cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One Request - wrt DHCP assignments

Simon
Grafter

Hub One Request - wrt DHCP assignments

We need the ability to view / edit / delete DHCP static assignments for addresses not currently alive on the network.

Recently I moved a dynamic assignment to static, changing the host name in the process. The device (an android tablet) didn't like this and wouldn't get the assignment and because it wasn't alive I couldn't delete it. Because I couldn't remove the incorrect entry the device wouldn't connect.. Catch 22.

I rang PlusNet and all they could offer was to suggest that I do a factory reset.
I kept asking "Are you sure there's no other way?", if there was they weren't saying.. No command line, hidden menu etc..

I was fizzing!

It took a Saturday afternoon to get it back to where I started.

So, we need the ability to view / edit / delete (and perhaps add) DHCP static assignments for addresses not currently alive on the network.

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Hub One Request - wrt DHCP assignments

Hello Mr. Templar Wink

The easiest thing I’ve found is to visit the devices in question and record their details (MAC, User, OS, etc) in a spreadsheet. This can then be used by whom ever is being ‘admin’ to, add, update and delete devices and it also serves as a useful record of assets as well.

But I should point out that I run a separate DHCP server not built into my router.

Simon
Grafter

Hello Mook,

But I should point out that I run a separate DHCP server not built into my router.

.. that would be because?

I was told that the router is "domestic", understood, but if you're including a feature why only have half a feature set?. Normally have add/edit/delete.

The main pain in the proverbial was not being able to do anything with an entry which wasn't alive... which couldn't come alive because of an error.

I've used "domestic" Netgear routers which have had this (and more) functionality before.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Simon - I run a separate DHCP and DNS servers to allow me to get full control over my network. I did run fixed IP addresses a while back but when I read up on DHCP and what it can do, including Option 43 and 60 I decided to move over to it, and it has made my life so much easier.

I configured the DHCP server to allocate a single IP address to allow me to easily add new hardware when I need. So when new hardware is added I know what address it will be at and can then add a fixed address and DNS entry for it.

I work from home so I have a wide range of personal and business hardware on my LAN and by providing my own services it gives me more control and I think less maintenance overall.