cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One buzzing/hissing noise

JEM7

Hub One buzzing/hissing noise

Hi,

I've recently upgraded to fibre broadband and have been very pleased. About a week ago though I noticed that the router is making a buzzing/hissing sound when streaming to the TV. I'm sat about a metre and a half from the router and can hear the noise over the TV. I've read other similar posts and am wondering if I have a faulty router too, and whether it'd be possible to exchange for a replacement?

13 REPLIES 13
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Hub One buzzing/hissing noise

Have you read this recent thread? It appears that Plusnet are washing their hands of this problem. Do you happen to have another router, you may be able to use that instead?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

JEM7

Thanks Baldrick1. Not a faulty router as such then, but a faulty design.... So I either live with the buzzing noise, which is quite distracting, disable 5Ghz or spend more money on a dual band router which is designed better. Shame, I'd rather Plusnet had charged a bit for the router and provided a better quality one. Going to struggle to recommend Plusnet fibre to friends and family unless they too want to fork out for another router.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your router and thanks for the feedback.

Unfortunately at the moment there's not much more we can advise apart from switching the 5GHz frequency off if the noise you're hearing is too distracting, or buying a 3rd party router I'm afraid.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
josemaria
Dabbler

I am having the same issue, my router sounds loud enough to be noticeable when using 5Ghz WiFi.

Performance seems OK but it is distracting.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, it might be worth trying what Anoush has mentioned in the previous response. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
josemaria
Dabbler

Nice joke Wink 2.4Ghz is far from being able to cope with a 80Mbps broadband so that is kind of a downgrade, however,  I guess you could suggest switching to cable to fix that, shame smartphones do not come with Ethernet ports.

Never mind, at the end it is just a noise and the performance seems fine.

Just a question in the lines of using another router, and I know the router is really cheap as one pays only the post, is it optional? could I have asked not to have it?

Baldrick1

Get a Smarthub 6. See https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Hub-One-Buzzing-Fizzing-Noise/m-p/1608568#M89149

Moderator and Customer

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @josemaria,

I'm sorry that the suggested resolution isn't suitable for you, as it would require disabling the 5GHz wireless frequency, and for any inconvenience that the noise from the router is causing.

I can confirm that when customers sign up they are given the option not to take a router from us and save on the p&p.

If you're thinking of using a third party router with your fibre broadband, this'll need to be a VDSL compatible router and not locked to another provider.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
JEM7

I've always been pleased with the routers Plusnet have provided and so I guess I am surprised and disappointed that the router provided this time isn't up to par, especially given that it clearly is possible to make a router without this issue at a reasonable cost (eg the BT smart hub 6 - thanks Baldrick1 for the suggestion) and, looking at the other threads, this has been a known issue since the beginning of 2017, if not earlier. Telling customers to disable a feature on the routers should surely be a temporary fix whilst the design of the router is improved not a long-term measure. Whilst you say the router is optional, I actually don't remember being given the option of not receiving one, which I may have done if the person dealing with me had said 'oh, by the way the hub one makes a fairly loud hissing noise that you'll be able to hear from a couple of metres away over a tv, which you'll only be able to stop by disabling the 5Ghz broadband, and we don't plan on the fixing the issue any time soon'.

josemaria
Dabbler

Wow, I did not want to make more noise about this but you basically read my mind and wrote it down Shocked Thanks.

You totally absolutely nailed with this: "oh, by the way the hub one makes a fairly loud hissing noise that you'll be able to hear from a couple of metres away over a tv, which you'll only be able to stop by disabling the 5Ghz broadband, and we don't plan on the fixing the issue any time soon'

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @JEM7 & @josemaria,

We have raised this issue with the manufacturer in the past and they have advised that the noise is within acceptable limits.

This issue is also not effecting every unit therefore, we would not advise that this is going to be the case when you purchase our hardware. It is also not effecting the functionality of the equipment.

I agree that we may not have offered the router on sign up, I can only presume that when signing up over the phone rather than online new customers tend to make us aware they don't need the router if they have one. I'm also certain this is a tick box option when signing up online.

Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
Baldrick1

@Jubby wrote:

Hi @JEM7 & @josemaria,

We have raised this issue with the manufacturer in the past and they have advised that the noise is within acceptable limits.

Acceptable to whom? Clearly not your customers!

Moderator and Customer

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

To be transparent, we are still pushing this issue with the vendor. I have no time-frame for when/if we'll ever see a 'fix' though Undecided

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