Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One access control settings do not persist

DocDelete
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hub One access control settings do not persist

Does this ring any bells?

I've been using Plusnet Access Control to limit my son's capacity to sit on his behind with online gaming. It worked very well for a year until I noted that he was using the internet past the watershed I'd set.

In a nutshell, the radio button in the control panel will not stay on. It's been like it for some months. I've had to set a shortcut to it on my work PC and switch it back on several times per day. The individual timings and settings for each device remain intact but the service keeps switching off.

Any ideas? Thanks.

18 REPLIES 18
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Hub One access control settings do not persist

Maybe your son knows how to log into the router or factory reset it.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

DocDelete
Rising Star

Nope. Definitely not. He hasn't a clue and has absolutely no interest in that kind of dabbling. His only use of the wifi and internet is through the PS4. He wouldn't know what a browser was if he was slapped around the face with one. His PC hasn't been switched on for two years, and he has 240 unread emails going back to 12 months ago.

I digress. I think you get the picture Wink

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there.

This is odd, and I've not heard of this issue before.

Have you tried a factory reset to see if the problem occurs afterwards?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DocDelete
Rising Star

Yes, but to be sure I did it again yesterday. Factory reset then rather than save a config file and restore it, I loaded up all my settings by hand again, and set-up the access controls again.

The yes/no ON/OFF setting persisted until this afternoon - about 24 hours - but I logged in again just now (because I can hear my son is online and multiplaying when he shouldn't be) and the darned thing has switched off again.

For clarity - the times and the devices are remaining constant, but the feature keeps switching itself off.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hmm, this is probably a long shot but do you still have the older Hub One we sent you?

Just to rule out a hardware and/or software fault with the new one.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DocDelete
Rising Star

Nope, it was returned shortly after the hot VLAN issue cooled down, with the reply-paid envelope.

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hello @DocDelete,

Thanks for getting back to us. I have ordered a new router for you which will be with you within 3 to 5 working days.

Please let us know how you get on.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
DocDelete
Rising Star

Oh, thanks. We'll give that a go then and post back Smiley

DocDelete
Rising Star

That's a shame. I configured the new router yesterday, and the yes/no seemed to persist until sometime in the last 3 hours. I extended my son's access to 21.30 and was amazed to hear him using the internet after this. I just checked the control panel and, sure enough, the access control had switched off again!
Could it be something to do with the client or browser accessing the control panel? (Surely not!) I use Chrome under Win10 x64 on a desktop, and Chrome under Android Oreo on a Nexus5x phone.
Ndegwa
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Hi There. I have raised this question internally with regards to why the router would be disabling Access control. We hope to have an answer for you over the next few days whilst this is looked into.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lee Y
 Plusnet Help Team
DocDelete
Rising Star

Hiya - any progress on this?

I confirm the new router is still experiencing the problem - I have the front-end configured as a shortcut in my desktop browser and check it around six times a day. Look, I'm not keeping notes but my experience is that 80% of the time the access control is simply switching off.

Is this a demonstration of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle? Just because I'm /looking/ at the status makes it change?Huh

deank
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 14

Hi @DocDelete

Can you please open your router settings and go to Troubleshooting > Event Log for me please. You should be able to see in there what is causing the access control to turn off.

Have you also tried changing your admin password just in case your son could be accessing the router?

DocDelete
Rising Star

Hi @deank - I'll need more help than that. I've gone into the log, and there are several sub-headings as well as general. Most are well-populated. How am I to tell what affects Access Control? Wi-Fi? Port Forwarding? Firewall? System?

Also - there's no way my son knows the password. And anyway, the password changed with the new router, and then I applied a new one as well. Seriously, as said before, he's only using a PS4, and wouldn't know what 192.168.1.254 meant if his life depended on it. Zero interest. Additionally, he asks for extensions to his usage even when I know the darned thing has de-activated!

DocDelete
Rising Star

@deank OK, if we're /only/ looking for admin sessions I can all local IPs that accomplish that under 'GUI' in Event log.

Nothing looks suspicious.

(What's the difference between 'Admin log in successful' and 'new GUI session'? - is a new GUI session a glance at the front-end without a successful log-in?)

Ken.