cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One Dropouts - Firmware DNS issue?

mmenard

Re: Hub One Dropouts - Firmware DNS issue?

@bobpullen 

Can you also push an updated version of the firmware for myself ?

I currently have 4.7.5.1.83.8.263, but I got lots of dropouts. It is usually better after rebooting, but I was wondering if things would get more stable with latest firmware.

Thanks!

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Reminder that this thread is about DNS resolution failures and not problems affecting wireless connectivity.

If you have a problem with wireless performance then please see the thread over here in the first instance.

That said...

@brilliantrob @wisemk @2000sj & @mmenard - I've just pushed an update to your respective devices. You'll need to switch the router off/back on at your side to apply it. 

@hiranhirani - unless I'm looking at the wrong account, you do not seem to be using a Hub One router? 

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

wpault
Hooked

I've now had the update to firmware v. 4.7.5.1.83.8.289 exactly one month ago. Thanks @bobpullen  for your help, but it has not resolved my now-increasing-again frustration

It is probably a little better than before, but I still get DNS lookup failures quite regularly. Almost every afternoon and/or evening, never (that I can recall) in the morning. 

I've never known DNS to be so problematic before and I used to run my own named server on a Linux box. It's hard to believe that it's therefore my router's firmware problem unless PlusNet are doing something very unusual.

If so, can you PlusNet please stop?

Or is there some DNS capacity constraint to PlusNet's network?

At this point, I will see out my contract and quit PlusNet. It is too unreliable. I'm also tempted to exit the contract prematurely anyway and refuse to pay any more as the service provided is "not fit for purpose." If this sorry state of affairs continues for much longer then I might...

2000sj
Dabbler

Thanks bobpullen
Restarted the router but not sure if it’s resolved the problem.
The router later disconnected from the internet but still showed blue - had to reboot again. 
Fault logged again with Plusnet. 

wpault
Hooked

So, I changed my windows 10's PC away from access the hub's automatic to Google public DNS, for both IPv4 and IPv6. But I am still getting the same problem of failing to resolve domain names.

I also tried manual DNS queries while the system was not working, the log is attached:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19042.867]
(c) 2020 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\whpau>nslookup xxxx
Server: UnKnown
Address: 2001:4860:4860::8888

*** UnKnown can't find xxxx: No response from server

C:\Users\whpau>nslookup xxxx 8.8.8.8
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
Server: UnKnown
Address: 8.8.8.8

DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Request to UnKnown timed-out

C:\Users\whpau>tracert 8.8.8.8

Tracing route to dns.google [8.8.8.8]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 13 ms 2 ms 2 ms PNHUB1 [192.168.1.254]
2 7 ms 8 ms 6 ms 172.16.11.32
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 9 ms 8 ms 8 ms 132.hiper04.sheff.dial.plus.net.uk [195.166.143.132]
5 9 ms 8 ms 8 ms peer3-et0-1-4.redbus.ukcore.bt.net [194.72.16.80]
6 11 ms 11 ms 9 ms peer2-xe3-1-3.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.253.5]
7 11 ms 10 ms 10 ms 209.85.249.149
8 10 ms 9 ms 9 ms 108.170.232.99
9 8 ms 9 ms 8 ms dns.google [8.8.8.8]

Trace complete.

I doubt my problem is caused by google, but the tracert failed for about 10 seconds (see the timeout report) before springing back to life and reaching google's IPv4 DNS server at 8.8.8.8. By then time the tracert command had completed, my windows 10 PC was back working again. All told the outage was about 30-60s, but it is happening regularly

I don't what is 172.16.11.32 nor who owns it, but it is not current my public IP address

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@wpault - those symptoms are completely different to what I would expect if you were affected by the acknowledged hub issue. In the case of the first two test, the router DNS forwarder is entirely removed from the equation.

There is something else at play.

The 172 address is our network equipment and the subsequent timeout isn't indicative of a problem.

... but the tracert failed for about 10 seconds

Failed where? If the trace failed to even reach the hub/first hop, then there's a fundamental connectivity/routing issue between the machine and the hub itself, before the Plusnet broadband network even comes into the equation.

I'm pretty confident there isn't a wide-spread issue affecting access to either ours, or third party's DNS resolvers. Hardly conclusive as it's a single line, but I have lookup probes set-up to both on my connection at home at I see 100% success with good response times 🤔:-

google_dns.JPGpn_dns.JPG

@2000sj your actual Internet connectivity isn't looking great. I can see about 7 drops in the last 24 hours - unless this was you rebooting the router?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

2000sj
Dabbler

Thanks @bobpullen 

I did reboot the router twice - first time following your update (thanks), then again later in the afternoon when connectivity was lost but the blue light was still on. 

This blue light fault also happened a week ago and had to reboot & also reset the router to resolve.  
Seems like fault is still there, especially as connection has dropped again a few times since.
It used to drop between about 20:00 & 22:00 most evenings, but now seems to be also during the day
I’m getting fed up keeping a record. I don’t doubt your count of 7. (2 down to me!)
My Plusnet contract is up next month - what do I do ?
sj

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

If you are able to note the times it happens then I can correlate with the drops affecting your underlying broadband connection. If there's a correlation, then addressing the issue would be a case of reporting a fault to the Support Team so they're able to run tests etc. (I can see you've already done this).

I'm not sure the router is a factor now that you're running the latest software build.

I have taken the liberty to change the line management policy on your line to encourage more stability, however I can't promise it will make much difference. The change will be applied tomorrow if you want to keep an eye on things.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

ijhendry

Hi @bobpullen,

New customer here, less than 2 weeks. I believe I'm having the same issue. Initially, I thought it was a wifi issue as customer support couldn't find a problem on their end. The wifi would still be connected but "the DNS address could not be found", "server IP address could not be found". Turned on 5 GHz, played with the channels on both the bands, but after a while, I have the same issue and can only be fixed with a restart. The frequency of times I have had to restart the router has increased from once a day, to every hour, so a pushed update would really be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@ijhendry tried pushing an update but it failed. Possibly due to your router being in the failure state? Let me know when it's back up and I'll try again.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

ijhendry

@bobpullen I got a call from customer support around 5:30 PM asking me to restart the router at 8:30 PM on the 30th of March for the update to go through. Guess the router must have has failed close to midnight so maybe the update did not go through. I have just restarted it again, hope it allows you to push the firmware update. Thank you.

stuart2002

hi Bob. I'm having the same problem as other users with the connection dropping out daily and then working when I reboot the router. can you push the firmware to my router? thanks

Tags (1)
stuart2002

@bobpullen can you push the firmware over to me please. thanks

MG56
Hooked

@bobpullen 

Hallo Bob, I upgrade to Unlimited Fibre Extra at the end of February, and have regularly had DNS failures (of the type originally described in this thread) once or twice a day (mainly on weekdays).  Customer Support arranged for OpenReach visits and they made improvements to the line speed, but no difference to the DNS drops. I have a Plusnet Hub One router with the firmware:

Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263

Are you able to push out a firmware update for me?

Many thanks,

Mike

protos22
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

@bobpullen 

Hi Bob,

Similar things here.

C:\>nslookup bbc.co.uk 212.159.6.10
Server:  cdns02.plus.net
Address:  212.159.6.10

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    bbc.co.uk
Addresses:  2a04:4e42::81
          2a04:4e42:200::81
          2a04:4e42:400::81
          2a04:4e42:600::81

Please would it be possible to update my router.

Thanks

Steve