cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One Hissing Noise

gindraxwolf
Hooked

Hub One Hissing Noise

Hi, I have recently upgraded to Fibre, 6 days ago. since upgrading I have only reached my minimum estimated speed twice for very short periods of time.The current speeds I am getting this evening are much slower than what I had before upgrading. To put in perspective I am currently getting speeds one fifth of my minimum fibre speed, Also this evening my Hub One has started making a loud hissing noise

8 REPLIES 8
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Re: Hub One Hissing Noise

Hi @gindraxwolf,

I'm sorry to hear that your speed has been poor following your upgrade to fibre. I've tested your line but the test hasn't picked up the cause of this and indicates that your line is currently syncing at 76.3mbps. Is the connection issue solely affecting wireless connections or are wired connections affected too?

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID BBEUXXXXXXXX

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 76.3 Mbps
Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 243.9
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-55M Downstream 6dB, Interleaving Low - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2019-06-19T09:45:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 55.0 Mbps 79.9 Mbps 63.0 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 9.9 Mbps 20.0 Mbps 14.2 Mbps
Up Time 532.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 899.1 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2019-07-02T08:10:04Z 2019-07-02T08:25:04Z
Ingress Code Violation 5 1
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

I'm sorry that your router has developed a hissing noise, splitting the wireless channels normally resolves this. Please run through the following steps to split the wireless channels.

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to 192.168.1.254 If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.

2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Advanced Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'

3) Select the option for 'Wireless' followed by '5 GHz Wireless'. What we want to do to begin with is turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'Off' and update the SSID to be different. The easiest way would be to add '-5G' to the end so it is identified as its own connection. Once this is changed, we will need to keep an eye on it for a day or 2 to see if the issue continues.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
gindraxwolf
Hooked

Thank you @EmilyD,This morning connection speed was very good. I have tried splitting the wifi as above, what I noticed , is the connection speed when split on the 5G was slower than when syncing with 2.4G. Should splitting it reduce the speed? I have returned the wifi router back to the 5G syncing with the 2.4G, and I will see how I get on as it seemed to be all good this morning. Thank you for your help

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi @gindraxwolf

The 5Ghz is a more concentrated band. You'll get a better connection the closer you are to the router but it's coverage isn't as good as the 2.4Ghz band. The signal will degrade significantly the further you are away from the router. Whereas 2.4Ghz covers a much broader area but isn't as concentrated.

Keeping them synced carries the benefits of both as your connection will adapt to whichever frequency is better depending on where you are.

However it also can carry both flaws. If there's any interference on either 2.4 of 5Ghz  frequency and your channels are synced, the interference could impact your connection, which is why we advise splitting them as part of troubleshooting.

I know a lot of people who just disable the 5Ghz as it is more trouble than it is worth half the time. It's purely dependent on your home environment.

In the same settings where you split the connection, you can disable the 5Ghz entirely. This is also often the cause of the buzzing sound you hear.

In addition, in the same wireless configuration page, you can adjust the current channel your router is broadcasting on. If you find yourselves getting poor wireless performance, I'd highly recommend changing the channels. Think of it like tuning in a radio and getting a better channel away from the static.

gindraxwolf
Hooked

Great, thank you @Optimatts, I will give this ago, and let you know

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No problem @gindraxwolf

If you look into changing the channels on the 2.4Gz, we would always recommend channels 1,6 and 11 as a starting point, but its worth taking some time to try as many as possible.

From personal experience, my best channel at the moment is 8.

Let us know if you need anything further.

Kind regards - Matt L

gindraxwolf
Hooked

Thanks everyone for your help, speed seems to have stabilized, and I have not nedded to split the 2.4hz and 5hz.

All good, thank you

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

That's great to hear @gindraxwolf

You're very welcome.

Feel free to get back to us if you have any further problems or queries