Did you mean: 

Hub One firmware update now no 5ghz connection

FIXED
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Re: Hub One firmware update now no 5ghz connection

Hi @Kimble1981, the request should be picked up within the next few days, let us know how you get on.

Hi @DS, I think @Jubby has advised he doesn't believe the firmware is the cause of the issue as not every customer on this version is experiencing this (it's only a very small number reporting issues in comparison to how many are actually on it).  Although he doesn't believe it to be the cause, he has still requested the rollback and is not ruling out the possibility of it causing the issue.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

The software release might not be the cause for the OP

(and I really hope it isn't)

But the symptoms do, imho, point to the software being the cause in this case

(though I offered the choice of disabling the 5GHz as a possible (short term) solution)

Also if turning off the 5GHz 'cured' the issue, we could conclude the 5GHz was at fault

(it, 5GHz, was working fine until the software was updated)

We're currently investigating the possibility that some routers with firmware 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 could potentially be having some WiFi issues.

How's it going? Still not been able to replicate this? Can I put either of my PNH1's back into service? ALL of my devices had wifi related issues that were not there before the update, why?

We can roll back the build for you if you just want done or you can try and assist us in resolving the problem for yourself and others.

I offered, plus even did some detailed testing on your behalf, then >       < (nothing)

(I had to take the decision to swap to a H6 and would you believe it, it worked and has continued to do so).

I've passed this on to our product team and have asked them to have the firmware rolled back.

Is there still a backlog?

I'm not personally convinced that this is the route cause of the issue

All I'm saying is some of us have had issues, I have given all the info needed (bar one snippet that nobody else has mentioned, so kept quiet). Yes some I've assisted found their issues went away, thus they were not part of the 'lucky' few. But some, myself included, continued to have issues that were not there before.

As far as I'm aware we haven't had any other examples where the 5GHz frequency band has stopped connecting since upgrading to firmware version: 4.7.5.1.83.8.263.

The above was my push to reply. You've only got to look around the forums, there are a few users all reporting issues with the wifi since the update.

(plus one staff member has already suggested it is under investigation, but some have never heard about this issue - I know my details made it on to your office white board, just saying;))

also I have seen other posts regarding this issue and it all occurred when upgraded and a roll back seemed to fix the person's issue.

Clearly @Kimble1981 has done some research, hence going straight to a downgrade request.

I'm putting one of my H1's back online soon, more so to see if either have fixed themselves......:)

(I have not had any wifi issues with my H6, if the H1 is working it should be a seamless transition)

(it's only a very small number reporting issues in comparison to how many are actually on it)

Yes, there are a few forum users seeing the same, how's about the call centre, any more reporting it via that channel?

Although he doesn't believe it to be the cause, he has still requested the rollback and is not ruling out the possibility of it causing the issue.

As I said, not only on here but many other threads, I really hope it isn't an issue with certain routers on a certain software release. I get there are only a few users, but a few is still too many....!!

(nowt personal and love always :))

Kimble1981
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Hello @ LaurenB, Any updates on my request for firmware roll back? Many thanks
DS
Seasoned Champion

Hmm, so that confirms that two users have not had a downgrade Huh

The other user has been posting here

(see the reply directly below that linked post)

Does this mean the Products Team (they sort the downgrades out) still have not been able to replicate this?

I can see the sense in not downgrading those whom have offered to work with plusnet on this, but from my own experience it was a one way journey.

I'm so confused about all of this.

Kimble1981
Dabbler

Hello @LaurenB, do you have any updates for me?? How long is it going to take to roll back my firmware. Wouldn't have thought it would take the department more than 30 mins to an hour once request received.
Thanks in advance for the response
Kimble1981
Dabbler

Am I going to receive any updates?? Everyone knows what the problem is, just roll back the firmware - really not difficult!

At this rate I think I will change my provider!  

