Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One DNS not working

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Hub One DNS not working

@HKafemanPC, thanks for the Wireshark capture. Can't see anything I'm afraid other than radio silence after the DNS request is sent to the router.

Have replied to your PM.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

HKafemanPC
Dabbler

Bob

@bobpullen

Since I sent you the logs requested, the DNS has not gone wrong again!

BUT today the Download speed (from Speedtest.net) is less than 1Mbps (e.g. 0.57 or 0.85Mbps!), but the Upload speed is still nearly normal (12.9 and 9.9 Mbps).

Why is it to slow versus Download speeds of above 54 Mbps last week?Huh

FYI - My separate line with non-Fibre Broadband today for Download about 5.6 Mps versus 7.2 Mbps last week.

The Hub One DSL last went down and up at 02:40 on 16th. The Helpdesk still shows the following despite the slow speed:

6. Data rate: 14395 / 63120
7. Maximum data rate: 14348 / 65989
8. Noise margin: 5.9 / 3.5
9. Line attenuation: 29.4 / 20.3
10. Signal attenuation: 29.1 / 19.8

When mu daughter has finished playing a game I will try hitting the Reset button on the top of the Hub One and see if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Henry

HKafemanPC
Dabbler

Bob

@bobpullen

Having reset the Hub One (button on top), the speed is now back to "normal" - Speedtest.net gave Download 57.7 Mbps and Upload 10.9 MBps.

So why was the Hub One only managing <1.0 Mbps today before I reset it????

FYI - The Helpdesk values following the Reset are as follows (not much different):

6. Data rate: 14391 / 62922
7. Maximum data rate: 14407 / 66151
8. Noise margin: 6.1 / 3.1
9. Line attenuation: 29.4 / 20.7
10. Signal attenuation: 29.1 / 20.3

Is this slowdown another Hub One bug? - Hva others seen this issue?

Thanks

Henry

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@HKafemanPC wrote:

Is this slowdown another Hub One bug?

If it is, it's not one I'm aware of.

Sod's law that the DNS hiccup hasn't reared its head again Roll_eyes

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

HKafemanPC
Dabbler

@bobpullen 

Bob

The DNS Issue finally happened again this evening aftr all these weeks of being okay!

I have collected all the logs requested by you and Emailed them to products@testrig.plus.com with this subject:

Attn: Bob Pullen - Logs for Question #186909796 - DNS Problem re-occured

I have not reset the Hub One in case there is anything else you need from it to try to finally get to the bottom of this issue.

Thanks

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thank you. I'll pick them up tomorrow and forward to the relevant folk. Here's hoping we get to the bottom of things...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

TeamGB
Dabbler

Good luck, I have had the same problem since August with no sign of a resolution

HKafemanPC
Dabbler

TeamGB

The work around is to either reset the Hib One (though originally this did not solve the DNS problem for very long) or to change the settings in your devices to working DNS Servers - e.g.:

212.159.6.9 and 212.159.6.10   Plusnet's

8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4     Google's

I have done this on PCs/Laptops, Android Phones, Amazon Echo and XBox! - For the Android devices you have to change to a static IP address to be able to change the DNS Servers.

Now the problem has recurred and I have been able to capture the Logs to send to Plusnet who have sent them to the Hub One Manufacturer, hopefully they can finally get this resolved!?! - I have seen posts going back 3.5 years for this issue, but I don't think they have been able to reproduce the issue or to get the logs from a Hub One in a failing state before!

If not they say they can send me a different Router!

I will update this Thread when something happens...

Regards

TeamGB
Dabbler

I hope you have more luck than me. They were taking logs from me in November to send to the manufacturer. I was also told it was the first time they had the logs from the exact time it had happened.

I’ll be leaving plusnet very soon though, thankfully.
TeamGB
Dabbler

I will also add that when I took this to the ombudsman someone from plusnet claimed that DNS issues have nothing to do with them and have no responsibility for it. They do anything to not take responsibility.
HKafemanPC
Dabbler

TeamGB

Interesting - Did you connect in to the Hub One using SSH (from a command prompt, PuTTY, etc.) to be able to capture the Logs, Settings, etc. requested or did you just send the Event Logs from the Hub One Web Browser interface?

I have not heard back yet, but meanwhile the Hub One rebooted itself yesterday early morning (I do not know why/how) and the DNS is back working again for the moment. I sent the logs again yesterday from the SSH connection in case the change from not working to working could reveal something in the Logs, Settings, etc. captured.

Obviously if the Plusnet Hub One does not supply DNS properly it is not fit for purpose for the average user as they will have no idea how to get all of their devices to work around it and obviously should not have to!

That was a strange cop out as, the Hub One (when it is working) as well as supplying the DNS for the local network, it normally routes to Plusnet's own DNS Servers at 212.159.6.9 and 212.169.6.10, so they obviously (on both accounts) are taking responsibility for DNS for their customers!

FYI - the Plusnet person I have been communicating with has organised a refund against my account as a guesture to thank me for my time and effort in trying to help them to capture enough information to get the issue resolved by the Hub One manufacturer. Failing a resoluton they have also offered to send me a router from a different manufacturer.

Regards

Henry

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Take the router.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

TeamGB
Dabbler

Hi HKAfemanPC,

Sorry for the slow reply, been crazy busy. I allowed Plusnet to access the router remotely. they advised they were taking logs to send info directly to the manufacturer (sagecom I believe but may be wrong). 

Yeah that is my view on the router, but they have claimed it must be something to do with my set up, but if their router cannot work with just Windows PCs and Apple products then I would still see it as not being fit for purpose. I too was sent a different router from a different manufacturer, but before it arrived (it was sent late) they had decided that they didn't want me to use it (I'm not sure why though). I did try it after but it is locked to John Lewis broadband and I could not get it to work.

I was at an airbnb last week that had plusnet and found the same problem, though it was much less regular than I experienced. Although plusnet say it is affecting just a few customers I believe that for some it may be so intermittent that they may not fully realise the issue is there and it is affecting many more than have complained.

In November I was advised they were close to a resolution and we agreed that if it was not fully resolved in a week they'd refund everything I paid them and compensation for paying for services I couldn't use fully and allow me to leave. A week later they had removed the offer as the broadband had worked for two days (the only time it has) despite them not doing anything and would not allow me to leave. and offered a figure less than I had paid them already as a goodwill gesture.

A senior advisor at Plusnet has accepted this was misleading but was unwilling to stand by our agreement. I took my complaint about the router to the ombudsman who agreed that is was misleading and disappointing but that ' A supplier is free to withdraw an offer in this situation' but were unwilling to explain what 'this situation' was,. Due to this they were unwilling to base their decision on this. They did however advise that Plusnet should allow me to leave my contract without penalty, but yet again plusnet have failed to do this.

Another thing that is worrying about the ombudsman is that their view is that if you can access the internet at any point then the router is fit for purpose, only complete loss of service is evidence of it being unfit for purpose or failing.

Dumbledore
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 34

Hello @TeamGB

I have responded to your other thread post.

Should you require any further assistance, please feel free to get back in touch with us.

Many thanks.