Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One losing internet connection on 5Ghz WiFi only

NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Hub One losing internet connection on 5Ghz WiFi only

In the past few weeks I have been having problems with the 5 Ghz connection from my Hub One router.

The few WiFi devices I have on 5 Ghz lose connection to the internet. My phone using the 5 Ghz connection shows that it is connected to the router but there is no internet connection. Devices using ethernet or 2.4 Ghz WiFi connections continue to stay connected and can access the internet perfectly during this time.

The only way to fix the issue is to restart the router.

This started happening at the beginning of March and initially happened every couple of weeks or so. It has now become more frequent and has happened two out of the last three days.

The details from my Hub One state 'Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 25/02/19' so I am wondering if this issue may be related to the latest software version. Everything worked fine for the previous two years and nothing else has been moved or changed.

I have always used different names for the 2.4 and 5 Ghz connections so I am fully aware of what devices are on what connection.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue or can anybody offer any advice on how to fix it please?

493 REPLIES 493
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Hub One losing internet connection on 5Ghz WiFi only

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @NigeBoy, thanks for your post.

We're sorry to hear that you're being affected by this wireless issue.

Can you confirm which devices (Brand is fine) are connected to the 5Ghz when it loses connection? Do all devices on 5Ghz experience the same issue?

NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro

Hi,

All devices on 5 Ghz do seem to experience the issue at the same time.

These are a Hisense smart TV, a Cubot smartphone and an Amazon Echo Dot.

Hope that helps.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Thanks for getting back to us @NigeBoy, it helps us eliminate the possibility of it being related to one brand of device.

Can you advise if you have tried changing the wireless channel?

When did the issue start?

are you currently using any power line adapters or WiFi extenders?

Would you also be willing to downgrade your firmware version to help us narrow down the cause?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

I changed the channel after it happened on Monday but it has happened again today. By using WiFi Analyser on my phone I know that there are no nearby 5 Ghz networks on the same channels.

As far as I am aware I first had the issue in the first week of March this year.

I do use powerline adapters and have been using the same ones for 3 or 4 years with no problems at all. They are still working fine and continue to function even when the 5 Ghz WiFi is failing.

I would be happy to have the firmware downgraded to help the cause!

Since opening this thread I did notice that someone in another thread appeared to be having exactly the same issues although it wasn't entirely clear from that thread title. Link is: https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Router-WiFi-Problems/m-p/1626543#M11373 

Hope that helps.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hi @NigeBoy,

Can you try another channel to see if the same happens on another channel? If so please can you try without your powerline adapters, I realise its unlikely to be the cause but we do want to rule everything out first.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro

Hi,

I will try another channel again.

I can't really manage without using the powerline adapters as I would have no internet in parts of my house through thick stone walls. If it was failing daily I could try but I can't not use them for days on end waiting to see if it fails. If it helps the failures seem to have all happened when there is little or no traffic on the powerline adapters.

It sounds like there is 100% chance of a bug in the latest firmware with a tiny chance that the powerline adapters may help to show it up.

Surely rolling back the firmware is the correct thing to do as you haven't informed us of any supposed benefits for us from the new firmware and have reduced the reliability of your service significantly for at least a number of customers.

I will keep you informed of any further failures. 

stevewx
Grafter

I am having exactly the same problem you are describing.

Started recently - software dated 27Mar2019 and v4.7.51.83.8.263

Cannot say v 263 is the cause, but I just happened to notice this on 5th April.

LAN works, 2.4GHz works, 5GHz is a problem as nothing connects.

My iPhone for example says 'incorrect password', but if I reboot the hub, everything goes back to normal for a day or so, then the phone looks like it is connected to 5GHz, but no connection for browser or Apps.  Switching to 2.4GHz and phone works.  Reentering the correct PWD for 5GHz and it insists it is the wrong PWD.  Reboot the router and 5GHz works with no PWD change.

Other wifi devices include SkyBox, Microsoft Surface, Macbook Air, Amazon Fire, HP Laptop, other iPhones.  ALL fail to connect to 5GHz until the hub is rebooted.  NONE have problems with 2.4GHz.

5GHz is set to Smart Wireless - so it should be able to select a clear channel.  And there's probably only a Virgin connection from my neighbour, No others here.

Software version since Feb 2017 was 4.7.5.1.83.8.217.1.1.  The only upgrade in 2 years and 5GHz is failing.  

I wonder what needed 'fixing' so badly, as it appears to have broken 5GHz?

Not the end of the world, but BROKEN.

Cheers

Steve

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @NigeBoy and @stevewx, I'm sorry for the issues being experienced with your WiFi, thanks for providing that info. 

Are you both OK with us possibly downgrading the software to help diagnose the issue (bearing in mind this will put your router back to default settings)?

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
stevewx
Grafter

Hi Lauren,

I'm happy to try the downgrade.

I assume I can reload the saved configuration I've just made to make setting up quicker.

Finally any idea of when this may occur?  It's just I need to be around when the family tell me they have no wifi 🙂

Regards,

Steve

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Thanks for confirming @stevewx, I'll pass it over to them for you Smiley

If you have backed up your configuration, then yes you should be able to restore this.

Though wouldn't be able to say specifically, usually it will get picked up within 72 working hours.

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
stevewx
Grafter

@LaurenB 

I'll let you know how I get on.  Also assuming it will be a version later than I was using.

I'll also warn the family they may need to read a newspaper!

So far today, 5GHz has been fine, but it tends to do it for a day or so before the router needs a reboot.  (3 times in a week so far.)

Regards,

Steve

NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro

Hi Lauren,

As I said in message 6, I would be happy to have the firmware downgraded.

My 5GHz has been fine yesterday & today so far.

I'm happy to wait until it fails again if that will help you more.

Just keep me informed.

Steve,

Thanks for posting on here. Hopefully we can all work together to get this sorted.

Cheers,

Nige. 

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @NigeBoy

I think waiting until this exhibits issues again is probably a good shout - just let us know when you want to downgrade and we'll go from there.

Best wishes

Dave