cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - intermittent slow ping response times through ethernet

sd4664

Hub One - intermittent slow ping response times through ethernet

Since we've been doing Zoom calls through lockdown I've noticed that the screen keeps 'freezing' - this is the same for all devices on the LAN (not using WiFi).  I have connected a P.C directly to the Hub One router via an ethernet cable and measured the ping response times to 192.168.1.254, and generally they are ~2ms, but occasionally it rises to 2 or 3 seconds!  I have a replacement Hub One that I've swapped out and it does the same!  Any suggestions?  If not, can someone suggest a suitable replacement (that will work with fibre to the cabinet).  Many thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
PSWood
Hooked

Re: Hub One - intermittent slow ping response times through ethernet

Has there been any response to this post regarding a fix or possible cause?

I have the same issue when doing a PING to the router Every few seconds it will jump from 1ms up to much higher response times (over 1000ms in many cases) and also get occasional time outs. Pinging other LAN devices at the same time all stay a constant 1ms.

Finding I need to re-boot the router every day to get round poor speed issues.

I have the PlusNet  Hub One router

Thanks

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@PSWood you don't say whether you're connected to the router via wire or Wi-Fi? Your observation is also a bit odd because pings to other devices on the LAN go via your router. If there were any issue between the device you're pinging from and the router, then logically you'd expect the same issue to affect communication between said device and another machine on the network.
Had I seen @sd4664's post a few months back, my first suggestion would have been to try swapping the ethernet cable out.
I'm using a Hub One at the moment and have some local monitoring that's routinely pinging the router. There are no significant fluctuations in latency at all (see attached)

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

PSWood
Hooked

Thanks for your response Bob.

My findings were when I was doing PINGs over a LAN. Some of the other devices are connected directly to a separate network switch and one (my server) is connected directly to another port on the Router. Regardless of where the device are plugged in, it was only the Router that had the intermittent blips.

I have since re done the test over wifi and I get intermittent blips on all devices (again mixture of switch and router connected). All blips are shown at exactly the same time.

I have tried changing network cables and also plugging switch into a different port.

Regards

Perry

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the detail.

Devices connected to the same switch wouldn't necessarily go via the router.

It would be interesting to see if the behaviour is the same when pinging something out on the Internet e.g. pingbox1.thinkbroadband.com

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

PSWood
Hooked

Thanks Bob,

I've done some more testing as suggested and hopefully the following will help....

At the same time I sent pings to

pingbox1.thinkbroadband.com

bbc.co.uk

192.168.1.254 (Hub One router)

192.168.1.121 (device plugged in to Hub One)

Over LAN

pingbox1.thinkbroadband.com - average 12/13ms with spikes about every minute up to 500ms

bbc.co.uk - average 12/13ms with spikes about every minute up to 500ms

192.168.1.254 - average 1/2ms with spikes about every minute up to 500ms

192.168.1.121 - stayed constant =1ms or <1ms

Over Wireless

pingbox1.thinkbroadband.com - average 15/16ms with regular spikes up to 500ms

bbc.co.uk - average 15/16ms with regular spikes up to 500ms

192.168.1.254 - average 3/5ms with regular spikes up to 500ms

192.168.1.121 - average 2/5ms with regular spikes up to 500ms

Hope this helps

Perry

sd4664

My solution in the end was to replace the Hub One with a BT smart hub from ebay - it's been working really well ever since.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@PSWood you mention rebooting in an earlier post. Does that clear the problem for a period of time?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

PSWood
Hooked

Thanks @sd4664

I'm thinking this will be best option and have been looking at getting something as a replacement to the Hub One.

I did ask Plusnet support a few weeks ago about any better routers Plusnet do but he was not aware of any currently available Sad

Regards

Perry

PSWood
Hooked

Hi @bobpullen 

It doesn't clear the spike in the pinging issue but rebooting the router helps with poor performance of internet related activity. I'm finding I need to re-boot about every other day.

Worth noting that when I do see these spikes, more often than not, I get the spike on the pings to the two external websites and my Hub One router at the same time. Never on the other internal network device.

Regards

Perry