cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One DNS not working

HKafemanPC
Dabbler

Hub One DNS not working

I have just changed to Plusnet Fibre as of 25th January.

I keep getting problems with no Internet access exactly as per this Thread from May 2016!:

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Hub-One-DNS-request-unresponsive/m-p/1337658#M331

Please resolve a.s.a.p.? Why is this still an issue? Is anyone else having this problem.

Also stangely I cannot ping the Default Gateway IP Address the Router has (but I can Ping all the neighbouring IP addresses).

Temporarily I have had to change my Laptop and our phones to use the Plusnet DNS Servers 212.159.6.10 and 212.159.6.9 directly along with a Static IP address instead of what the Router supplies via DHCP!

Thanks

Henry

28 REPLIES 28
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Hub One DNS not working

Some people would choose to permanently configure their devices to use non-Plusnet DNS, in order to get slightly better DNS performance.

Surely you don't need to use a static ip address, unless you want to?

Suggested DNS ones are:-

8.8.8.8 (google public dns)

8.8.4.4 (google public dns)

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HKafemanPC
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply.

First I should not have to change anything just to get it working because:

1) I happen to know a little about the settings so have found a way to change them, BUT most Customers/Users will have no idea about this and should NOT need to know.

2) When a relative/friend comes around I should just need to give them the WiFi password without having to mess about with settings on their device.

3) Some devices (Amazon Echo, XBox, Wii, Roku, etc.) will not allow you to change the settings or it is difficult to do so.

Second, I have found on phones (e.g. Samsung Galaxy A5) it is not possible to change the DNS without changing from DHCP (Dynamic) to Static IP Address! I would indeed like to stick with DHCP (Dynamic) IP Addresses, but if the devices will not allow this, then this becomes an issue of having to manage the IP Addresses and potentially change the "DHCP Network Range" which defaults to 192.168.1.64 to 192.168.1.253. All again NOT something your average Customer should have to do!

FYI - My Router disconnected and reconnected to the Internet at about 1:55am this morning and now has a Default Gateway Address of 195.166.130.254 which again I cannot PING (when I can PING the neighbouring IP Addresses!)!?!

Thanks

HKafemanPC
Dabbler

Also see this Thread from 2017:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Business/Re-Hub-One-DNS-request-unresponsive/m-p/1441763#M3270

I hardly ever use a VPN, so that is not the issue and in any case when the DNS responses are not working it affects all devices - Laptop, PC, Phones, Amazon Echo, etc.

Come on Plusnet - You need to get this sorted in the Hub One Firmware or wherever it is being caused. It is fundamental to Boradband/Internet access!

Thanks

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry to hear this.

I've asked a colleague in our products team to look into this and we'll update you as soon as we know more

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@HKafemanPC, sorry to hear you're having problems.

It sounds like you may be affected by a troublesome issue that we've been trying to get to the bottom of for a while now (ref:CPE-52).

A lot of discussion over here.

To establish if you are affected by this, then try running the following from a command line on a Windows machine (without static/third party DNS assigned) the next time it happens:

nslookup bbc.co.uk
nslookup bbc.co.uk 212.159.6.10

If the first fails, but the second returns the correct IP's, then chances are it's the same issue.

To add further evidence, a router reboot should recover things (until the next time it happens)?

There seems to be a disproportionate number of customers reporting the issue who are using secondary access points, or have powerline/wi-fi extenders on the network. Don't suppose this includes you?

Also stangely I cannot ping the Default Gateway IP Address the Router has (but I can Ping all the neighbouring IP addresses).

This is expected behaviour. Depending on what part of our network you're provisioned on, the upstream interface of the first hop outside of your router will not respond to ICMP probes, e.g. this is from my perfectly working DSL connection at home:

gateway.JPG

C:\Users\Bob>ping 195.166.130.248

Pinging 195.166.130.248 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 195.166.130.248:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

If you're prepared to help, I need somebody who's experiencing this problem to extract some local logging from the router using a command line.

Happy to provide instruction if you're up for it?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

HKafemanPC
Dabbler

Bob

Yes indeed. I cannot believe that your customers have been experiencing this problem for over 3.5 years - it sounds more like a "thug" than a "bug".

Yes:

1) I have already established that the first nslookup fails and the second works okay. That is why I have ended up changing the DNS on my devices, so that I can work!

2) A router reboot does recover correct operation for a while

No I have no secondary access points or powerline extenders. Okay, I came to realise that not being able to PING the Default Gateway must be normal behaviour....

Yes, I am 100% prepared to help as I have many years of experience of Troubleshooting various issues... I am a Software and Systems Engineer (I used to work on Newspaper and Commercial Printing Press Control Systems - though these days, as in independent Consultant, I work in may fileds of Engineering, Software and Technology).

