Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - Client disassociated/associated - Multiple WiFi dropouts

stuwhittaker
Hooked

Hub One - Client disassociated/associated - Multiple WiFi dropouts

Hi Plusnet community,

Something isn't working well for me at all on my Fibre Broadband Sad

I see multiple (and I mean multiple) dropouts from almost all my WiFi connections .. mostly on 2.4Ghz band connection. 

I split out 2.4 and 5Ghz WiFi's and tried multiple channels for both, and even when connected the speeds are terrible. 

I've stripped the MAC addresses from below, but as an example. 

12:02:52, 23 Jun.ath00:  IEEE 802.11: WiFi registration failed
11:59:10, 23 Jun.ath00:  IEEE 802.11: Client associated
11:55:02, 23 Jun.ath00:  IEEE 802.11: Client associated
11:55:02, 23 Jun.ath00:  IEEE 802.11: Client disassociated
11:54:43, 23 Jun.ath00:  IEEE 802.11: Client associated
11:54:42, 23 Jun.ath00: IEEE 802.11: Client disassociated
11:54:40, 23 Jun.ath00:  IEEE 802.11: Client disassociated
11:54:33, 23 Jun.ath10:  IEEE 802.11: Client associated
11:54:30, 23 Jun.ath00:  IEEE 802.11: Client associated
11:54:29, 23 Jun.ath00: STA  IEEE 802.11: Client disassociated
11:54:12, 23 Jun.ath00: STA  IEEE 802.11: Client associated
11:53:57, 23 Jun.ath00: STA  IEEE 802.11: Client associated
11:53:57, 23 Jun.ath10: STA  IEEE 802.11: Client disassociated
11:53:54, 23 Jun.ath00: STA  IEEE 802.11: Client associated

All good to report on the LAN connectivity, absolutely no issues there at all, so the WAN connection is fine. Simply an issue with the router WiFi...

Any ideas? Sad 

My only thoughts are ill need to try a separate modem and router setup? 

9 REPLIES 9
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Hub One - Client disassociated/associated - Multiple WiFi dropouts

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hi @stuwhittaker

Thanks a lot for reaching out on our Community Forum, and apologies for the disconnections which you appear to be having. These disconnections are apparent on our end, although after running some tests on the line, no definitive faults have been found. While no bridge Tap has been detected, it might be worth checking out your internal wiring / equipment to see if there is any visible damage.

Another troubleshooting step you can take is to remove the face plate of your master socket, and plug your router directly into the test socket which lies behind it, also please try avoiding using any extension cables / sockets while testing, as these (if used0 may be the source of your issues. Further troubleshooting steps can be found here.

let us know how you get on after taking these steps, and we'll be ,more than happy to follow up, the router remains in warranty, so we'd be able to look at sending a new one out to see if this improves things for you.

In regards to the speeds, the line appears to be syncing at around 77.2Mbps, this will be slightly lower at your end, especially over a wireless connection. If you find that a wired speed test is reporting speeds less than those which were guaranteed, please let us know.

I've popped our test results onto this post for your reference, you'll see the disconnections on the visual radius, as well as our Broadband test.

KBD
GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID  

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 77.2 Mbps
Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 143.3
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed on Week Days
Service Impact Retrains Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence From12:00to12:15
Interference Location Unknown
Interference Observed In Days 2
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream traffic detected
Technology VDSL
Current 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Last 15Min Bin Retrains 0
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream 3dB, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2021-06-10T18:00:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 76.3 Mbps 79.9 Mbps 77.1 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 19.9 Mbps 20.0 Mbps 19.9 Mbps
Up Time 2.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 886.8 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
stuwhittaker
Hooked

Hey @adam945 

Many thanks for your reply and for looking into the line for me. 

I was previously not using the Plusnet Hub One router before a few days ago, and was using a spare BT HH5 I had lying around, the area had a brief power cut on the 14th of June and it seems to be a little sketchy after that, so decided to swap to the Plusnet Hub One which I did a few days later, possibly at the beginning of when the service is reported offline for 4 days? So based on that the Hub One I'm now using is brand new already 🙈

I've checked all the cabling and all good on that front, no other phone line sockets in the house other than the one it's connected into, which has the DSL filter built into the faceplate. 

Does it report this because of the weird 4 days offline? 

Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed on Week Days

Since the post, I have performed a full router reset to the factory and only changed the SSID/password back to the previous 'personal' one, so I'll keep an eye on it over the next couple of days and see what the outcome is. Since resetting, I do see a handful of WiFi dropouts, lots of Client associated and Client disassociated and a handful of WiFi registration failed entries in the log. 

