cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One as access point

alsmart

Hub One as access point

I've recently received a Hub One and am currently using it as a second access point to my network. The fibre comes into a BT modem and TP Link Archer C9 as the main router. The Hub One is connected by ethernet.

The 2 issues I am having are as follows:-

1. Flashing Red "b", which will only go out if an active source is plugged into the WAN socket. I discovered this by accident when setting up the router, but it will not work in this mode - you have to use the LAN connections. Has anyone found a more scientific solution other then taping over the offending LED, please?

2. I was please to find that the 5 GHz channels extend beyond 48, but when one of these is selected the router will switch channels and re-set the 5G status to automatic (supposedly when radar is detected). Fine in principle, but one such event landed the router on the same channel as the TP link. Is there any way to fix a channel between 48 and 100, please? I'm trying to avoid the 100+ channels as they transmit on a higher power.

3 REPLIES 3
Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: Hub One as access point

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): This thread is now in the appropriate board.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Welcome to the forum.

The Plusnet Hub One is a BTHome Hub 5A with a different coloured case and tweeked firmware. Unfortunately by design it's locked down to make it as idiot proof as possible. 

Consequently I fear that you are stuck with the flashing light and restricted 5GHz set of bands unless you feel like modifying the hardware prior to reflashing the firmware, see: http://www.instructables.com/id/BT-HomeHub-5A-Router-UART-Access-Hack/

Edit

See also: https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Running-OpenWRT-on-the-Plusnet-Hub-One...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

alsmart

Thanks for the reply Baldrick1. Shame about the solution, as the router sits quite well behind the TV in the lounge and is reasonable to look at.

I think I will keep the Hub One as a spare, and re-install the Netgear one I was originally using as the second router. I've discovered that the Netgear one is more easily flashed with dd-wrt firmware, and hopefully, will then allow greater access to channels above 48.