cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub One 5GHz dropout

Moz
Grafter

Hub One 5GHz dropout

I have up to 9 WiFi connections to my Hub one and three ethernet connections . With exception of two of these wireless connections they are all in the same room as the Hub One. Normally 3 items connect at  5 GHz and the rest to 2.4 GHz. After a few days running like this suddenly all the 5 Ghz connections are lost and they reconnect at 2.4 Ghz. When that happens I can no longer connect my mobile phone using WiFi. If I recycle the Hub One everything goes back to normal with 3 x  5 Ghz connections and up to 6 at 2.4 GHz and my mobile phone connects and stays connected. Yesterday my Hub One connection dropped and restarted and it left me in the situation as described above. Is there anything I can do to rectify this?      

41 REPLIES 41
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Hub One 5GHz dropout

Hi there, 

Have you tried separating the two channels by changing the SSID of one of them?

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/getting-the-best-wifi-signal/

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Moz
Grafter

Thanks for your reply. Sorry for the delay I got locked out of my account. Yes, sometime ago I did separate the two channels but found that gave me problems with the kit connected to the 5 GHz channel so I put it back. Since then I've been getting this drop out problem. I'm happy to retry separating the channels again if it will help resolve this annoyance. I recycled my Hub One again yesterday and it is working properly again.    

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @Moz, thanks for the update.

We're glad that it's now working as expected.

If it does reoccur, we would certainly recommend splitting the 5Ghz as a first troubleshooting step. If your 5Ghz devices can also run on the 2.4Ghz, it may well be worth disabling the 5Ghz altogether.

Whilst not ideal it should certainly resolve the issue in the interim. If not, please let us know. -Owen

Moz
Grafter

Having split the 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz things improved but the 5 Ghz would just pack up eventually. If I recycle my router it all came back and worked fine. This is not ideal. I use the 5 Ghz because of the faster transfer rates. I recycled my router yesterday to get the 5 Ghz back working but now 1 day later and I cannot connect to it at 5Ghz. Last night if I made a connection I had a report back that although connected there was no internet connection. This morning I'm now not making a connection I just get the error message "Authentication Error". So what can I do now?     

LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Hi Moz,

Thanks for getting in touch.

An authentication error indicates incorrect logon details. Are you entering the correct username and password for the 5GHz Wi-Fi connection on your devices?

Thanks - LF

NigeBoy
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@Moz 

This is the same problem with 5 Ghz Wifi that many of us have been having since the firmware update.

The authentication error occurs when that happens as does the 'no internet' error for devices already connected.

I find it unbelievable that Plusnet staff are still in denial about this 4 months later and continue to give misleading and unhelpful advice.

Plusnet have made absolutely no progress on this.

@LordFoul 

I suggest you look at the following threads to familiarize yourself with the issue and how many customers are affected.

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Hub-One-firmware-update-now-no-5ghz-connection/td-p/1636711

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Hub-One-losing-internet-connection-on-5Ghz-WiFi-only/td-p/16...

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Could-this-be-a-bug-with-firmware-4-7-5-1-83-8-263-or-Window...

There are more but...

Moz
Grafter

The username and password are all correct. When I recycle to the router all connections are made properly without any further intervention from me. Trouble is after a few days or just recently in a few hours 5Ghz connections are lost and all devices connected then suffer with authentication errors when trying to reconnect or if they do connect have no internet access.  

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @Moz,

Thank you for confirming that the router is periodically dropping the wireless connections. As splitting the wireless bands hasn't resolved this issue, I'd recommend that you try changing the wireless channel as the next port of call. Before picking a channel I'd suggest downloading a free WiFi analyser app which will scan your area for all the routers and show what channels they are on between 1-13. Although the above app isn't essential it helps you pick where your router would be best in terms of channels and saves a lot of time doing it via trial and error.

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to 192.168.1.254 If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.

2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Advanced Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'

3) Under the correct heading, you will need to find 'Channel Selection' on the list and change this from 'Automatic' to any one of the other channels, This can also need doing under '5 GHz Wireless' to cover both signals. Give it 3-4 hours of testing to see if the issue still persists and try to change the channel again if you see little or no improvement. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Moz
Grafter

@NigeBoy Many thanks for that I had no idea this was so widespread.  I do have 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 as my software version. Being asked to disable the 5 Ghz and just use 2.4 Ghz Wifi is the craziest solution to a problem I've ever come across. Most of my devices revert to 2.4 Ghz anyway but it's very crowded and you're always competing for bandwidth.  Looks like I've a bit of reading to do. Sadly it seems that I'll have to be back.

Moz
Grafter

@EmilyD I've changed the 5 Ghz channel it was using Channel 48 automatically so I've dropped it down to Channel 40 initially and my devices remained connected after the transition.I did pick a channel above 52 but I got a warning that some of my devices may not work so for the moment I stuck with Channels in the 40s. I have a WiFi analyzer but there's little point in messing with the 2.4 Ghz  WiFi as I'm not having any issues with that apart from overcrowded channels which I have already optimised. I'll let you know how it all fares.   

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

That's great news @Moz.

Please keep an eye on it over the next 48 or so hours, letting us know how you get on.

If you need anything in the meantime, please don't hesitate to drop us a message.

Moz
Grafter

Since fixing the 5Ghz Channel to 40 I had no problems for 3 days. We had a power cut on the morning of Tuesday 30th for an hour and all came back well. However, yesterday Wednesday 31st I lost the 5Ghz and couldn't connect to my router using my mobile phone with a wireless connection to either the 2.4 or 5 Ghz. It is set up to use both and normally connects via 2.4 and then changes to 5. I have an Amazon Echo which is connected only via 5 Ghz and an Amazon Fire Stick which also connects to 5 Ghz but when I lose the 5 Ghz that reconnects at 2.4. The Echo is a good indicator of when I lose the 5Ghz because it moans about it. 

I recycled the Router last night and all is well again. 

Normally I have 8 items connected wirelessly, but when the 5Ghz goes down and 6 of the items default to the 2.4 I can't connect my mobile phone at all or loses connection when connected.

This is all very unsatisfactory and there is clearly a fault with the router. 

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @Moz,

I'm sorry to hear that the connection problems have returned. Your current router is outside of its 12 month's warranty and you're not currently in a contract with us. As that's the case, the following options are available for a replacement router:

- A new router can be purchased at any point for £99 + £6.99 Postage and packaging

- If you were to re-contract and get new monthly discounts set up we could waive the £40 and it would just be the £6.99 P+P. If you're looking to re-contract for a new router our customer options team can be contacted directly on: 0800 013 2632

- A 3rd party router can be purchased your side and we can send the relevant details you'd need to set it up with our connection (this'll need to be a VDSL compatible router).

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team