Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One and Nest Wifi Routers

FIXED
geecologist
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Hub One and Nest Wifi Routers

I've just signed up with Plusnet on moving house, and am just getting my bearings for a new setup (not in the house until Dec 14th, so trying to figure it out early!)

From reading these boards it seems you can't push the Hub One into bridging mode, nor shut off the wifi and have it act purely as a modem. Which leaves me with the obvious question, with the 55Mbps fibre connection, and a new mesh setup I'm keen to get the most from, what's going to be the best modem to use?

Assuming there's no way to bend the Hub One to our will, do I just go with something cheap like the Openreach hg612 modem I've seen recommended a couple of times? Will that be able to get the most from fibre speeds as a modem, or is it worth picking up a sturdier modem, like the Netgear CM500, or something better still?

Any help greatly appreciated - I don't have much experience with networks and normally just use the provider's default router for wifi. Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Re: Hub One and Nest Wifi Routers

Fix

I think it's generally accepted that the hg612 is still one of the best modems around. It's perfectly capable ( as a modem ) of handling the throughput of any fttc connection

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

You can turn the wifi off on a hub one and use a mesh system like bt whole home which doesn't have a router built in.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
geecologist
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Thanks both, that's really helpful Smiley