I have a feeling the disconnections you're seeing at your end may be where I've been performing various router reboots/resets/powering off at the mains?

Thanks again in advance

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @stuwhittaker, thanks for getting back to us.
If you've only recent switched over the router the interference observed issue could very well be due to that. As you've confirmed the drop outs we've seen this side could very well be your restarting the router and such it doesn't look like the interference observed then is impacting your connection.

As it sounds like the issues you're seeing are solely wireless related I'd recommend running through the wireless improvement guide we have for the Hub One router below which should hopefully help on this front. Should issues look to be persisting then I'd recommend also trying to disable the 5Ghz frequency completely (this can be found on the same page you split the frequencies) and see if this look to help. If so, it may hint at other avenues we can go down to assist you with this one.

The guide below will show you how to log into the router and change the wireless channel as it's usually another router in the area on the same or similar channel that will be causing issues for both wireless frequencies. Before picking a channel I'd suggest downloading a free app on the android store called wifi analyzer (blue and white icon) which will scan your area for all the routers and show what channels they are on between 1-13. Although the above app isn't essential it helps you pick where your router would be best in terms of channels and saves a lot of time doing it via trial and error.

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to 192.168.1.254 If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.

2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Advanced Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'

3) Select the option for 'Wireless' followed by '5 GHz Wireless'. What we want to do to begin with is turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'Off' and update the SSID to be different. The easiest way would be to add '-5G' to the end so it is identified as its own connection. Once this is changed, we will need to keep an eye on it for a day or 2 to see if the issue continues. If it does, the next step would be to change the wireless channel. Keeping in mind the original 2.4Ghz unchanged name network connection would be the best to connect your devices  to for a stronger signal.  
(When deciding which device goes on what frequency keep in mind that the 5GHz is designed for close range stationary devices and standard 2.4GHz the one which gets the wireless around your property further.)

4) Following the above guide to get to your 'Advanced Settings' page, you will need to change the settings within the 2.4 GHz Wireless tab and the 5 GHz Wireless tab.

5) Under the correct heading, you will need to find 'Channel Selection' on the list and change this from 'Automatic' to any one of the other channels, This can also need doing under '5 GHz Wireless' to cover both signals. Give it 3-4 hours of testing to see if the issue still persists and try to change the channel again if you see little or no improvement.

Let us know how it goes.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@stuwhittaker - what you're experiencing in terms of Wi-Fi connectivity could well be related to some known issues with the current firmware implementation. More info in the 5GHz thread pinned to the top of this forum board.

I've pushed an update to your device that may help. You'll need to power the hub off/back on to apply it.

Hope it helps.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Just picking up on your comments of "Does it report this because of the weird 4 days offline?".  Where are you seeing anything reporting "4 days offline"?  The visual radio chart posted above has a line saying "4 days online".  If that is what you mean and was just misread, that is just how the chart has been written to show rather than having another 4 bars for those dates which would just be solid "online" bars.  4 of those isn't too bad, but there are plenty of people with well over 100 days of being online, which could then get messy!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

stuwhittaker
Hooked

Morning all !

You're quite right @pjmarsh - it turns out I can't read Smiley - thanks for pointing that out, I mistook online for offline. My bad. 

Thanks, @bobpullen for pushing the update - I saw that happen and come through in the logs, rebooted the router and it's taken effect

Previous: 4.7.5.1.83.8.263

Current: 4.7.5.1.83.8.289.1.1

This could very much be related and I've been playing around @BD with your suggestions, sadly after choosing various 2.4Ghz channels (1,6,11 so they don't overlap) I was still having the issues. Also having the issues when splitting out a separate 5Ghz SSID from the 2.4Ghz.

Surprisingly my observation on that, was the 5Ghz seemed to work somewhat ok when both enabled and separate SSID's but the 2.4Ghz was the one in the floor causing issues. 

For now, I have disabled 5Ghz altogether, things seem 'ok' for now (surprising based on the above) so I will keep an eye on it the rest of today. 

It might be time for me to look at maybe swapping back to the spare HH5 (if it still works right) - or splitting out for a dedicated modem and a separate mesh type kit/deployment. 

Watch this space Smiley

Cheers

-Stu

nickascii
Grafter

Hi sorry to jump on an old ish thread but I'm experiencing exactly the same, any chance you can push update out to me as still on.
Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263
@bobpullen
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@nickascii - See my reply to your post elsewhere.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