cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One create static routes or add RIP?

basismonkey

Hub One create static routes or add RIP?

I've just upgraded from an ancient DG834 to a shiny new Hub One on the promise of all the wonderful things "fibre" broadband will do for us. The DG834 support both RIP and static routes which let me put an additional proxy/router between the internet and the kids and have  a separate controlled network for geek stuff. It's been working so well for so long it took me half the evening to work out why it all stopped for anything that wasn't directly connected to the Hub One.

From the internal router itself I can ping the Hub One and out to the internet since it's on the same network at the Hub One, but anything connected to the inside of the internal route cannot reach the Hub One or anything else.

I can't find anything about setting up static routes or turning on RIP on the Hub One.  Am I being particularly blind / missing something else fundamental or is this considered too advanced and I need to find a different box of blinkenlights before the upgrade completes?

Oook.

6 REPLIES 6
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Hub One create static routes or add RIP?

@basismonkey

Welcome to the forums.

As the Hub One is the same as the BT Home Hub 5 Type A (just in a different case and minus the FON software), you would probably be better off googling "static routes bt home hub 5" to find the answers.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
kentrolfe893

Hi,

Did you ever get to the bottom of this , specifically the static route part ? 

I need to set up a static route as well from a different subnet.

I looked up info on HH5 and it seems to say that its different and that Hub One doesn't have static route ability.

Thanks in advance  for any pointers - links you might be able to pass my way.

basismonkey

I found two solutions:

1. Load ddwrt/openwrt/tomatowart or some other alternative firmware. You'll have a lot of fun, learn loads and lose several good drinking nights getting them working.

2. Buy a different router and keep the HubOne as an emergency backup or free standalone 2.4/5GHz wifi router

I took the second option and went with a Draytek 2860 on the basis that it has more capabilities than I'll ever need, supports multiple subnets (with a few quirks around DNS cache), and untill PN get their act together with IPv6 it supports tunnelling via Hurricane Electric (who really needs a /48 for a home lab? Don't ask me, but they're free so why not?).

I've no idea why they crippled the HubOne so badly. It's not like they're offering a pro version of the router and other brands can make them easy to set up and still offer static routes and RIP.

You really need to know what you're doing to configure the Draytek properly and you can quite easily mess it up resulting in an irate missus and [-Censored-]ed-off kids. But then I have been playing with a VMWare host, iptables, Quagga, RADvd while trying not to get in the way of iPlayer and candy crush. As if I don't get enough of that [-Censored-] at work....

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Avoidance of swear filter edited as per Forum rules.

basismonkey

Good grief. You get a censored inserted for papa indigo sierra sierra?  Wow. Just wow...

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

@basismonkey

It isn't cheap but I'll give another vote for the Draytek 2860 approach.

If cost is important then a cheap Draytek 2820 and Openreach modem from eBay (I guess less than £50 a pair) also works well and will give you sufficient functionality for your application. As a bonus, when you decide to buy the 2860 you can use the 2820 config as a basis for a 2860 setup.

I am the satisfied customer....
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Another Draytek convert here! I got a 2830 for £20 on gumtree. When I upgraded to fibre I did consider a BT modem but instead went for a tplink 9970 for £30 and use it in bridge mode in front of the 2830. I did get a PN hub one for use as a spare though...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.