expecting to hear that. The config file is for your router only and I would've thought it would have been backwards compatible.

Is there anything you want me to monitor?  Happy to check and log 5GHz Wi-fi once or twice a day.  Or anything else that is in this software I've never used.  Just let me know I an will record my findings.

I've nothing that springs to mind. Plusnet might ask you though. The software is the same, as in it does the same thing so you shouldn't see anything new/different. The only reason for the updates is to patch bugs with each version. Take 259 for example, it caused issues for certain 5GHz enabled devices and (all I can find publicly) is that 263 had some wifi driver updates - my guess to fix the previous software version.

A public list of all known issues and what the newer version is supposed to fix would be a great idea, hoping they will one day do this....

I did not follow the link

It doesn't matter:). But if you have any issues with 237.2.2 with the 5GHz, then you could always do it to get yourself out of trouble - though you shouldn't need to <insert fingers and toes and arms and legs crossed>

Hopefully, you can enjoy the peace and quiet now, until the router updates againLips_are_sealed

NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro

Any update on getting my firmware rolled back?

Your award winning service all seems a bit shoddy and over rated at the moment!

NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro

But thanks for the new email offering me superfast fibre for more money at least as far as my partially functioning router!

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Hello @NigeBoy,

I am sorry to hear you feel that way. It is with our products team who should complete this within a few days.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro

Any explanation as to why I lost internet completely at about 7pm then?

Broadband username on router had changed to setup@plusdsl.net. Restoring settings has restored it and put correct username back. Firmware hadn't changed and other settings hadn't changed either.

All devices thought they were connected but no wifi or ethernet devices had internet access.

Perhaps I shouldn't complain!

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

The connection can drop from time to time and could be  many reasons. From looking at our side it is not due to any changes that we have done that has caused it. I would just keep an eye on the connection and get back to us if the drops of this nature continue.

The firmware request is with our products team, who will action this within a few days.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro

But can you explain why it changed the username on the router?

It did it again just after 8pm so I have had to restore configuration again.

The broadband username changing to setup@plusdsl.net twice in an hour really isn't just random is it? It's never done it before in the 2.5 years I've been with you.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @NigeBoy,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue. I've changed some settings on your account now which should stop reverting the authentication settings to their default state. Please can you keep an eye on the connection and confirm if this resolves the dropping connection issue?

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team