cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - Disppointing?

royalbi
Dabbler

Hub One - Disppointing?

I have had a hub one since last October? So my event log says!

speed faults, dropping faults re-booting faults, slow page loading in browser?

CHECK YOUR EVENT KOGS IN YOUR ROUTER!

Its said online you cant remote manage a BT HUB5-(HUB ONE)

My hub one is on remote management

88 pages of events in mine! PlusNet Tech guys will listen! they requested I send them the complete logs as they will not get the router- first port of call I would have thought?

all my Laptops and xbox one are scanned to see if they are on wifi channel 1 up--wifi channel 1 down repeatedly coincidently when your asleep!

so remove all batteries! and unplug your game consoles it checks mobile phones too =battery out!

BT have made a completely remote managed device but WE cant!

18 REPLIES 18
royalbi
Dabbler

Hub One - Disappointing II

PlusNet have sent me a new router at zero cost to me! Now that's Service ***** Next Day would have been nice but their obviously monitoing and bumbling through  10's of IP addresses  the cheek of it is they can ACC Username!

Firewall NO PROBLEM Immitation is obviously allowed! - I will be on constant Log Watch just incase mine was the only ONE to be like this!

We shall see:

royalbi
Dabbler

Hub One - Disapointing III

If anyone would like to see extracts of the logged events from my Hub One then ask and ill upload some.

Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: Hub One - Disapointing III

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav)

Three threads with the same title merged.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): I have removed the fix as I never offered a solution to any issues.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Hub One - Disapointing III

@royalbi wrote:

If anyone would like to see extracts of the logged events from my Hub One then ask and ill upload some.

Perhaps doing this would be useful, because I'm having difficulty understanding what you are talking about.

I'm guessing you're talking about log entries which are all perfectly ordinary and which everyone will see.

royalbi
Dabbler

BT HUB 5 Turning Off REMOTE MANAGEMENT

Hi An Update to the Trilogy had the question sent back to me with an email saying PlusNet can turn your remote management off and just done BT wholesale test and my upload is up from 1.6 to 4.1 and 4Mb on the download! on Wifi

Amazing!

Problem is You wont get Firmware Updates! Teah that's Cool Oct2016 Update is definitely the precursor to this as their are few entries  but the dates are messed up in October with March insertions between Octobers so was update Oct2016 shipped with bugs? first mention of BT HUB 5 too.

No Lagging - Check Your Logs and Phone

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: BT HUB 5 Turning Off REMOTE MANAGEMENT

Moderators Note.

related topics merged. again.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

I'm really not sure what you're getting at here? Huh

If you're talking about the CWMP entries, then that is indeed the router calling home to our ACS/tr069 servers. It's these servers that autoconfigure your device with the correct login credentials when it's first plugged in, and is used to push firmware updates/bug fixes etc. They also collect some useful info from the device, like the wi-fi strength of your connected devices/sync speed/attenuation etc.

There's nothing sinister going on, and these devices have always been configured as such (even prior to the .226 firmware update in October).

The wi-fi channel entries may well be due to the smart wi-fi feature seeking the least congested channel. You can probably stop this by fixing the channel assignment in the router interface.

Deleting the device from the ACS is really not recommended e.g. there's a know PPP disconnection issue currently affecting some fibre customers that will be fixed with a firmware update in a month or two. If your device isn't registered on the ACS servers then you won't get that update, nor any subsequent ones.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

royalbi
Dabbler

Sounds like an explanation to end all suspicions!

But at around 5pm yesterday all issues ended no lagging no 10 second page load times thought cool!

On Laptop this morning lags 10 second to load a page checked out logs :

14 April 15:15 NTP Success

their are now NO log entries Until 23:13

So whilst there is no comms from BT5' Backdoor -Remote Management EVERYTHING IS OK!

So Now what are going to say!

hex
Grafter

The NTP log entry suggests the router is just setting the correct time/date from the server (NTP = Network Time Protocol).   

Is the time/date shown set to the correct date after that log entry (and incorrect prior to that)?   If so then that explains why 'nothing' is logged between those times.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Yep, the NTP log entry is just the router pulling the time/date from a remote server. if memory serves, it will be getting that info from ntp.plus.net

The remote management entries only happen periodically (can't remember the interval), and there will be a fair few after a resync/reboot or PPP disconnection/reconnection.

Honestly can't see it being the cause of any lag.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

royalbi
Dabbler

Well Here we go again 40+ pages in 8 days says plenty of drops etc etc doesn't disconnect from xbox live despite the discoonections restarts reset button pressed etc etc! the remote management doesn't stop! its a 24/7 thing except the period from Apr 14 17:15 to 23:13 when back Internet Backto Normal NO Logged Entries! then NTP Success then logs onto REMOTE MANAGEMENT  @  HTTPS://DBTNHDM.BT.MO

the server it connects too is https://dbtpnhdm.bt.mo (Looks like PLUSNET Does it   !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Seems to ME Nobody Wants to hear about Remote Management! especially This Community!

Plusnets Paid community Moderastors

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

The moderators aren't paid, just customers.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
hex
Grafter

That URL is the BT server for firmware updates - nothing sinister there either (it is not actually the full url shown either - it is cut off).   If it is doing it over and over it suggests your connection is dropping or there is some other kind of issue (have you been instructed to try resetting the router to default settings?).

You seem convinced there is some subterfuge going on despite assurances - if you really believe this then you could always source your own router and use that instead.   If you really want to be safe then compile your own firmware from source code after reviewing it to make sure there are no hidden backdoors.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@royalbi wrote:

... the server it connects too is https://dbtpnhdm.bt.mo (Looks like PLUSNET Does it   !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

That URL is truncated in the logs. The actual URL is https://dbtpnhdm.bt.motive.com

Plusnet are part of the BT Group.

https://dbtpnhdm.bt.motive.com = BT

https://dbtpnhdm.bt.motive.com = Plusnet

https://dbtpnhdm.bt.motive.com = Home Device Manager

https://dbtpnhdm.bt.motive.com = Nokia/Alcatel i.e. the vendor we use for parts of the platform

Seems to ME Nobody Wants to hear about Remote Management! especially This Community!

What more do you want to know? As I've already stated, there is nothing sinister going on and neither is the tr069 platform going to be the cause of your Internet performance problems (assuming that's what you're actually complaining about?).

People are trying to help you, but it seems that in spite of all the evidence, you still don't want to accept some of what you're being told?

Your connection is reasonably stable but the line does look to be dropping every day or so. Perhaps it's these drops causing some of the problems you're seeing? Each drop will certainly result in an influx of log entries as mentioned in my previous reply.

If not, it would be helpful for you to share some more details around the problems you're experiencing *without* any reference to the Hub One logs or our tr069 platform, both of which I'm almost 100% certain are red herrings.

Plusnets Paid community Moderastors

As @dvorak has already stated, the moderators of this forum are not paid, and kindly volunteer their time for the good of the community.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team