cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One and USB printer

richardm111
Dabbler

Hub One and USB printer

I believe a USB printer can be attached to the port in the back of the Hub One for printing. However I am unable to get it to work or even see the device. Any ideas or is this impossible? The printer works if attached to the laptop, but then does not work when plugged into the Hub One. The Hub One states that no USB device is connected even when it is.

The printer is a Brother HL-1450 - I have the latest drivers which seem to be from 2014

I am using Apple OS 10.11.6 on a 1 year old MacBook laptop (but also use other things such as iPhones and iPads)

I have Safari 10 (and other browsers).

8 REPLIES 8
trevorlawson

Re: Hub One and USB printer

Same problem here, using a Canon MP560 printer. Any advice welcomed.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

The Hub One is really a BT Home Hub 5 so you maybe better off looking at the BT community forums.

But the official BT answer is, USB printers don't work on the HH5 http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/43708/c/346.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

From the hub's help pages

Compatible USB devices

Your Plusnet Hub isn't guaranteed to work with all type of USB devices on the market. Mass storage devices are supported, but most other devices like USB network printers or cameras are not supported.

trevorlawson

most other devices like USB network printers or cameras are not supported

Well, that's frustrating but thanks for the answer Browni. So essentially the USB port only supports FAT-formatted storage drives. 

There are many other routers online that I could buy, with both USB 2 and 3 ports. But if the deciding factor is the support for the port, rather than the port itself, it is worth buying another do you think?

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Only you can decide if it's worthwhile getting another router but I noticed in another thread you have a USB 3.0 drive for backup purposes so if connecting that centrally is important you really should be looking at something with USB 3.x compatibility.

Personally I've went down the NAS route for backups making use of the gigabit switch in the Hub One.

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

@richardm111

I do have a network printer (the Brother HL-L2360DN) which I am extremely pleased with and that prints from everything (iPads, Android tablets, Mac laptops and a range of Windows devices) but I have also got 2 other printers (don't ask) connected to NAS drives that support printers.

The NAS drive and USB printer is a good approach, I've got two, now fairly aged, Buffalo Link stations.

Be careful that any NAS you buy supports USB printers if you want to go down that route, some do, some don't

I am the satisfied customer....
richardm111
Dabbler

Thanks for all of the information.

Well it looks like for now that I will have to keep on plugging in the printer to my laptop every time I need it.

It is 10 years old, I just don't want to chuck it because it works perfectly.

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

@richardm111

You could look at something like the TP-LINK TL-PS310U which makes both USB drives and printers accessible on a network.

Obviously, ideally the Hub One would do this but the TP Link device is an option.

Alternatively the TP-LINK TD-W9980 is only a bit more.

I am the satisfied customer....