cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One issues with audio streaming?

toweliechaos
Dabbler

Hub One issues with audio streaming?

Apologies if covered elsewhere; my searches have yielded no answers. 

I am having tremendous difficulties with my audio streamers. I have two devices (Cambridge and Ruark) one hard-wired, one wifi. Both try to access the Music shared folder on my nas (synology ds115j) and both exhibit problems. 

Firstly, the wifi ruark is incredibly slow to access the folder and often reports 'network not ready'. When it does get through, it will invariably play the mp3 sub-folder without problem. However, the flac sub-folder is all sorts of fun. It will play OK for 5s, 5m, 30m or 60m and then produce garbled noise and eventually crash the system. No consistency of when this will happen, but that it will happen. 

The Cambridge is different. This will often declare the nas to be [empty]. However, when it does connect to the share, it plays files without problems. From its app, it will often report 'access denied: a message was received from the server'. 

I have made several configuration changes on the nas to try and improve things, without joy. I am at this stage unclear if the problem is with the nas or the router. The video share on the nas plays without fault and this share has the exact same settings as the music one. I don't believe it is the players (they demonstrate no other issues and the ruark has been exchanged to eliminate the hardware). 

The fact that flac is an issue for one would suggest a throughput issue over WiFi, but general inconsistent connection/access would suggest more is at play. 

If anyone has any suggestions on router settings that may help (or even alternative routers), I'll gladly try them! It is so infuriating having no problems with video streaming but all these issues with what should be much easier music streaming. 

1 REPLY 1
toweliechaos
Dabbler

Re: Hub One issues with audio streaming?

I have acquired the port information from ruark (Cambridge being slow about it) and created rules for forwarding. The device appeared in the home network and initially there was a huge improvement. Navigation was much, much faster and flac files played without issue. However, the ruark soon disappeared from the home network wireless devices and consequently the problems all returned. 

MP3 files still play without issue so it seems to be a throughput issue from the router and nothing to do with the nas. Why do wireless devices not show as connected when they are? If it's not recognised as connected, does this mean the port forwarding rules cease to take effect? 

Any input or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.