cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One died

FIXED
lyegrove

Hub One died

Good afternoon. Just has a really useful morning with Plusnet support diagnosing an issue that developed overnight with a Hub One. The router has a fault and needs replaced but even though I'm only halfway through my new contract apparently the warranty ended at end of my first year (Oct 19) and I wasn't given a new router when I renewed last year.  Anyone know of the likely cost of this or should I pull the plug on this contract and start a new one?  Thanks in advance, home working so it's pretty important to resolve asap

7 REPLIES 7
wakeman
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Hub One died

@lyegrove 

I would not accept that from PlusNet, they should know the law regarding sale/supply of goods. regardless of any warranty, the law says the goods must be replaced if you can expect the device to normally be fit for purpose longer. This can be several years. Since its gone fault and PlusNet seem to accept that they should supply a replacement for the faulty item.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@lyegrove 

A Plusnet staffer might come along and offer you a freebie. This might be tied in with you needing to take out a new contract. If you cancel now you will be hit with cancellation charges.

If you buy a new one from Plusnet they charge £99. They are not worth a quarter of this outragegeous price. Instead go onto Ebay or another auction site and buy a BT Smarthub 6 for arount £20. They are far better devices used by many of us. Setting instructions are here: https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

lyegrove

Thanks, comments  much appreciated. I can't believe these are built down to a standard whereby they fail in 18 months. I had the same BT hub for over five years and should have kept it when I switched provider. At £99 I'd be better off being penalized for ending contract early and going elsewhere!

Baldrick1

@wakeman wrote:

@lyegrove 

...  the law says the goods must be replaced if you can expect the device to normally be fit for purpose longer.

If you get all legal about these things don't you need to prove to the reseller that the fault was due to an inherent flaw and not some other issue by getting an independant professional to produce a report?

Moderator and Customer

Baldrick1

@lyegrove 

They are not designed to just last 18 months. There must be hundreds of thousands in use and plenty of complaints that they are noisy and have flaky wireless performance but not many of a total failure. You have been unlucky.

If you still have a BT hub then you can use that.

You might also be interested to know that underneath the case the innards are in fact a BT Home Hub model 5A with Plusnet firmware.

Moderator and Customer

Tibzor
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 25

Fix

Hi @lyegrove 

Sorry to hear about problems with router. I can see that based on tickets on your account you are currently online as you've managed to connect by using your old BT router.

I have arrange replacement of Hub One to be sent to you. It will be delivered by Royal Mail 1st class so hopefully you will receive it by end of this week.

lyegrove

Thank you for such a rapid response. As said, we're working from home (as I imagine are most of you) and the problem this morning wasn't a welcome surprise.  Thanks also to Lidia D of Plusnet who was remarkably patient with my early morning call of woe!!