cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One crashing/rebooting with internal network file transfers

deejayone

Hub One crashing/rebooting with internal network file transfers

I have a NAS drive for storage and backup purposes attached to my Hub One router. Previously this hasn't been a problem but this last weekend I seem to have developed a problem.

My Macbook backs up using Time Machine to the NAS drive. Recently I've been doing a lot of video editing so my Mac backup sizes have increased somewhat with the video files being added. However, over the course of this weekend the backup process will start and after a while simply fail with the Hub One router seemingly crashing and restarting itself (thus losing connection).

This has become routine - backup starts, gets so far then Hub One resets and the backup fails. I'm starting to worry with all the reboots this will affect my Plusnet profile and speeds if the system thinks there's a constant problem.

To test this, I've tried manually moving large amounts of files across the network to the NAS from my Mac and the same thing happens - the router crashes/restarts and the transfer fails.

Is this a known issue (can't see why, I've had no problems with transferring/backing up over the network previously) or is my Hub One developing a fault? I first assumed it may be overheating or something so have even moved it to a more ventilated area and had a fan on it to keep it cool whilst initiating the transfer and that hasn't helped - like clockwork it just cuts off and reboots with any large file transfer on the internal network!

(Note: downloading/uploading large files from the internet/cloud backup is fine - it seems to just be internal network traffic that causes the issue).

Do I need a replacement router?

3 REPLIES 3
JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Re: Hub One crashing/rebooting with internal network file transfers

Hi @deejayone

It does look like it's causing the connection to drop, I think the replacing the router is the first option (it's a good few years old now by the looks of it), so I've popped one in the post for you, I think this might resolve the problem. 

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@deejayone, what firmware version is the Hub running? It should tell you in the footer of the admin pages at http://192.168.1.254

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

deejayone

Thanks for the replies - I’m just out at the moment so can’t check the firmware at the moment. Will try later.

I’ve borrowed a BT Hub 6 this afternoon to try and diagnose further - the transfers seem to be stable and going ok so far without any shutdown, but alas the internet now seems slow. Typical! Smiley

Will try this setup a little more to see how things go.

Is it worth getting a BT Hub 6 permanently? Seems to be well regarded for a budget router.