Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One firmware update now no 5ghz connection

FIXED
Kimble1981
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Hub One firmware update now no 5ghz connection

I have been trying to connect to my 5ghz connection for a while and each time my devices cannot connect. This was working fine until the 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 update on the 25/03/19. I have restarted my router and reset the router. I've tried changing my 5ghz password and get the same results. Could you please roll my router back to the previous firmware as I had no problems until the update. Many thanks
35 REPLIES 35
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Hub One firmware update now no 5ghz connection

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Welcome to the forums Smiley

Depending on the software version you had previously, there's a good chance it won't be 'your' previous version. To my knowledge, these were the previous versions

Plusnet appear to be downgrading the software to 4.7.5.1.83.8.237.2.2

But note, if yours was running 237.2.2 and if you made a backup of the settings then it should restore. However during the downgrade process any user made changes will be erased and if your previous version was 259 or 259.1.1 or you didn't backup the settings until .263, then chances are yours will revert to 237.2.2, whereby restoring the config file will not work.

Just thought I'd point that out.

(Hopefully a member of staff will see this and get the ball rolling, though I'd guess to say the bank holiday will add a slight delay in getting this process started)

Jaysus1954

Ridiculous got on here to ask why it seems impossible to cancel mobile contract and cannot find any logical way to ask and notice that others have similar issues

DS
Seasoned Champion

@Jaysus1954 

Click the following and select start a topic - https://community.plus.net/t5/Mobile/bd-p/Mobile

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Hi @Kimble1981,

We're currently investigating the possibility that some routers with firmware 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 could potentially be having some WiFi issues. We can roll back the build for you if you just want done or you can try and assist us in resolving the problem for yourself and others. If you'd like to be part of this if you can answer all the questions below in as much detail as possible we can pass it on to the products team for investigation (some of the questions you may have answered in your OP but I'm putting them all down in their entirety) :

1. Exactly how does the problem masquerade itself, what are the symptoms?

2. When did the problem start?

3. Firmware version and when was it last updated?

4. What devices do you have on your network and how are they connected, eg. wired or wireless?

5. How is your network configured i.e. any Powerline adapters, additional switches, attached storage or or wi-fi access points in use?

6. What devices does the problem affect and what software/firmware versions are they running (if known)? This will help us try and replicate the issue in a lab environment.

7. Are the 2.4GHz/5GHz radios separated or merged (they're merged by default). If separated, which radio is affected (or is it both)?

8. Have you factory reset the router?

9. Would you be willing to downgrade firmware if we need to in order to help diagnose the issue. Bear in mind this will wipe all of the settings back to factory defaults, and we may need to upgrade/downgrade a second time to further prove that it's the firmware that's the cause of the issue.

10. Would you be willing to facilitate a home visit so that hardware engineers can carry out further diagnosis of the problem? (note that any visit would be to capture further wi-fi diagnostics, and not to necessarily 'fix' anything).

Kimble1981
Dabbler

Hi. I would like to have the firmware rolled back please. I will also be happy to answer the questions although I'm not that tech savy 😊.

The problem is that every time I connect using 5Ghz my devices fail to connect to the Internet even though the signal is strong, but it states that there is no Internet connection.

I noticed the problem about mid April, the rest of the time it had been working fine, no problems at all.

Devices I have connected are PS4's, Xbox One, Sky Q box, laptop, mobile phones, tablets. Apart from the Sky box they are all wireless.

The Sky Q box has a powerline adapter, but this has been working for a year with no problems.

My PS4's, Xbox One and Mobile device were connecting via 5Ghz.

My 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz have different SSID but the same password, did this mean they are merged, even though I would select the one I wanted?

I haven't factory reset the router. I've never changed any settings on the router, so if I did this, would anything need to be backed up?Huh

I'm willing to downgrade, again is there anything on my end that I'd have to do once this has happened or can I reconnect as normal?

I prefer not to have a home visit.

Hope this helps, sorry about the lack of technical information.
Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @Kimble1981

Thank you for getting in touch with the relevant information. I've passed this on to our product team and have asked them to have the firmware rolled back. Thank you for your patience.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
DS
Seasoned Champion

@Kimble1981 wrote: snipped
The problem is that every time I connect using 5Ghz my devices fail to connect to the Internet even though the signal is strong, but it states that there is no Internet connection.

