cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One - Accessing internal servers via public domain name both internally and externally

FIXED
deadkenny
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hub One - Accessing internal servers via public domain name both internally and externally

Had some recent issues with my line which seems to be fixed except for a capped download speed issue compared to tests which show I should be getting full speed. I'm suspecting a profile issue, but engineer recommended replacing the antique Techniolor router & BT fibre modem combo and get a combined router from Plus Net.

So now I have delivery of a Hub One.

Been reading around some threads and I'm thinking this will just remain in the box. No DNS controls for starters!

Key thing for me is being able to access my internal servers on mobile devices both internally and externally.

e.g. my-domain.co.uk:80 -> my public IP -> NAT forward to server

(and similar for IMAP etc for mail server, my NAS media services etc)

This should work wherever I'm connected without reconfiguring the device.

The old Technicolor router had one particularly good thing there where it did support this.

If the Hub One does this as well then maybe I'm okay.

If I can't do that, ability to set DNS entries for the public names to internal IPs on the router is a workaround, and failing that point DNS to a DNS server I can run myself, but it looks like the Hub One is locked down and can't be changed.

I did also have issues with my NAS not registering the server name in the router so I went in with Telnet and set a static entry for it. I'm assuming there's no chance of this with the Hub One?

So, is this router no-go for my needs?

6 REPLIES 6
deadkenny
Rising Star

Re: Hub One - Accessing internal servers via public domain name both internally and externally

Though looking further it looks like you can disable the DHCP server?

In which case I may be able to run a DHCP & DNS server elsewhere and bypass the router for that. Just port forwarding on the router may have to be done manually with IP addresses maybe as the router won't have knowledge of any internal devices?

Again though, maybe it's just not worth the hassle if I can get my speeds fixed with the old kit I've got.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Hub One - Accessing internal servers via public domain name both internally and externally

It sounds like all you need to do is configure the necessary port forwarding rules on the Hub One. Not sure why you should need to fiddle with either DNS or DHCP.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

deadkenny
Rising Star

Before the Technicolor router I found all the routers I had wouldn't forward when connected to the internal LAN. In the past I've had to set up my own DNS. The Technicolor seemed to be an oddity that allowed internal forwarding.

Also concerned reading about issues with reliability of the Hub One, DNS issues etc and inability to pick other DNS servers than PlusNet ones.

Just really trying to work out if I should bother setting it up if I find it doesn't do what I want.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Fix

The Hub One supports NAT loopback so you don't need to set up any local DNS records.

It does not allow use of third party DNS addresses though.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

deadkenny
Rising Star

Thanks. "NAT loopback" is the term I was looking for but I complicatedly tried to explain the issue 😄
deadkenny
Rising Star

Took the plunge with the Hub One and sorts out speed issues and NAT loopback works.

Uggly web UI. Fixed DNS server I could work if there are issues with it, but will see for now. Nice to see a gigabit switch built in also. Okay for now though have concerns with so many posts claiming issues with it. Though I've turned off the WiFi as I use a separate TP-Link access point located in a better location (I wonder though if it's possible to combine them both in a mesh way. The TP-Link is a mesh device but the hub is not I assume and different manufacturer anyway).

Niggles -

Can't turn off the LEDs? It's in a room where people may sleep so I'm going to need to cover them up!

No syslog support but not critical. Just was nice to send the logs to my NAS syslog server and get alerts if there are issues.