cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One configuration

Auric
Grafter

Hub One configuration

I’d like to further my understanding of network set-up. I’m puzzled by some of the settings on my Hub One.

In Hub One > Advanced Settings > Broadband > Internet

What are the functions / purposes of the “Broadband network IP address”, and “Default gateway” address? Both these addresses seem to be static.

My Hub One Gateway address is the default setting of 192.168.1.254, which is not the same as that of the “Default gateway”.

In Hub One > Advanced Settings > Home Network > IPv6 Configuration

Why is ULA enabled as “default” when it is unlikely that a Hub One is used in enterprise level extensive private networks?

6 REPLIES 6
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Hub One configuration

Welcome to the forums, @Auric 

In simple terms, the 'Gateway' address is the one used to access the internal settings of the Hub, and the 192.168.1.254 is a 'standard' across all modem/routers, although some manufacturers alternatively use '.1' in place of '.254'.

The 'Broadband Network IP Address' is one of a range allocated to Plusnet, and is static because that is the route set by the configuration decided by the automatic setup system on first initiation - if it was dynamic, you would be continually losing connection as it changed.

No idea about the ULA - I don't have a Hub1, so don't know what that is, but as  Plusnet (at the moment) don't use IPV6, I think it is irrelevant.

If I am wrong about any of this, I'm sure one of the more experienced networking members on here will correct me.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@jab1  you're close , but there are 2 'gateways' to consider. The one you refer to is the one for the internal LAN. That is the IP address to which all off-network ( non 192.168.1.x ) traffic must be sent to be routed out to the WAN.  That will be the lan address of the router.

Now the router makes a PPPoE connection to the Plusnet network and is allocated a public ip address and a gateway address. When sending traffic from the LAN  to the internet, the router inserts its public IP in the source address ( using NAT ) and then sends the traffic to the gateway addressn  down the PPPoE link so that it is routed out to the Internet.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Thanks for the info, @MisterW , I live and learn - although I should probably have been a bit clearer in my original post, because that is kind of what I meant. 😀

John
Auric
Grafter

@jab1. Thank you for your welcome and input.

@MisterW. Thanks for the added clarification.

“Broadband network IP address” & “Default gateway”

I now understand to be communicated to my Hub One router by Plusnet servers during PPPoE authentication. These are not user configurable settings.

Out of curiosity I Ping’ed both to see the turnaround time. No reply from “Broadband network IP address”, so I conclude that this is not an active node, just an address. The Plusnet “Default gateway” replied with a turnaround time of 12 msec, telling me that it is a remote node.

The CLI command, route print -4, responds with an IPv4 Route Table confirming that my device's local gateway to the network is 192.168.1.254; an address which is user configurable.

My, albeit, simplistic understanding of ULA (IPv6 Unique Local Addresses) is that they allow an enterprise network manager to assign addresses to internal nodes and have no concern that they might duplicate a Global Unicast Address; a ULA is scoped locally.

My question was; why would the Plusnet Hub One, which is not an enterprise level router, enable ULA by default; indeed on the router menu page the “Yes” checkbox is labelled “Recommended”?

All the more a puzzle as jab1 informs that Plusnet do not support IPv6!

Again thanks for your replies.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

No reply from “Broadband network IP address”, so I conclude that this is not an active node, just an address.

The broadband IP address is the IP allocated to your connection i.e the address to which incoming traffic is directed. Whether it is pingable will depend on whether your router supports 'loopback' i.e the router knows what your public IP is and so loops back any outgoing traffic directed at it , and also whether your router responds to pings on its WAN (AFAIK the Hub one doesn't! do either)

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Auric
Grafter

@MisterW. Thanks explaining why ping’ing the “Broadband network IP address” did not return a reply.

What is the scope of the “Broadband network IP address”; is it global/www, Plusnet, or just the “Default gateway”?

How many users does Plusnet typically service on a single gateway?

Do you know of any on-line training resources that I can access to learn more?