cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One and Google Home

Jayme1988

Hub One and Google Home

Hi I've recently bought and connected a Google nest hub, 2 Google home minis and a Chromecast ultra to my network. Since setting them up I've had numerous WiFi issues. Where only resetting the hub will resolve. I've read that this is a packet issue from the Google devices but that a router firmware update could resolve the issue. I have no idea the firmware I have and if it's the most recent update. Please help 😅😅
Tags (3)
11 REPLIES 11
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: Hub One and Google Home

Hi @Jayme1988

Thanks for getting in touch - I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing wifi issues.

Could you try splitting the wifi frequencies out on your router as detailed here and let us know how you get on once you've assigned some devices to the separate 5ghz connection?

Best wishes

Dave

inky123

I've also go this problem. I have 1 Google Home, 1 Google Mini, 1 Chromecast, 1 Chromecast audio and and LG Chromecast speaker. I have split the 5ghz away but it hasn't solved the problem. I come down every day and have to restart everything except the mini. I've gone through it all again this morning and just given up because I can only get 2 devices to connect today! Do they all need to connect to one single wifi channel in order to work together? 

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @inky123

Sorry to hear this.

Do you experience an issue getting the devices to connect on both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz frequencies?

Your devices should be able to connect across both frequencies in any combination that you choose (providing your devices support the frequency in question).

Do you find that any particular device prevents the other devices being connected once it's synced up with the router?

Could you take a look at your firmware version by entering 192.168.1.254 into your Internet browser and let us know the result here?

Best wishes

Dave

inky123

Thank you for responding! I have had them all connected and playing at once but (and I've checked the logs) at some point, several of the devices get kicked off the network and then I can't get them back on. I painstakingly restarted them all, and the router, several times yesterday and got everything working but today, no joy. The Mini connects immediately, as does the Nest but not the Chromecast Audio or the Google Home or the LG. I did the firmware upgrade about a week ago.

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @inky123,

Would you be able to completely disable the 5GHz from the router settings page and connect all of your devices to 2.4GHz nad let us know if it makes any difference?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
DaveB4

I have the same problem:  I bought a Google Home Hub last week and the device connects to my Plusnet Hub One but  My Android phone (Android 7) Google Home app doesn't see it (it sees my Nests and other Kasa devices).

I'm not keen on setting all my devices to 2.4MHz - I just don't know the how to and don't want to risk messing them up.

Google support suggested:

• Enable: Universal Plug and Play (UPnP), multicast, Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP)
  • Disable: AP/client isolation, virtual private networks (VPNs), proxy servers, IGMP Proxy. VPNs and proxy servers should be disabled on your computer as well (if applicable).

But I'm not keen to mess about with these settings.  Someone with a similar problem reported that the app connected using a Zyxel router, but not  Hub One. 

It really should all just work.

Any chance of accommodating the Google Home app and Google Home Hub in a router update?

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hello @DaveB4,

I would ask that you go ahead with the previous troubleshooting we've mentioned on this thread - splitting the frequencies and connecting to 2.4Ghz should allow the device to connect. Please follow the instructions here & let us know how you get on.

Thanks.

DaveB4

Hi, I've done as you suggested but now get the message in the Google Home App setup:

'Your Nest Hub was set up successfully but cannot be found.  Make sue that your mobile device and Nest Hub are on the same WiFi network,'  - they are..

'Turn off AP isolation

If AP on your WiFi is enabled on your WiFi router you will need to disable it. Learn more here.'

Please advise.

Best wishes

Dave

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us  @DaveB4 

To be honest that's odd and I'm not really sure what else we can suggest as it appears your other wireless devices are OK. Hopefully someone from the community has more knowledge into this and may be able to help you.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

People posting on here are not the only ones with the same problem, its not unique to the Hub one , just google 'google home ap isolation error'

My guess (and its just a guess) is that google are  using mDNS(multicast DNS) to try and 'find' devices on the network.

This can be a minefield where Wireless is concerned, see here https://superuser.com/questions/730288/why-do-some-wifi-routers-block-multicast-packets-going-from-w... for some (very) technical information.

Bottom line is if it works, then fine, if it doesnt then finding the problem is almost impossible. From that reference above , the problem MIGHT be the group-key timeout , in which case leaving things alone for an hour or more MAY help

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

DaveB4

So to test an alternative router and ISP I took my Google Home Hub to my son's who has a Fritzbox router (can't remember the model) and Znet ISP.  The setup went through OK.  

Then brought it back home and after the initial setup showed connected and required setup finish via phone it failed - as previously.   So I turned off wi-fi on my router and connected via 4G.  The setup went through to what seemed like completion and I turned on my wifi.  GHH then allowed me to show my photos and train it with my voice, but it's very unpredictable in responding to queries with a low rate of response  - it displays my voice queries correctly but mostly fails to give an answer. .  Now, the Google app on my mobile shows the GHH but clicking it shows it  'connecting', then 'not playing' and going back to 'connecting'.

Google support phoned to ask how I was getting on,  They had no suggestions but would feed back to their management..

I don't know whether to persist or send the GHH back.

Regards

Dave