Did you mean: 

Hub One Router can't connect Android phone to Windows PC via WiFi

FIXED
BillKnocker
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Hub One Router can't connect Android phone to Windows PC via WiFi

Hi,
I have a partial solution to a problem that I want to share.
I have been trying to transfer files from a Windows 10 PC to an Android Nougat phone, controlling it from the phone.
I tried to use ES File as an FTP Client on Android, and FileZilla as the FTP server on the PC. The problem was that neither device could see the other on the local WiFi network, although both could connect to a local wireless printer on the 2.4GHz link, and both could access the Internet.

The hub management software showed both devices and I realized that the PC and printer had a 2.4GHz connection, but the phone had a 5GHz connection.
Thanks to comments by bill888 on another topic, I switched off synchronization between the 2.4 and 5GHz transmitters, and after that EsFile on the phone showed the PC. (I have copied instructions on how to do this from bill888's post - hope this is okay, Bill - see the bottom of this post)

When I clicked on it, it opened a SMB session which required me to log in using my Windows user ID and password and gave me access to all the shares on the PC. This enabled me to move files directly from a folder on the PC to the external SD card on the Android phone.
Strangely, Windows File Explorer still can't see the Android phone and I can't connect to the PC from the phone using FTP, even though I can ping the phone from the PC.
It feels as though some protocols are not being routed between the two channels on the hub, even though they should be.
It should be noted that although I switched off channel synchronization between the 2.4 and 5GHz channels, I kept a single SSID, as FileZilla and ES File advise that this is necessary to enable FTP sessions on an internal network.

If this is a bug in the router software, is there an upgrade?

My router software is as follows:

Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.226 | Last updated Unknown

Bill888's instructions for stopping synchronisation between the 2.4 and 5GHz channels:...

Point web browser to 192.168.1.254.
Hit Advanced Settings and enter your Hub admin password when prompted (unless you've changed it, you'll find the default password on the settings card)
Continue to Advanced Settings.
Tap on Wireless.
Choose 5GHz tab.
Change 'Sync with 2.4Ghz' to No.
Change the name of the 'Wireless SSID'
Save the changes.

5 GHz wifi signal has a shorter range than 2.4 GHz wifi. Consequently, you are less likely to experience interference from neighbours on 5 GHz - this may be important if you are trying to stream video.
Some 'new' devices do not support 5 GHz wifi btw.
8 REPLIES 8
mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: Hub One Router can't connect Android phone to Windows PC via WiFi

FTP is not setup on Windows 10 out of the box. You have to add it in and configure it via Turn Windows Features on or Off, you can type 'Turn Windows Features on or off' into the search box and click on the link.  In the Window that pops up, expand the Internet Information Services Node, then expand the FTP server node and check FTP Service, click OK. It will start installing the ftp server, I've a sneaky feeling it will do a reboot and look like its installing a windows update.

BillKnocker
Hooked

Fix
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your post.

My point was that the Android phone and Windows PC weren't discovering one-another on the network and I think that is because they are using different frequency bands on the dual channel router.

By switching off channel synchronization, the phone was able to discover the PC and I was suggesting it as a possible solution for others.

Once ES File on the phone had discovered the PC on the network, I only had to click on it to be able to log on to the PC and transfer files. It used the SMB transfer protocol and there was no need for an FTP application.

Your point about FTP not being installed on Windows by default is a good one, but I had installed FileZilla on the PC as several people have suggested that its FTP Server component is easier to configure than the native Windows IIS one.
mikelahey
Pro

No problems, I've used Filezilla in the past. Did you create a Windows firewall rule to allow Filezilla access to ports 20 & 21 on both UDF & TCP ?

BillKnocker
Hooked

I didn't set up any firewall rules because everything is on the local network. I don't want any access to the machines from the Internet.
Hub One should be treating the 2.4 and 5GHz channels as a single network - especially because I have not given them separate SSIDs. I think that there is a bug in the router software. I was hoping someone from Plusnet would comment on this and on what the latest revision of the software is.
mikelahey
Pro

Windows has a built in Firewall which blocks these ports by default at the PCs network card. So they are even blocked on the local network unless you create a rule to let the Filezilla application through.

See: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-3114787/open-firewall-ports-windows.html

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I thought they were treated the same (by default), unless you manually separated them? Would try and help further but I am not near a HubOne at present.

Sounds like you didn't, hopefully someone can help.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

IIRC the 2.4GHz &7 5GHz bands have a different MAC address which may go some way to explaining the apparent isolation.
markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

@BillKnocker

I use ES File Explorer to connect to various windows machines and NAS drives.

I've just used shares and not had much trouble but most of my devices have reserved IP addresses and I don't use the Hub One.

Download the excellent "Fing" on your Android device and it will at least reveal what can be seen on your network.

Then I would enable file sharing on the Windows PC and connect (and log in) to the PC account from ES File Explorer.

I think that will let you do what you want.

I am the satisfied customer....