Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One Gigabit Ethernet

richardbradleyp
Hooked

Hub One Gigabit Ethernet

Plusnet Hub One - Ethernet LAN ports not running a 1Gbps

Hi,

My recently installed Plusnet Hub One (running firmware version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263) seems unable to run any of its four Ethernet LAN ports at Gigabit speed (they only negotiate up to 100Mbps).  I saw that inspirdron had this problem back in 2017 and that it rectified itself without anything really being changed.  Other than the obvious (changing cables, testing different devices on different ports, power-cycling etc.) does anyone have any other suggestions or explanations why this might be?

14 REPLIES 14
JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

Re: Hub One Gigabit Ethernet

That's strange, it's way out of my comfort zone but if you can provide us with some details about what's plugged in the network I'd be happy to take it to one of the experts.

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Try it with a single PC plugged in & all other ports empty.

Gigabit ethernet negotiates the speed - which will be either 100Mbits or 1,000Mbits - nothing in between.

See what speed is reported as the negotiated speed over decent cable (not what the network interface is capable of).

Maybe the router can't support all ports as Gigabit simultaneously?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@richardbradleyp 

You could try a factory reset on the router by pushing a paperclip or similar into the reset hole. Keep the switched closed for at least 25 seconds.

Apart from that do you know that your Ethernet cabling and remote devices will.support 1Gbps?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

richardbradleyp
Hooked

I've tried:

ASIX AX88179 USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter connected to a Windows 10 laptop
A Net Gear GS105Ev2 5-port Gogabit ProSAFE Plus Switch

The laptop happily negotiates 1Gbps when connected to the Netgear (other devices also happily negotiate 1Gbs when connected to the Netgear) but both of the above devices negotiate down to 100Mbps when connected to the Hub One.

richardbradleyp
Hooked

I have have already tried it with only one gigabit capable device connected a LAN port -- though each Ethernet port (4 x LAN and 1 x WAN) should negotiate their clock rate on an individual basis so I did not hold out much hope for this option.

I agree that it is unlikely that the Hub One can sustain full 1Gbps full-duplex transmissions simultaneously on all LAN ports (whilst also maintaining up to 80/20Mbps transfer rate on the WAN as well as running the firewall functions) - especially if the packet sizes are not close to the MTU.  However, this would affect the inter-frame gap and not the negotiation of the interface clock speeds.

Thanks for your suggestions though.

I'm still interested to hear whether @inspiredron worked out what resolve their environment.

richardbradleyp
Hooked

I may well resort to a factory reset - though I will be even more concerned about the Hub One if this were to resolve the problem as there is now where in the user configuration that I can see to limit the upper rate at which the Ethernet interfaces may negotiate to.

I'm thinking it may be wise to invest in new router/firewall hardware.

(My old BT Hub 3.0 would lock up whenever I had a Chromecast v1 attached to its WiFi along with other household equipment.  I've now observed the Hub One do the same thing.  Fortunately I can move the Chromecast off the Hub One's SSID but it does suggest that the old BT and current Plusnet Hubs are unable to cope with certain loads and traffic profiles.)

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Strange , I've got a Hub one sat in front of me which currently has two ports running at 1Gb. It's not running as a full modem/router though, it's basically being used as a switch, one LAN port is connected to my primary router ( a Draytek 2830 ) and the other to my desktop. Another LAN port is connected to my work desktop voip phone and when that's switched on it connects at 100Mb which is the phone's maximum capability. The other noticeable difference is that I'm running f/w 4.7.5.1.83.8.217 and since it's not connected via the WAN to the PN servers it's not likely to update ...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

inspiredron
Grafter

Sorry - I never did find out what th einitial problem was. However, I now have 1 Gb service from the router.  But because some of my older equipment is 100mb I do have orange lights as well as green lights. I installed a passive 1Gb switch and am only using a single port on the Hub 1.  Sadly our master sockety is a long way from my study.  Also our broadband connection has difficulty maintaing 10Mbits because we are 1.9km from mthe cabinet and are connected with aluminium cables!!  Because of that the losses on extension wiring are too great and I have needed to resort to a VDSL splitter face plate at th emaster socket with the remote connection via HomePlug mains wiring. The Homeplug in the study then connectes to the 1Gb 8 port unmanaged switch which gives me the best obtainable until I can get round to running about 25m of Cat 5e or Cat 6 cable between VDSL faceplate and study - not an easy task!  But, at least I have 1Gb between most of my devices!  And the Homeplug gives me a data transfer rate which is better than the broadband connection itself so not much incentive to cable it!

I have even tried involving my MP in the aluminium cable replacement - Openreach don't want to know - Virgin have already cabled our road  - but why should I have to pay twice the Plusnet cost to get the level of service that should be available in South London.  I am in a normal residential road and NOT in the wilds!

VileReynard
Hero

At least only your internet traffic is going via the router - everything else runs via the switch.

Your homeplug will increase any latency problems, though.

inspiredron
Grafter

Latency is the least of my problems! I have already put in one CAT5e connecting lounge TV to switch and that involves going under ground floor in a void that is only about 2 ft high - ie wriggling - at 78 years old I am less than keen to repeat the exercise to another room for the Master socket. I just wish that I could goad Openreach to conform to Govt guidelines for broadband. Ideally they need an extra cabinet!
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@inspiredron wrote:
... involves going under ground floor in a void that is only about 2 ft high - ie wriggling - at 78 years old I am less than keen to repeat the exercise to another room for the Master socket.

Age wise I am not that far behind you. Earlier this year I got a set of these. They were worth every penny in terms of aches, pains and time taken to do the job: https://www.screwfix.com/p/mightyrod-cable-rod-set-10m-14-pieces/5320x. In terms of eliminating network issues, installing CAT5e cable in place of wireless or Powerline connections is equally rewarding.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

VileReynard
Hero

I've got some of my ethernet clipped to the skirting-board - doesn't look too bad as its white on white.

richardbradleyp
Hooked

I have already put in one CAT5e connecting lounge TV to switch and that involves going under ground floor in a void that is only about 2 ft high - ie wriggling - at 78 years old I am less than keen to repeat the exercise to another room for the Master socket.

A long, long while ago, I had a similar challenge and borrowed my son's remote control ATV.  Down the hole it went with a couple of pieces of string firmly attached.  Once it was manoeuvred to the far side of the room I was able to loop up one piece of string, and then pull the car back using the other.  Once the car was retrieved I had the pull-lines I needed to get the cable under the floor between the places I needed it.

I don't fancy the wriggling approach and I didn't send down a small boy - just his car.  Perhaps a neighbour's child might have something similar if ever you need to do it again.

I don't suppose house-builders are making it any easier with new properties.

richardbradleyp
Hooked

Thanks for the confirmation that it has a chance of working for me.  I'll have to spend some more time experimenting to see what does and doesn't work (LAN though networking shouldn't be this difficult).