cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One Dropouts - Firmware DNS issue?

mechimp
Hooked

Hub One Dropouts - Firmware DNS issue?

We've had weeks of internet problems where the internet, pretty much daily, has been completely dropping out and only temporarily solved through a router reset - not ideal. When calling support, their checks have said that the connection is fine from their end, which leads to the conclusion that it is a problem between all devices (Ethernet, 2.4ghz Wifi, 5ghz Wifi) and the router itself. The devices can connect to the router, but all come to a

Strangely, if a device is already connected to a VPN, the internet continues to work on that device alone (while all the others fail).

Would it be possible to get any help? The poor folks over on the support line have been unable to find the issue and trying all sorts of different fixes with the Wifi channels, factory reset, now on the test connection (still not working - it looks like the known 5Ghz issue is there on top of that) etc.

I'd rather not have to set up a totally new router.

This seems to be an identical issue to this: https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Plusnet-aware-of-issue-affecting-Hub-one-router-routing/td-p... and these https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/HubOne-firmware-issue-with-DNS/td-p/1509006

75 REPLIES 75
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Hub One Dropouts - Firmware DNS issue?

When this happens, any chance you can run some lookups from a Windows command line? e.g:-

nslookup bbc.co.uk 192.168.1.254

and:-

nslookup bbc.co.uk 212.159.6.10

If the first fails, but the second succeeds, then I've a suspicion I know what the problem is and should be able to help.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

mechimp
Hooked

Hi @bobpullen 

That's exactly what has happened - the first request timed out and the second had the following:

Server:  cdns02.plus.net
Address:  212.159.6.10

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    bbc.co.uk

Followed by a set of addresses.

When trying the same on an ethernet connection both requests failed.

Thanks

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@mechimp thanks. Although I wouldn't expect the behaviour of the wired devices to differ. They should return the same results Huh

Can you reboot if needs be to make sure the router isn't in the failure state and I'll take a look shortly?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

mechimp
Hooked

Hi @bobpullen - I rebooted the wired device and that now brings the same results when running the lookups.

Thanks for looking at this!

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Have you rebooted the router too? I need for this to be done to allow me to communicate with it. Whilst it's in the failure state this is not possible. Thanks.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

mechimp
Hooked

Yup, that's been rebooted too. Thanks!

weststreet78
Dabbler

Bob,
I think you may have a solution for my firmware DNS issue. I switched to fibre a while ago and have been having issues with my connection 'dropping'. It seems to be an issue with the router acting as the DNS server erroneously instead of sending our requests to Plusnet's DNS server. I saw you mentioned this before on another feed and I've tried your commands to confirm the DNS issue as shown below from a command prompt:

nslookup bbc.co.uk
Server: dsldevice.lan
Address: 192.168.1.254

DNS request timed out.
Timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
Timeout was 2 seconds.
**** Request to dsldevice.lan timed-out

nslookup bbc.co.uk 212.159.6.10
Server: cdns02.plus.net
Address: 212.159.6.10

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: bbc.co.uk
Address: 2a04:4e42::81
Etc.

I'm using a Plusnet Hub One and think it's the router firmware that's the problem. Have you got a fix for this problem? Also, is there anything I can do to help resolve the issue?

Cheers,
Steve
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

You can manually configure your devices dns to something other than the router assigned ones to help prove it.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
weststreet78
Dabbler

Yes. I've done that and it confirms the problem! Google's DNS 8.8.8.8 works, and even the default DNS for plusnet works. The interesting evidence that seems to pin-point the problem is that manually assigning my computer's DNS to Plusnet's DNS which is specified in the router settings resolves the problem! However, if I let the DNS assign itself on my computer, it defaults to the router IP address and my requests are timed out due to a DNS error.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@weststreet78 - yes, I may have a fix for this. I'll try and take a look tomorrow...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

weststreet78
Dabbler

Thanks Bob. Going above and beyond!
-Steve
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Steve,

I've just pushed an update to your hub that will increment your firmware version. You'll need to reboot to apply it.

Let me know how it goes.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

weststreet78
Dabbler

I've rebooted the hub. I'll give you an update soon. Thanks!
-Steve
weststreet78
Dabbler

Bob,
You're a legend! It's been 5 days without losing our internet connection, and still going! Much better than losing our internet connection a few times a day and having to restart our router to get back online. You've fixed our problem by pushing a firmware update to our Plusnet Hub One router, which has resolved the DNS server issue we've been having. It's been a long journey as I've wasted my time speaking to plusnet around 5 times, changing the WiFi settings to specific channels, having a technician come to the site, restarting the router 100s of times, resetting factory settings a few times (with plusnet guidance), replacing our master socket to no avail. But now, I'm confident you've fixed the problem. Bob, you're a freaking legend!

For others reading this forum, I will recap the problem and fix. I switched to fibre using the Plusnet One Hub router and was having the internet cut out daily (multiple times a day), and resetting the router temporarily re-established an internet connection. When the internet cut out, the router light was still blue, we could connect to our router wirelessly and access settings (through the router IP address http://192.168.1.254) but were not connected to the internet, seeing an error in Google Chrome about a DNS server error. We confirmed the DNS server error by typing the two commands (above in forum) into a Windows command prompt. I also confirmed the DNS server error by temporarily changing the DNS server in my network settings which also re-establishes an internet connection. The quick firmware update that Bob executed over the internet corrected the router's DNS server issue. Presto! Bob you're awesome!