cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One Firmwre Updates

JustinC

Hub One Firmwre Updates

Hi,

For the last 2 1/2 years I've been using multiple Sonos One devices linked to my Hub One with no issues. However, earlier in January I started to have issues streaming Deezer HiFi on these speakers (tracks skipping, network busy messages etc). 

I'm currently working through the various components (Sonos, Deezer, yourselves) to get to the root cause. The info from the Sonos diagnostic submission came back as saying the devices were struggling to talk to the router. Clearly this is odd given they've worked seamlessly for years.

Therefore, I'm trying to establish what has changed. I noticed the firmware version on the hub changed between Nov and the end Jan. However, I can only see one update on 28th Jan based on the footer on my home page ("Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 28/01/19") . This is likely after I started to experience problems. Can you confirm if any other updates took place in Dec or Jan? It would be helpful in confirming a change or eliminating a source. 

Thanks

Justin

3 REPLIES 3
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Re: Hub One Firmwre Updates

Hi @JustinC 

Welcome to the Forums. 

No changes were made during that time as far as I know. 

An easy way to rule out the router being the cause of this issue is to see if the connecting trouble is replicated across other devices - do you noticing other connections having service degradation ? 

The Sonos One's run on a wireless connection, if I am thinking of the right bit of kit. It might be worth looking through our wireless troubleshooting here - are you having any connection issue on Wired devices? 

Thanks, 

MoR

JustinC

Thanks for the reply @MasterOfReality

It's a good shout and no I've not had issues with other devices (still streaming iPlayer on laptop and Netflix on Freesat box).

You are right on the Sonos devices being wirelessly connected when I have the issues (although it is possible to wire them into the router). Interestingly, when one is plugged into the router the devices establish a dedicated mesh network through that device as opposed to operating point to point to the router. When I do this I have no problem. It looks like the issue is very specific to the Hub One/Sonos WiFi interaction when streaming larger, lossless files (the issue doesn't occur when streaming Amazon Music for example).

It's a frustrating problem given they've played nicely together for the last two and a half years then overnight something has changed, somewhere, to cause the issue. 

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @JustinC,

Thank you for confirming that you're not experiencing connection problems on any other devices. From what you've said, it's likely that this is a wireless signal issue.

If you've not done so already, I'd recommend running through the wireless troubleshooting steps that @MasterOfReality has linked. If the issue persists once you've been through these, I'd recommend changing the wireless channel to try and improve the signal.

The guide below will show you how to log into the router and change the wireless channel as it's usually another router in the area on the same or similar channel that will be causing issues for both wireless frequencies. Before picking a channel I'd suggest downloading a free app called wifi analyser which will scan your area for all the routers and show what channels they are on between 1-13. Although the above app isn't essential it helps you pick where your router would be best in terms of channels and saves a lot of time doing it via trial and error.

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to 192.168.1.254 If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.

2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Advanced Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'

3) Select the option for 'Wireless' followed by '5 GHz Wireless'. What we want to do to begin with is turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'Off' and update the SSID to be different. The easiest way would be to add '-5G' to the end so it is identified as its own connection. Once this is changed, we will need to keep an eye on it for a day or 2 to see if the issue continues. If it does, the next step would be to change the wireless channel. Keeping in mind the original 2.4Ghz unchanged name network connection would be the best to connect your devices to for a stronger signal. 

4) Following the above guide to get to your 'Advanced Settings' page, you will need to change the settings within the 2.4 GHz Wireless tab and the 5 GHz Wireless tab.

5) Under the correct heading, you will need to find 'Channel Selection' on the list and change this from 'Automatic' to any one of the other channels, This can also need doing under '5 GHz Wireless' to cover both signals. Give it 3-4 hours of testing to see if the issue still persists and try to change the channel again if you see little or no improvement.

Please let us know how it goes.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team