So please do provide me with the relevant instructions and I will do my best to help. Unless you let me know by early tomorrow, though, I will be unavailable until the beginning of next week to assist.

Looking forward to working with you to get this resolved for my Router, the Community and Plusnet at large.

Thanks

Henry Kafeman

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Is the device in the error state now Henry? I need to be able to communicate with it from here to make some adjustments. If you haven't in the last few days, then can you restart the hub for me and let me know once this has been done? 

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

HKafemanPC
Dabbler

Bob

Yes it is in the error state now. The WAN last went down yesterday at about 19:10!

I had not restarted the Hub since 2nd February.

I will restart it now.

Thanks

Henry

HKafemanPC
Dabbler

Bob

Having restarted it was working okay for a while, but it has already stopped!

When working NSLOOKUP goes to:

Server:  dsldevice.lan
  Address:  192.168.1.254

When it is not working the NSLOOKUP fails and I have to force the DNS Servers to 212.159.6.10 and 212.159.6.9 or 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 or whatever to get it to work... Then the NSLOOKUP goes to e.g.:

Server:  cdns02.plus.net
  Address:  212.159.6.10

Please try to get this issue in the Hub resolved a.s.a.p.

Thanks

Henry

HKafemanPC
Dabbler

Bob

@bobpullen

Do you want me to try capturing a Wireshark log when trying an NSLOOKUP to e.g. bbc.co.uk when it is not working? - as per:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/About-Wireshark-and-how-to-use-it/ba-p/1322252

As per your earlier post, please can you send me the instructions to "extract some local logging from the router using a command line."

Thanks

Henry

HKafemanPC
Dabbler

Bob

@bobpullen

What hours do you work?

Can we arrange to work on this issue by phone and/or Skype/TeamViewer/Zoom, etc. at some mutually agreeable time?

I usually work from about 8:30am to 5:30pm UK time, but I could arrange to available later as you seem to be on a later shift.

Thanks

Henry Kafeman

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@HKafemanPC wrote:

@bobpullen

Do you want me to try capturing a Wireshark log when trying an NSLOOKUP to e.g. bbc.co.uk when it is not working? - as per:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/About-Wireshark-and-how-to-use-it/ba-p/1322252

Yes, that would be helpful, thanks.

As per your earlier post, please can you send me the instructions to "extract some local logging from the router using a command line."

I'll send them via PM, however they'll not be much use to you until I'm able to communicate with the router remotely to make some changes. You'll need to restart again to allow me to do this.

@HKafemanPC wrote:

What hours do you work?

Typically 9-5'ish. You'll mostly see me round these parts in my own time and outside of working hours.

Can we arrange to work on this issue by phone and/or Skype/TeamViewer/Zoom, etc. at some mutually agreeable time?

It's unlikely I'll be able to fit anything inside of working hours as I've other commitments. See what you make of the instructions I'm about to send across.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

HKafemanPC
Dabbler

Bob

@bobpullen

I have attached a Wireshark log for:

nslookup bbc.co.uk    - Which works as I have my DNS pointed at 212.159.6.10 in my IPv4 Settings

nslookup bbc.co.uk 192.168.1.254   - Which fails as The Hub One is not forwarding the DNS requests

Does that Log reveal anything? Is there any different/additional logging that you need?

Note - I had to start the NPF service from an Administrator Privileged CMD window using "sc start npf" before any Interfaces were available in Wireshark!

When do you want me to restart the Hub for you to be able to make the changes? - It only seems to keep working forwarding DNS requests for a few minutes at most now!

I thought you are on the Plusnet staff (Product Team) as well as being an Admin of this Forum, so that this is your day job?

Someone at Plusnet and preferrably involved with the Development/Support of the Hub One Embedded Software/Firmware NEEDS to take ownership of this issue to get it resolved.

I will PM you about the logging. FYI - I have used the methods you have described before....

Thanks

Henry

HKafemanPC
Dabbler

Bob

@bobpullen

Good to talk to you earlier. As per my PM from the Forum, I cannot attach the log files (even renamed) as the PM on this Forum only allows picture and video files (and checks they can be read as such!).

Let me know how best to get the files to you - PM me your Email address or can I add them to the Help Assistant Question Thread that is open?

I suggest that you get someone to fix the PM "New Message" and Post "Reply" so that other file types are allowed (e.g. .txt files and maybe .zip files at least). There is not "Browse..." button below the the message box, only the butons above (Bold, Italics, Underline.... Insert Photos, Insert a video, Numbered list,.....).

Regards

Henry