Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One Router keeps on restarting almost every day for no reason

Annie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Hub One Router keeps on restarting almost every day for no reason

I'm finding my 5 year old Plusnet Hub One router is rebooting almost every day for no apparent reason. It usually comes back on by itself. It's getting a bit annoying now so is there something wrong with the router? It's on firmware version: 4.7.5.1.83.8.263

Annie
39 REPLIES 39
Auric
Grafter

Re: Hub One Router keeps on restarting almost every day for no reason

Your firmware is the latest that I'm aware of.

Assuming you have made no changes to the wiring, my first thought is that your line has become unstable. DLM will look at the line errors accumulated over a 24 hour period and if excessive it will force a modem resync, hence the one a day reboot. Log into your your router and got to Troubleshooting > Event Log  set Category to WAN and look at the "PPPoE is up" reports. You should see one for every reboot.

Look at the reported data rates and noise margins, What is the trend?

Check for corrosion on the modem connector pugged into the Openreach master socket.  

To try and find the cause of your issue you might request a KBD GEA Test be run on your line.

This may tell you if you have RFI, REIN or crosstalk affecting the line.

Have you acquired any new appliances lately? They might be the cause of REIN.

Another possibility is that line cross talk noise has increased as more users switch to fibre/copper.

Of course modem or DLSAM pending failure is also possible.

Annie
Rising Star

Thank you for your reply @Auric . The router logs show the following...

( 102.850000) PPPoE is up -​ Down Rate=39993Kbps, Up Rate=9995Kbps; SNR Margin Down=15.4dB, Up=16.3dB

It is similar to this each time but I don't really understand what it means. I haven't had any new appliances recently but a couple of months or so ago, BT Openreach were working in the hole outside my house and managed to cut me off and had to come back the next day and connect me up again. One of the copper wires wasn't connected properly I think.

The only other thing I changed a little while ago was that I split the 2.4 & 5 Ghz channels as I was getting a lot of disconnections from the wifi. That seems to have improved the wifi situation but the router reboots seem to have become more frequent instead.

I'm not technical so I'm afraid I don't understand things like crosstalk, RFI and REIN.

Annie
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@Annie 

Your stats show that you have a very good line that should manage youe 40/10 connection with no problems.

Are you sure that it's actually rebooting and it's not just a wireless problem? What are the hub lights doing during this time?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Annie
Rising Star

@Baldrick1 by the time I notice it, if I happen to be near the router I see the flashing orange light before the steady blue light comes on. I presume the green light shows at some point but I've only noticed this once. In the logs, under the Boot option, there are lots of things like...

12:16:58, 26 Mar. ( 34.090000) System up, firmware version: 4.7.5.1.83.8.263
12:16:44, 26 Mar. ( 20.460000) System start
Annie
Baldrick1

@Annie 

It sounds more like a network problem to me. I would take the front off the BT Master socket to expose the Test socket. Plug your filter in here and if it persists then report a fault at https://faults.plus.net

The big problem you will have is whether Plusnet/Openreach will do anything about it if it's only one short drop per day.

Moderator and Customer

Annie
Rising Star

@Baldrick1 
I'll take the socket off and give it a go. I don't have a filter as it goes straight into one side of the box. When Openreach came to fix whatever they did in the hole outside, they also came into my house and plugged things into the socket. Do you suppose they would have checked the socket at the time or just the test socket?

Annie
Baldrick1

@Annie 

You would have had a filter in the box with yo ur hub.

Moderator and Customer

Annie
Rising Star

@Baldrick1
Sorry for the confusion. I meant I don't think I have to use a filter rather than I didn't have one.

I'm putting some photographs of the socket as I think the last Openreach person has changed things again. I have taken off the face of the socket and I can't see where I can plug the router cable in behind. I have also unscrewed the inner face plate and there's nothing in behind other than the wiring but no sockets.

