cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One Router problems with Wifi

garywood84
Rising Star

Hub One Router problems with Wifi

I'm using the PN Hub One router and have previously had a stable connection. Recently, the wifi connection is failing frequently. It still broadcasts its SSID and I can connect to it, but DNS lookup fails, and I can't access the router's control panel via its IP address. It continues to work fine for devices connected to it by ethernet. The only solution is to reboot the router. I've tried resetting it, but the problem persists.

I think it's developed a fault and needs to be replaced. PN, can you help, please?

18 REPLIES 18
NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Hub One Router problems with Wifi

@garywood84

I suspect you are having the same issues as covered by this thread :-

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Hub-One-losing-internet-connection-on-5Ghz-WiFi-only/td-p/16...

If that is the case there is still no fix and another Plusnet router will not fix the problem.
garywood84
Rising Star

Thanks mate. I’ve skimmed through that thread, but I’m not convinced it’s the same issue: I lose connectivity on both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz.

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @garywood84,

In regards to the issue you are seeing one thing I'd suggest to do is factory reset the router. This can be done by pressing a pin, cocktail stick etc.. into the "reset hole on the back of the router for 5-15 seconds. You should see the router reboot and then within a few minutes hopefully this may have resolved the issue you're seeing.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
garywood84
Rising Star

Many thanks, Beyhive. I have already tried resetting the router, but it has not solved the problem. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us @garywood84 

I'm sorry to see you're still experiencing wireless problems. I've had a look into this for you and I'd recommend splitting the 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies as it appears they're currently merged together. If you're unsure how to do this, there's steps Here which should be able to help out. Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
garywood84
Rising Star

Thank you, Anoush. I've never had the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz WiFi separated and have until recently not had a problem. I don't want them to be separated, because it makes it more complicated for users to connect.
garywood84
Rising Star

Anoush/PN Staff - how can I order a replacement router to see if that fixes the problem?

garywood84
Rising Star

I've just chatted with PN support team via online chat. The agent confirmed that this is a known issue and suggested I separate the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wifi and then only connect to 2.4Ghz wifi. I pointed out that this is not a fix, just a way to stop me seeing the problem (and that I might as well actually turn off 5Ghz wifi). The agent advised that PN is looking at a fix but has no ETA on its release. He also confirmed that it is a firmware issue and started with the March firmware update.

I asked to downgrade my firmware back to pre-March until a working release is available. The agent advised that @bobpullen needs to arrange this remotely. Bob, can you help with this, please?

NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro

Hi @garywood84
So this is the issue I suggested in post 2.

This has been affecting a large number of us for 8 months.

Plusnet stopped doing firmware downgrades in April after telling people that wouldn't fix the issue. In reality it is just too much effort for them.

We have all just been told to buy our own router.

In the time since then Plusnet have made absolutely no progress on the issue.

If you manage to get a downgrade please let us all know, it is likely to start a riot!

If you look in the other thread you will find a link to an article about this on the ISPreview website.
garywood84
Rising Star

@NigeBoy wrote:
Plusnet stopped doing firmware downgrades in April after telling people that wouldn't fix the issue. In reality it is just too much effort for them.

I can't see why it's any effort. PN uses a hardware management system to push out firmware upgrades, so why couldn't the same system be used to automatically push out an "upgrade" to an older software version? It's only a lot of effort if they have to do them all manually.

It's simply not acceptable for PN to released firmware that breaks users' connections, and then not take responsibility for remedying that. I hope that once Bob is back he'll be able to help with the downgrade or to provide some other remedy. Otherwise, this will be a case for trading standards to investigate.

garywood84
Rising Star

The article on the ISPReview website is interesting. @bobpullen is quoted there saying:

I’ll be the first to admit that this problem has been around far longer than we’d have liked. Largely attributed to our complete failure to replicate the behaviour in the lab. In an ideal world, we’d have collectively identified a particular device/config that can be used to reproduce the error (all ears if anyone has any suspicions). I’m confident things would progress in leaps and bounds if we could get to this stage.”

It seems obvious to me that the problem is in whatever code you changes for the March firmware update, so start by reversing that. And in terms of replicating this in the lab, Bob: please send me a new router, with the old firmware, and I'll send mine, which exhibits the problem, to you. Then you'll be able to see the problem for yourself...

NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro

@garywood84

We would all agree with everything you said, we have been saying it in the other thread since April.

I just didn't want you expecting to get anything resolved quickly.
garywood84
Rising Star

@NigeBoy - thanks, mate. There's no time for undue delay here. PN has always been reasonable in the 15 years I've been with them, so fingers crossed they can send downgrade the firmware and get me back up and running.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@garywood84 downgrading to a prior software version will trash any custom config a customer has set, so it isn't an option en masse. It's essentially a factory reset.

The firmware deployment at the time was very gradual, tested, and still this one slipped through the net.

You can send your router back to me but it wouldn't help. I've access to all firmware iterations, and despite my best efforts, I'm unable to replicate the problem myself. I can sit there for days with myriad devices connected to the router, and the 5GHz radio remains unaffected. This is partly the reason for the slow progress, neither we, nor the vendor can replicate the problem. If we can establish a reliable trigger, then we'll be in a much better place.

Drop me a private message if you want to discuss in more detail, however I'm not 100% we talking about the same problem, given your comment about the 2.4GHz radio being affected too.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