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @Kimble1981, I'm sorry to hear you are yet to receive the router firmware rollback. I'm afraid although it was advised as a solution previously we wouldn't advise in rolling back your firmware from the current .263 version. The questions we have passed to customers who are seeing issues with the latest firmware solely advise if it would be OK if the firmware was ultimately downgraded as part of this investigation. Currently however the .263 firmware issues are still being investigated and we'd advise if the 5GHz is causing connection issues to potentially look at disabling this frequency until we finish the investigation and advise of the best course of action from there. This would still leave the standard 2.4GHz frequency available and from my understanding customers with the latest firmware aren't experiencing issues there.
Rolling back your firmware at this point would I believe only cause you further wireless issues as the previous firmware to this latest is linked with wireless related problems and to do so would only trade in the issue you are experiencing for a potential worse issue. As advised, disabling the 5GHz is the current work around and something I'd recommend you do moving forwards whilst we continue to investigate the issue.

Kimble1981
Dabbler

Hi @BD

Can you please roll back my firmware and I'll let you know if there are any issues!!
Kimble1981
Dabbler

Fix
@DS thanks for your help regarding my issue, I have received the roll back and the 5Ghz is now connecting.
DS
Seasoned Champion

Well, who'd of thought rolling the software back would restore the wifi Lips_are_sealed

I am glad to hear you have working wifi again Smiley

(from my own experience, it was a rather frustrating issue)

I may swap my H6 for one of my H1's, or then again maybe I won't! Cheesy

Just to point something out BD, the downgrade takes the software right back to 237.2.2, not the previous (date wise) version. The last 2 previous (date wise) variants were 259 and 259.1.1. Yes 259, based on my own testing, highlighted an issue on 5GHz - that being it wouldn't connect from the get go*, whereas 263 (for me) permitted 5GHz connections and would then boot them off the router, but I also had issues as mentioned elsewhere. I'd thought I'd mention the downgraded software as others are bound to question this;)

*I say get go, but the router was set not as per the default settings and when I first joined PN we didn't use the 5GHz as it couldn't reach the areas where we wanted it most.

NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

So, just to confirm the level of incompetence we are dealing with now from Plusnet on this issue, this is the response I got today on the ticket for my formal complaint :-

"

Thank you for getting back in touch with us.

So we can get to the bottom of the issue please confirm or describe the wiFi connection-you are experiencing.

Please also follow the bellow instructions so you can confirm what firmware you are currently on. 

1. Open Internet Explorer or your browser of choice, delete the contents of the address bar, and enter http://192.168.1.254/

2. When you press "Enter" or "Return", you will see a page with information about your connection, click "Home" at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password.

3. Once signed in please check right at the bottom of the page on the bottom right hand side you will see the plusnet Logo to the left of that you will see "plusnet Hub one : Software version and the code.

Please get back in touch with this code of numbers and dots so we can investigate. 

I have checked this further and our products team are not downgrading firmware as part of a fix.

We hope that this helps but if there is anything else we can help you with please let us know. You can log into your account by visiting your Member Centre and contact us online from there or alternatively our contact number is 0800 432 0200.

"

I will bite my tongue rather than saying anything else here.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Duplicate post released from Spam Filter and removed.

riccardo2
Grafter

I've found this post searching for problems with 5GHz on the Hub One. I've got such problem too.

The router has been OK for many months (let's say years), then 5GHz started to have problem. Even at 30cm from the router, any kind of device is unable to connect to 5GHz. Any device (computers/tablets/smartphones) try to negotiate the connection for around 10s then give up and go with the 2.4.

I've seen that turning the router off and on again (the law of IT crowd telefilm 🙂 ), makes it work again, but unfortunately problems come back after a while (I can't say how long).

In other words, it's not safe to use the 5GHz for something important (e.g. security cams), but at least for temporary use, in my case an off/on can fix the problem giving some hours of a working 5GHz.

Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 Last updated 28/02/19

SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

I was told I should upgrade to this version because I was on an old (stable) version and my router was on the ceased list, but CS wanted me to upgrade to rule out firmware issues related to completely random line drops.

No-one told me that it potentially would break my 5GHz connections.

Also when connected to the 2GHz connection my phone keeps telling me I'm connected to at BT hotspot and need to sign in. I'm not sure if this is significant but if I turn off the 5GHz wifi it stops doing it.

SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

So should I assume from the silence that basically I'm stuck with a broken 5GHz wireless?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi @SteveA 

I'm sorry that this isn't resolved yet, we are still investigating internally and working to fix this as soon as we can. Unfortunately I'm unable to advise on a timeframe when it will be sorted. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet