Did you mean: 

Hub One locked to PN?

FIXED
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Hub One locked to PN?

They may have been answered , although i can not find it through search .
Is the PN Hub One locked to PN or can it be used with other ISP's ?
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

7 REPLIES 7
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Hub One locked to PN?

As far as I'm aware it should be possible as you can change the broadband username in the router settings.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Pooh
Dabbler

Hi,

I know this topic has been dormant for a while but I've just joined Plusnet and was looking for an answer to the same question and cant find another topic on the same subject.

I'm not convinced the accepted answer is correct:

I've recieved my Hub One and tried to set it up to work on my TalkTalk connection until it transfers to Plusnet.  I tried to change the username but it rejected it with a message saying the user name format was wrong - my TalkTalk user name is formatted thus "xxxxxxxxx@talktalk.net" where xxxxxxxxxx is my full telephone number.

It seems it will only accept user names which are formatted as per Plusnet's format, e.g. "username@plusnet......"

So I think the Hub One is effectively locked to Plusnet but would be delighted if anybody would like to contradict me and expain how to get past the above issue.

Cheers !

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

As far as I know that isn't a Plusnet limitation but is due to the way TalkTalk validate their comnnection

I believe that they look at the phone line and for a compatible router with no requirement to put in a username or password

Pooh
Dabbler

Hi,

I think you've missunderstood me:

The message is from the Plusnet Hub One not TalkTalk.

I am setting the Hub One up without connecting it to my phone line, so TalkTalk arent involved.  I'm just using an ethernet cable from the Hub One to a PC so I can access the Hub One config pages.

When I type in the TalkTalk username and click on "save chnages", it is the Hub One rejecting the TalkTalk username and it is the Hub One generating the message that, as the username is not formatted as per Plusnet usernames, it is rejecting it.  If I type in my Plusnet username that I have already been advised in my joining pack, it will happily save that !

I use a non-TalkTalk router to access my TalkTalk broadband so I have to manually configure it, and it definitely has to have the username entered (and a password) as I detailed.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Fix

AFAIK, it shares the same behaviour as the BT Home Hubs, in that there's a list of accepted 'realms' that are used for validation.

If you try and enter a username that doesn't follow the expected format, then there's a good chance the validation will fail. I expect things like username@plusdsl.net, username@btbroadband.com, username@force9.net, username@plus.net, username@free-online.net etc will work (list not exhaustive), whilst others won't.

Not 100% sure whether or not there's a way to 'hack' around it, but I doubt it unless you install custom firmware (which isn't particularly easy and involves soldering/access to the PCB etc.)

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Pooh
Dabbler

Thanks for that Bob.

As I suspected, this does mean the Hub One is effectively locked to Plusnet for "average" users.

Not a problem for me - I'll just keep using my old router until my switchover to Plusnet.

However, this does mean the accepted solution marked on this thread is wrong - should a suitably qualified user get it changed to Bob's answer ?

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29