I haven't factory reset the router. I've never changed any settings on the router, so if I did this, would anything need to be backed up?Huh

I'm willing to downgrade, again is there anything on my end that I'd have to do once this has happened or can I reconnect as normal?

The 5GHz part of the router connects the device to the router at a faster speed (not necessarily to the www) but the 2.4GHz part has better range (so the further away from the router the better the connection is to the router).

No, if you make any changes you don't need to backup the settings. Backing up the settings just speeds up the process of restoring the settings should you reset the router (or more recently have a router software downgrade). Software upgrades don't alter any user made changes.

After the downgrade you wouldn't need to do anything but only if the router is in it's default configuration. So if you haven't changed the wifi SSID then it'll be fine. If you have changed it to (eg) Kimble-2.4GHz and Kimble-5.0GHz then they'd bother reverted to Plusnet-ABCD.

But there is a simple workaround that you could do whilst you're waiting for the software downgrade.....

Grab the card on the back of the router, for the admin password

Then click the following http://192.168.1.254/index.cgi?active_page=9105

On the wireless network enable, instead of the default of yes, select no and click apply

(ignore the warning messages, it's normal)

This will turn off the 5GHz and put a red light on the router, ignore this or put tape over it.

Your devices should then maintain a wifi connection to the 2.4GHz SSID without any issues and once the downgrade has taken place, you'd know visually as the red wifi light on the router will have gone out (as the downgrade restores the factory router settings).

(you don't need to turn it off, but it'll 'fix' the wifi dropout in the short term and for the visual reminder)

Kimble1981
Dabbler

Hello @Beyhive, do you have a timescale of when I can expect the firmware to be rolled back? Many thanks
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @Kimble1981.

It's usually just a couple of days but can sometimes take up to 5 working  days for our request to be actioned.

We'll notify you via ticket as soon as it's done.

Kimble1981
Dabbler

Hello, just after an update. Has my firmware been rolled back yet? Thanks in advance
Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @Kimble1981,

After checking our Products Team board, I'm afraid that I can't find your account on there. It's likely that @Beyhive has emailed them directly but he is out of office at the moment so I'm unable to confirm if this is the case. However, I have have added your account to the Products Team board to ensure it is picked up and downgraded. Once the downgrade is complete, you will see a different version in the helpdesk section of the router.

I'm not personally convinced that this is the route cause of the issue. As far as I'm aware we haven't had any other examples where the 5GHz frequency band has stopped connecting since upgrading to firmware version: 4.7.5.1.83.8.263. As you have made no changes to the router settings it's unnecessary to back up the router configuration, could you please try factory resetting the router by holding a pin or paper clip in the reset hole until the front light goes green then allow up to 15 minutes for the service to reconnect. This is a diagnostic that should be attempted before making any changes to the firmware version and once complete, try reconnecting to the 5GHz frequency band.

Just a heads up, if your PS4 isn't the pro version, it does not have a 5GHz compatible network interface card.

Let us know how you get on.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
Kimble1981
Dabbler

Hi @Jubby, thanks for your response. I have already reset the router and this did not rectify the fault, also I have seen other posts regarding this issue and it all occurred when upgraded and a roll back seemed to fix the person's issue.
So, looking forward to having my firmware rolled back so I can access the 5Ghz frequency again.
Thanks
DS
Seasoned Champion

@Jubby wrote: snipped

I'm not personally convinced that this is the route cause of the issue. As far as I'm aware we haven't had any other examples where the 5GHz frequency band has stopped connecting since upgrading to firmware version: 4.7.5.1.83.8.263.

I'm not saying too much here, but stick these into google

4.7.5.1.83.8.263 site:community.plus.net

4.7.5.1.83.8.264 site:community.bt.com

Some of those results (I'm on the plusnet site btw) do appear to be related to the 5GHz failing since the software was updated.

(The BT Home Hub 5 and the Plusnet Hub One are twins, though not identical)

Those whom had a downgrade do appear to no longer have issues with the 5GHz.