cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One issues..

wilsonwinehouse

Hub One issues..

Wonder if anyone can shed some light on this please.. 

I am a new customer, had my connection for around 4 weeks now and i have a Plusnet Hub One,  I am having a few issues with..

Firstly, I have it set with 2 separate networks as such, one for 2.4ghz and one for 5ghz, my speed is 75mbps download. When i run a speed test thats what i get on a wired connection, when i run it on my Ipad, Iphone or Android TV i get the same on the 5ghz but this then drops after a period of time to 30mbps, it happens everyday as well, if i then reboot the router it goes back to 75mbps. I know wireless speed isnt guaranteed but this seems odd that it happens everyday without fail. If i do a speed test on 2.4ghz, i cant get anymore than 35mbps, at any time. Anyone have any ideas why it would drop from 75mbps to 30mbps all of a sudden and do it everyday?

I have changed channels, used smart wireless etc and its always the same.

The second issue i have is noise from the router, if i run a speedtest wirelessly for instance, as soon as the download starts, i get this hissing noise, almost like interference or a snake in my router, happens every time. 

Would anyone think the router needs changing at all?

6 REPLIES 6
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Hub One issues..

Hi wilsonwinehouse, 

Have you set the SSIDs differently for the 2 networks? I'm wondering if these have been set the same that devices are disconnected from one and reconnecting to the other.

The noise is a little concerning, routers do make some audible sounds if you listen closely but is the sound loud enough to hear from a slight distance? (i.e not with your ear very close to the device)

Moderator's note by Adie (Dvorak) tidied up post for readability. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
wilsonwinehouse

I have 2 completely different SSID's, one for 2.4 and one for 5ghz.. at first they were synced and my android TV kept losing connection, i think it was confused do i created separate ones. 

The noise can be heard in the room as soon as a download starts over the 5ghz wifi, i even took a little video and asked some colleagues at work (I work from home using the internet all day) they could hear it too.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Hi @wilsonwinehouse

I would also suggest that unless you are using IPv6, I would disable it on all the devices and the router. IPv6 has been  known to cause issues with Apple devices.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
wilsonwinehouse

Tried that too.. The speed drops everyday on all devices, so I've done something else.

I work from home and have an Apple Time capsule supplied by the company I work for, I've disabled all wireless on the Plusnet router and bridged the time capsule, creating a new wireless network that everything connects to.

This has been running since yesterday and low and behold, no noise and no speed drops, getting 75mbps on wireless every time..
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Smiley Apple Time Capsule £250.00

Angry Plusnet Hub One £6.99 

Wonder why one works better than the other?

Glad you find a solution that works for you.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
wilsonwinehouse

Ha ha ha.. You know that.

It's only ever been used to back my Mac up really, but you're right, for £250 it better bloody work well, and it does 😂