cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One and Hive

Daleblackwell
Hooked

Hub One and Hive

I have had no problems with above for years. 3 weeks ago started getting issues with loss of signal. Have tried all remedies with Hive. Impact is on the 2.4ghz range only. Changed channel, problems persisted, but told by Hive it should be on 1, so changed it back. Currently Hive off line and I can control manually ok using Hive thermostat. Therefore seems to suggest WiFi interference but not sure where etc. Any suggestions, as said we have changed nothing in our house.
Thank you.
13 REPLIES 13
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Hub One and Hive

Have you split the 2.4GHz / 5GHz wifi bands?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@Daleblackwell  Welcome to the forum.

Hive telling you switch off channel 1 is a load of rubbish, you need to use a quiet channel. If you have an Android phone then install a free WiFi sniffer app such as WiFi Analyzer. This will let you 'see' which channels are busy, select a quiet one.

Other things to try is splitting the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands or switching off the 5 GHz band.

Splitting Bands.

1. Open a web browser and enter 192.168.1.254 in the address bar at the top of the page. If you have a separate search field provided by the likes of Google then do not use this. This will give you access to your hub settings
  2. Select Advanced Settings and enter your Hub admin password when prompted (unless you've changed it, you'll find the default password on the settings card)
  3. Select Wireless.
  4. Choose 5GHz tab.
  5. Change 'Sync with 2.4Ghz' to No.
  6. Change the name of the 'Wireless SSID' by adding -5Ghz
  7. Save the changes.

This will disconnect the 5GHz band from your devices and use just the 2.4GHz one. See how well that performs.

If your device is dual band then go to your wireless device and select Wireless Network, or whatever it’s called on your device. Here you will see both the original SSID and the new one with -5GHz added to the SSID. Select this (the two use the same password) and see if it works any better. Use the best.

The 5GHz band is faster at short distances but whilst the 2.4GHz band gets quite congested it is usable at a longer distance.

Switching Bands Off

To switch a band off Navigate to the same Advanced Settings/Wireless page and select the 2.4 or 5GHz tab and change Wireless Network Enable to No. then Save.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Are your hive devices operating through a Hive Hub/Bridge (that is wired to the Hub One), or are they connecting directly to the Hub One over Wi-Fi?

If the former, what are the LED's on the Hive Hub doing? 

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Daleblackwell
Hooked

Former and one solid green.
Daleblackwell
Hooked

As far as I understand this, Hub One has two bans, 2.4 & 5. Most of my devices like the TV etc. seem to work OK and use the 5ghz band. It is only the Hive that is using 2.4, which Hive tell me is the correct and only band to use.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@Daleblackwell  Which Hive Hub are you using? TheI have  Hive Hub does not use the Router WiFi, it is connected via ethernet cable and communicates to the thermostat and heating control via its own method. 

Have you tried re - pairing the hub/thermostat/control?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

@Mustrum  the later Hive Hub 360 uses wifi rather than a wired connection.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Daleblackwell
Hooked

Yes it has an Ethernet cable. All recently paired and communicating its when I introduce the WiFi connection to say my Hive app on my mobile the problems start.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@MisterW  I know, but the OP says they are connected via cable and have a green LED.

Daleblackwell
Hooked

May be more accurate to say, Hive ok while offline but putting it online cause the Hive devices to loose signal etc.
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@Daleblackwell 

So if I understand it correctly your Hive unit is connect to the Plusnet hub on the 2.4GHz band? It is then connected to your Plusnet Hub over Ethernet? All your other devices connect to your hub on the 5GHz band? The suspicion is that the Plusnet hub 2.4GHz band is upsetting the Hive 2.4 GHz band?

If this is correct isn't the solution to simply switch off the hub 2.4GHz band as you are not using it?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Daleblackwell
Hooked

I think this is becoming clearer ? As the Hive devices do not need Hub One to communicate but use their own signal (I think I am right?) plus the Hive Hub is connected directly to Hub One use a cable there is no WFI involved in this part of the system. So it is the WFI (or mobile data) when I use my mobile to contact the Hive system that is the issue as it uses a 2.4 band ? Turning off 2.4 means that the connection would some how be made in the 5ghz range and still work the Hive? Fly in ointment is that I spotted doorbell using 2.4 but anyway is my understanding OK?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Hive devices use Zigbee to communicate with the Hive Hub.

You Hive Hub makes an internet connection to the Hive servers via the Ethernet connection to your Hub one.

The Hive app on your mobile does not connect directly to your Hive Hub, rather it connects via the internet to your account on the Hive servers and then they pass information to/from your Hive hub. So it matters not how your mobile makes an internet connection 2.4ghz/5ghz wifi or mobile data, as long as it has an internet connection.

Now the problem may be, Zigbee communication uses the same frequency bands as the 2.4ghz wifi. They are SUPPOSED to coexist and zigbee chooses a channel that isnt being used by any 2.4 ghz wifi BUT its not perfect and can interfere. Changing the wifi channel and/or resetting the zigbee network by restarting the Hive hub ( thus causing it to hopefully choose another channel ) can sometimes resolve problems.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.