cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One IP address change

mapidd
Hooked

Hub One IP address change

Hi. New to the forum after deciding to join 21st century and move from adsl to fibre. My existing router is on ip address 192.168.101.101.

My query is can I change the hub one to use this address? DHCP uses addresses from .1 to .99 for the various devices, wireless extenders, powerline, pc, laptop tablet, etc. Woild like to duplicate this but from what I  have read hub one reserves. 0 to .63 of it's default range ( what for I can't find why ). Do I  need to reserve such a range if I change ip address?

I have searched on here and Google but keep going around in circles. If someone could give me a definitive answer or a link to one I'd be grateful. 

Thanks in anticipation,  Alex

5 REPLIES 5
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Hub One IP address change

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

The default IP address settings for the Hub One are:-

IP address 192.168.1.254

DHCP range 192.168.1.64-192.168.1.253

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@mapidd wrote:

Hi. New to the forum after deciding to join 21st century and move from adsl to fibre. My existing router is on ip address 192.168.101.101.

Do you mean this or 192.168.1.1?

My query is can I change the hub one to use this address? DHCP uses addresses from .1 to .99 for the various devices, wireless extenders, powerline, pc, laptop tablet, etc. Woild like to duplicate this but from what I  have read hub one reserves. 0 to .63 of it's default range ( what for I can't find why ). Do I  need to reserve such a range if I change ip address?

Why? Your router automatically assigns the DHCP addresses so why does it matter? It's very unlikely that a different router would pick up the same address. If you want to use a fixed IP address then you should fix the address in each of these devices, not use DHCP for them. The fixed address range on Plusnet Hubs is 192.168.1.0-63, which I guess answers your other question.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

wickedlemon

" If you want to use a fixed IP address then you should fix the address in each of these devices, not use DHCP for them."

I know this is an old thread, but for anyone stumbling upon it (as I did), this advice is just wrong. DHCP allows to you reserve IPs for this very reason. Changing the network settings at the device is so last century. Centrally managing IPs is so much easier and makes much more sense.

I wish I had known how rubbish the router's DHCP configuration was before signing up to Plusnet.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@wickedlemon 

I agree that you can reserve an IP address in the DHCP range but please correct me if I'm wrong but if you ever need to reset the hub or change it for another you will 'forget' the reserved address and be automatically assigned another, so will have to manually reserve the new address and reset associated devices.

If this is the case I would recommend staying last century.

There's a lot of aspects of Plusnet hubs that might be considered rubbish. At least there's no restriction to buying and using your own device.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'