What I did notice was that the front face plate seems to have a bit missing on the side where it's meant to be pressed into the one behind and so it is slightly loose. I shall put some tape on the side to see if I can make it tighter. Do you think a loose face plate could be the issue?

Annie
Auric
Grafter

@Annie.

From the images you posted you have been fitted with an Openreach NTE5C MK2  master socket fitted with  a VDSL MK4 face plate. This face plate has the filter built in, hence the phone (filtered) plugs in to the RHS, the router (unfiltered) into the LHS. 

As Baldrick1 says from the info you posted (PPPoE is up -​ Down Rate=39993Kbps, Up Rate=9995Kbps; SNR Margin Down=15.4dB, Up=16.3dB), your VDSL connection line quality is excellent, your connection speed is not limited by your line, it is caped by the contract you have chosen with Plusnet. You also say that the PPPoE logs prior the the one you posted are all very similar. I don't think that you have line noise issues.

Baldrick suggests removing the faceplate and plugging the router directly into into the socket you can see in the socket2.jpg pic, at top center. This will not resolve the issue, but it is standard procedure because that socket is the boundary between your responsibility and Openreach's, and you can report a fault without being charged.

The router rebooting daily is a fault condition. It could be the DSLAM in the cabinet our your Hub One.

Could you finger touch the surface of the router power unit that plugs into the mains socket. It should be running cool, warmth just perceptible. A failing power unit is a possibility.

Auric
Grafter

[An edit in brackets]

Baldrick suggests removing the faceplate and plugging the router directly into into the socket you can see in the socket2.jpg pic, at top center. [To plug into this socket (BT 431A) you will have to use the external filter unit shipped with your Hub One.] This will not resolve the issue, but it is standard procedure because that socket is the boundary between your responsibility and Openreach's, and you can report a fault without being charged.

Annie
Rising Star

@Auric 
Thanks for your reply. The end of the router cable is a different size and shape (I think it's called RJ11) and doesn't fit into the socket of the 5C socket so I couldn't try that. The hole seems to accommodate the bit jutting out of the back of the Mk 4 face plate.

Whilst the power supply isn't red hot, it's the warmest of all the plugs that I have under my desk but it's not excessively so.

I will monitor how it goes with a tighter fit where the Mk 4 wasn't fitting into the 5C because there's a bit of plastic which is broken. I assume this might have been affecting how the socket fits into the one behind.

Annie
Annie
Rising Star

Just seen your follow up message. Thanks.

Annie
Annie
Rising Star

I've now plugged the filter in and will see how it goes.

If it starts behaving itself, does it mean that the Mk 4 face plate would need to be changed at my expense? In fact, looking at it, the broken piece of plastic is actually on the side of the 5C behind. I'm fairly certain that it's been like this since it's been there. How would we go about changing this out? I imagine there are wires connected in behind which we wouldn't know what to do with. They wouldn't send Openreach out for this, would they?

Annie
Auric
Grafter

Openreach own the NTE5C MK2  master socket. You own the front VDSL MK4 filter-plate. You can buy the pair from Amazon for about £10. You cannot replace the wall mounted NTE5C MK2  master socket yourself. Unless Openreach are on your premises for a fault condition, they will not replace the master socket. A broken latch is common, and cosmetic. Your line as shown by the PPPoE info is in excellent condition. If there was an electrical connectivity issue it would show up in the numbers you posted.

Could you look at your WAN event log again. When the line goes down a message is posted along the lines of "PPP LCP Send Termination Request" with a specifier in [ ]. 

Sensing temp by touch is of course subjective; but I'm surprised that your describe yours as very warm.  If the reboot-resync issue persists and has been doing so for 14 days from when you first noticed; this being the period DLM is generally thought to take to settle down if there has been a change on your line e.g. a new DSLAM or cabinet upgrade, I would log a fault, request a KBD GEA Test and if that finds no fault, ask for a replacement One Hub to eliminate it from consideration.