cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One and IP ranges

Billaboard
Dabbler

Hub One and IP ranges

I see it's  been raised before, but I've just moved to PlusNet and found that the Hub One router won't set to my 10.0.0.xxx IP range.

Is there ant simple change that I can make? I haven't found any real answers here.

I have between 40 and 50 laptops coming and going and 3 printers plus backup servers, so moving everything is going to be a real pain.

9 REPLIES 9
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Hub One and IP ranges

Hi @Billaboard

Welcome to the forum.

The answer seems to be no , this earlier discussion explains more https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/New-Hub-One-wont-accept-10-x-x-x-RFC1918-Gateway-or-DH...

Edit: to add welcome

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Billaboard
Dabbler

OK, thanks. I'll have to look into whether I can piggy-back my old ADSL router onto the hub one so that I can do the changeover over a few months.

I am not really in a position to afford to pay out on a different modem/router. What a pain.

Billaboard
Dabbler

Well, I've abandoned the attempt to piggy-back the old modem-router onto the Hub One, and embarked on the huge task of resetting all the IP addresses on the network. At least I've got the printers back now, but I'm really struggling with the Linux backup servers.

I usually access them via puTTY, but they, on the 10.0.0.xxx range, don't seem to be visible in any way via the router, and until I can reach them to connect monitors etc., and look up Linux commands again, I seem to be stuck with no backups.

I hope I'm right to assume that I can use addresses at the lower end, eg 192.168.1.6 as fixed ip on the network and not hit any other unexpected problem in the future.

I do think there should be a note about the 10.xxx.xxx.xxx range where one is initially offered the Hub One router.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

You're safe using the lower end of the 192.168.1.* range as the Hub One uses 192.168.1.64->192.168.1.253 as its DHCP range.

Billaboard
Dabbler

That's good about the lower ip ranges on the router. I asked because I read another reply somewhere here that seemed to imply something odd.

I have at last got the 2 Centos backup servers running, remotely accessible and visible again. I still think this Plusnet router is a bit strange. When I was fiddling about on the floor in the cupboard with these servers, it kept switching its light from blue to orange during the time I was rebooting or restarting services in the 10.0.0.xxx range. Since everything that's fired up is now on the 192 ranges, it has stayed blue.

I'm now about a quarter way through the ip reassignment, with just a couple of main audio recording/mixing desktops plus dozens of laptops left to change. I hope to be finished by Christmas.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

So you're not using DHCP for anything at all then?

Billaboard
Dabbler

Most laptops, the family phones and some tablets use DHCP,

Basically, the setup here has evolved from a broadcasting and music-related business into an almost random collection of elderly equipment that can be fired up in various ways to simulate what various old friends' setup may be when they make contact for help.

I just think it feels a lot better to be sure what each permanent machine's IP address is and, of course, it's important for the printers and the headless servers etc. The audio mixing machines, for example, need to be able to ditch and reconnect networking when necessary and in a reliable way.

It may well be my fault, but I really didn't appreciate having to move everything from the 10.0.0.xxx range when the problem was not flagged up when joining Plusnet. But now that I've tamed the Linux machines I'm much happier and have moved on.

Aubs
Grafter

I'm glad you got it all sorted, but I still don't understand why you've not used DHCP with reservations.  The new Hub One will allow you to reserve IP's, this would have saved you a significant amount of time re-configuring every device.  Admittedly, some routers only allow a certain number of reservations, and I'm not sure how many the Hub One allows, but once a device picks up an IP, you can then make it static and change the IP to one you want.  It is a shame you can't add all the reservations in advance of the device connecting and picking up one via DHCP (I have a list of all devices and their MACs, so setting them up is quick and easy).

Billaboard
Dabbler

Aubs, Basically, I'm happy doing what I know, so it's easier for me to allocate a range of non-dhcp IP addresses (so just one foray into the mysteries of router settings) and then just allocate them to machines as needed. That way, I just have to update my paper IP address list as I go along, setting each machine as it is fired up.

If I've understood correctly, your method means going into the router settings each time a new machine starts up or is brought in. I can see that linking via MAC addresses might be a little more secure.

Anyway, it all seems to be working OK and going well.